C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most accurate reading with a temp gun?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Most accurate reading with a temp gun?

I am trying to reset my spal fan controller and I am beginning to think my gauge on the interior is a little off. Using my IR temp gun, where is the most accurate place to get a reading?

I would like to set my fans at 180 & 200.

Thanks
Shane
Old 07-10-2006, 08:13 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd shoot both the upper radiator hose housing on the radiator and the t-stat housing on the intake manifold and average the two readings and that will give you the most accurate reading.
This is direct from Tom DeWitt in a prior post.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:46 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Originally Posted by BarryK
I'd shoot both the upper radiator hose housing on the radiator and the t-stat housing on the intake manifold and average the two readings and that will give you the most accurate reading.
This is direct from Tom DeWitt in a prior post.
Thanks. So radiator inlet and t-housing, avergaed and done.
Secondary question...I have a 195t-stat in there now so if it does not open till then how accurate will that calc be before then?

I guess this lends itself to a basic quesiotn I have never thought of...Does a T-stat stay fully closed until temp reached or does it open gradually as it approaches the temp at which point is then fully open? The gradual opening makes more sense since it is spring actuated (temp goes up, spring constant goes down?)?

Shane
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

on a '73 was a 195º t-stat stock/ I would have thought that in '73 it would have been a 180º. The newer models such as my '78 is 195º but i'm not sure what year they changed over.
The highter temp t-stat was done mostly for emission purposes - the higher operating temp helped keep emissions down.
You may want to drop down to a 180º t-stat.

don't take your IR readings until the car is up to operating temps and the t-stat opens. You will be able to tell when that happens by holding onto the upper rad hose and once it opens up you should be able to feel the coolant flow thru the hose.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 AM
ShaneLU97
Drifting

Originally Posted by BarryK
on a '73 was a 195º t-stat stock/ I would have thought that in '73 it would have been a 180º. The newer models such as my '78 is 195º but i'm not sure what year they changed over.
The highter temp t-stat was done mostly for emission purposes - the higher operating temp helped keep emissions down.
You may want to drop down to a 180º t-stat.

don't take your IR readings until the car is up to operating temps and the t-stat opens. You will be able to tell when that happens by holding onto the upper rad hose and once it opens up you should be able to feel the coolant flow thru the hose.
Will do that, thanks. My old t-stat was failing and the 195 was the only one they had.

Get notified of new replies

To Most accurate reading with a temp gun?

Quick Reply: Most accurate reading with a temp gun?