C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car moved on it's own finally!! But no forward gears, Clutch adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 05:14 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Car moved on it's own finally!! But no forward gears, Clutch adjustment?

The car goes into reverse and I can back the car up but I have no forward movement. The trannie is a newly rebuilt M20. I can manually shift through all the gears and whenever a gear is engaged you cannot push the car. The clutch doesn't release until the very top. There are no bad noises or grinding. when I do get the clutch almost all the way to the top the car starts to choke down. Is it possible that the clutch is not releasing for forward motion? Clutch needs adjustment?
Old 07-09-2006, 06:13 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Does it sound like it's trying to kill the motor when you put it in first? Sounds like you have linkage issues and it's not coming out of reverse when you put it in first maybe? In that case, you have two gears engaged at once and it won't move. Check linkage close.

Yes, sounds like you need to add some freeplay to clutch.

You're getting closer!!

JIM
Old 07-09-2006, 07:03 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Jim,

thanks for the advice. yeah it does seem that part of my problem is linkage related. Reverse did not disengage a couple of times. I did get it disengaged and still no forward movement. I am going to jack it up again and do some more adjusting with the clutch and the reverse linkage. For the clutch do I need to put more pressure on the clutch fork with the adjusting rod or less?

I also melted my oil pressure guage tube. What a mess!!!!!

Thanks
Wade
Old 07-09-2006, 08:34 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Sounds like you need more free-travel if it's releasing that high, so in that case you will need less pressure on rod. Make it shorter and get some free travel in the linkage.

What shifter do you have?

JIM
Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Competition plus with speed direct linkage.

Oh and I got my valves adjusted. Thanks for the help!

Wade
Old 07-09-2006, 08:57 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say you are locking the transmission in two gears. If you have that cable for steering lock I would not use it till the shifter is adjusted.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:20 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Wade, I had a similar problem when I first started mine. I put in a brand new Competition+ shifter. Most of the time the sucker would not disengage reverse willingly. I spent about a month trying for figure that one out. I finally gave up and took it to a restoration/hot rod shop. One of the few times my care has been in anyone else's hands.

Next day the guy calls me back and said it's the shifter! I said but it's brand new! He said the new one's are junk.

I took my old Competition plus shifter to him and all is well. I'm not saying that is your problem but just a heads up.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:29 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When you installed the throwout bearing, did you clip the bearing flange into the fork where the little steel clips are? Hopefully you didn't.

Ask me how I know this
Old 07-10-2006, 07:29 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 71coupe
When you installed the throwout bearing, did you clip the bearing flange into the fork where the little steel clips are? Hopefully you didn't.

Ask me how I know this
Isn't that what the steel clips are for???
Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Thanks for the heads up Len. I can get it to come out of reverse if I put it back in and then pull it out a second time but now consistently. Hopefully I can get it worked out and not have the problem you have but you never know. Also, thanks for the expansion tank pics they helped a lot. I got everything mounted and connected yesterday and seems to be working fine.

71coupe and sly vette,

The TO bearing did fit in the fork properly with the clip. The Center force bearing gave specific instructions on right and wrong fitment so I am pretty confident that isn't the issue. I beleive that the clutch linkage is just way out of adjustment since I have to rev the motor pretty high and the trannie doesn't engage in reverse till the top of the pedal travel and just starts to act like it is engaging after the pedal is at the top end of travel. I have the car up on jackstands now so hopefully I can run through the gear box tonight and get it adjusted.

Thanks
Wade
Old 07-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Zimo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sly vette
Isn't that what the steel clips are for???
Nope. Like 71 coupe said, if you clip it in, you've just reduced the freeplay an inch or more, & you will be fighting the steel clips every time you press the clutch pedal...Exactly like this problem.

The clips or (whatever they are) are only there to take up the void in the bearing groove - it keeps the fork snug with the bearing. It's not designed to hold the bearing on the fork.

Get notified of new replies

To Car moved on it's own finally!! But no forward gears, Clutch adjustment?

Quick Reply: Car moved on it's own finally!! But no forward gears, Clutch adjustment?