C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hedman Sidemount headers install problems (HELP!?!?!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:44 PM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Hedman Sidemount headers install problems (HELP!?!?!)

What's the secret to get the left side header past the steering box? I have the left side suspension half dis-mantled but still can't get both the header and the steering box past the frame rail.

I've unbolted the steering box from the frame rail, but with the header discharge going at the same angle as the steering box... there ain't room??!!? for both.

Do I have to completely remove the steering box and drop it in from the top after the header is in place? Looks like that's going to involve taking the master cylinder off as well... what a PIA!!!!

By the way, I'm working on an '81... but this should be the same on anything '68 and forward for C3's. Hedman's instructions are the usual vague "this bolt in this hole" crap.

There's got to be a way...

Ideas? Help? Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

kdlp
Old 06-25-2006, 02:36 PM
MEAN72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The secret is to use a hammer. Assuming that there is only a minor interference, place a small dent in the header to allow for the clearance. Note I said “small”.

After re-reading your post, maybe I misunderstood your question. I was referring to an interference existing after installation, not during installation on how to get it past other obstacles. With sufficient clearances from below I have always been able to 'jiggle' it past obstacles, but then I have a BB. Sorry, I guess I don't have an answer for you.

Last edited by MEAN72; 06-25-2006 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

weird...i have hedman sidemounts, and they go up just fine on the drivers side...you shouldn't have to take off the steering box just to install headers...
Old 06-25-2006, 04:00 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you are trying to install it from the top. Jack the car up and slide it in from the bottom. I have them as well and have never had trouble installing/removing them.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Berserker78
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CrossedFlags77
It sounds like you are trying to install it from the top. Jack the car up and slide it in from the bottom. I have them as well and have never had trouble installing/removing them.
I agree. I just installed a set of headers this weekend (not hedmann, but same deal). It would ALMOST go in from the top, but the steering box kept it out. Coming up from the bottom was a piece of cake.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:23 PM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

After clanging and banging with the pickle fork I finally seperated the steering box and completely removed the box. As before, I put the header on from the bottom up and loosely dropped in a pair of bolts. Then I dropped the steering box back in place from the top.

Everything fits , but what a PIA. My steering column was all ready disconnected as I hadn't reconnected it from having the body off. Had I known these headers were going to arrive as quickly as they did I would have waited a few weeks before dropping the body. (By the way, that's a pat on the back for the Jet-Hot guys, what a great bunch to work with. They got my headers coated and rounded me up collectors with oxy bungs and coated them as well. It was like they got here (in Alaska) before they hit the credit card bill....almost.)

Anyway, aside from some reassembly of the tie rods, steering, etc. the job is done. Shouldn't be that big a deal to drop in some headers, but with the side mount style, well they're just a little more bulky... Would be nice if the manufacturer would just let you know up front.

I suspect earlier Corvettes might have a little easier install based on a PM I received.

kdlp
Old 06-08-2014, 07:52 PM
usmcnelson
Cruising

hey quick piggy back question, any of you running or have experiance in knowing if angle plug heads work? i have a set of well ported old 292 turbo heads and i believe them to be angle plug. i have read they fit AFR angle plug heads but I am not sure they are the same angle
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

turbo heads are angle plug. there are several ways to deal with it if its a problem at all.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I swapped out a set of Headman sidepipe headers for Hooker sidepipes on my '80. Both the Headman and Hookers went in and out from the bottom no problem. Not sure why you had difficulties. The Hookers I had to "ding" for clearance near the steering box because it was close, but still installed no problem.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i used the OBX headers and they went right together . i didn't have to clearance anything, its close to the steering box but it doesn't touch.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 PM
MAXCO
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it in finally. Not sure why it was such a PITA for you...I had my hedman headers in and out last summer with no problems at all. Mine is a '78 but not sure why it would make much of a difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Hedman Sidemount headers install problems (HELP!?!?!)

Quick Reply: Hedman Sidemount headers install problems (HELP!?!?!)