C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut to fit spark plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Cut to fit spark plug wires

I have a set of Accel 8mm cut to fit spark plug wires. In this set, the boots for the plug end are already on and they are straight. The rest of the set has the metal pieces and both points type and HEI type boots. My question is what type of tool is needed to cut these wires and how much of the wire must be stripped before crimping on the metal pieces that atatch to the terminals on the distributor cap
Old 07-11-2006, 09:36 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 07-11-2006, 11:29 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a long time, but for some reason I remember that crimper coming with my MSD's. Worked fine. Just make sure you get the dilectric grease (not sure of correct spelling) to make sliding the boots on easier. It also seals up the end of the wire from moisture, etc.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
mensch53
Racer

I used wire cutters to cut them to length and then a sharp knife to strip the insulation. Nothing special required here. Just make sure you dont cut the actual conductive wire in the middle when stripping the insulation.

I stripped about half an inch to 3/4 inch of insulation then installed the metal contact then the boot. Dont forget to put the boot on the wire before you crimp the metal contact into place.

After you do the first one, they will go quickly
Old 07-11-2006, 11:57 PM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by mensch53
I used wire cutters to cut them to length and then a sharp knife to strip the insulation. Nothing special required here. Just make sure you dont cut the actual conductive wire in the middle when stripping the insulation.

I stripped about half an inch to 3/4 inch of insulation then installed the metal contact then the boot. Dont forget to put the boot on the wire before you crimp the metal contact into place.

After you do the first one, they will go quickly
This is the method I used last year and it worked fine. The specific tool is nice but not necessary. A pair of wire cutters, a razor knife of some sorts and a pair of plain old pliers will get the job done.

And as mensch53 said, don't forget to put the boots on BEFORE you crimp on the terminal. :o However if you do forget on one, you will probably only do it once.

Good Luck!

Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 AM
bruced267
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont forget the crimper die it will crimp the metal just right regular wire crimpers dont work that well. should find the die at your local parts store near the cut to fit wires
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 AM
JustinD
Safety Car

I just did mine tonight, I've had them for a while but was busy. I crimped mine first. then put the boot on. What is the problem with that? I just followed the instructions.

Done mind the coolant all over that is the side effect of me begin in the process of changing the gasket on the goose neck.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinD
I just did mine tonight, I've had them for a while but was busy. I crimped mine first. then put the boot on. What is the problem with that?
I did the same. Actually easier in my opinion.It's a bitch trying to get that 8mm wire through a 90 degree bend in the boot so you can put the terminal on after. Once the metal end was on, I shot is with a quick spray of silicone and it slide right in
Old 07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
JustinD
Safety Car

Yup, I used dielectric greese as my lubrication.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:53 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

I installed a set of accel universal wires. The $35 pliers from summit really helps. It strips the insulation without hurting the core and it makes a perfect crimp. My instructions said to install the boots after putting on the terminal. Just take a pocket screwdriver and hold it along side the wire with the blade inside the terminal. This will make the wire rigid enough to insert it into the boot.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bondoboy
I installed a set of accel universal wires. The $35 pliers from summit really helps. It strips the insulation without hurting the core and it makes a perfect crimp.
I sure agree about the tool....makes them look factory new. However I put the boot on first and used the dielectric grease.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Default silicone spray

Use silicone spray to ease boot install.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tigers123
Use silicone spray to ease boot install.
Is there an echo in here? jk

Get notified of new replies

To Cut to fit spark plug wires

Quick Reply: Cut to fit spark plug wires