C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on urethane bumper refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:39 PM
cedars54
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on urethane bumper refinishing

My 77's front bumper has a few paint chips, one large, and I need to know what can be used for filler prior to wet sanding and priming. Can regular body putty be used, or is there something else that is better? I don't want the repair to crack after painting. I know that a flex additive is added to the finish paint to give it flexibility, so I want to get it right.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:55 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

see the tech article by Lars called:
"Rubber Bumper Tech Paper.pdf"
on my website tech articles page.
http://69.253.166.197/page1/page65/page65.html
Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sand the whole bumper with 400. Feather out the chips with 150. If the paint is thick you may need to apply some polyester putty. Otherwise, just build up the area with fill primer. It's a good idea to use flex additive. Block the repair. Now you can paint it. It's a good idea to use a flex in the paint also. When you fill prime, use a urethane primer. When someone says use acrylic, that's lacquer and anyone with an old car knows how good lacquer holds up. If you have any questions, send me a pm.

Last edited by bondoboy; 07-18-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:30 PM
cedars54
6th Gear

Something new to me,these rubber bumpers.Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:14 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had the same with the front bumper cover on my '81. I spent 3 days sanding it down with 400 until all scratches/chips had been smoothed out (most of the time was spent removing a lot of the "wavyness" & getting it to sit flush - sanding down the paint didn't take very long at all). I asked the painter NOT to use any filler as it was meant to be wavy & also to use a lot of flex agent in the paint. He used filler and, as I expected, it's since sunk (or the paint on it has) so can be seen, plus he seems to have scrimped on the flex agent as small cracks have appeared on the corners. I would be extremely angry about wasting 3 days on the preparation, but looking at the huge amount of micro blistering that's occured on the (new) lower air dam he did, the bumper cover looks pretty good in comparisson Make sure you pick a painter who knows what he's doing, and if he says "Don't tell me how to do my job" when you ask if he'll use the correct primer then walk away. It's a real bummer watching one part of the car you thought you'd finished looking worse and worse as the weeks go by.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 AM
90ZR1
Racer

I didn't know you could repair a tear in the bumper. Wow, I'll have to look more into that!

Get notified of new replies

To Question on urethane bumper refinishing

Quick Reply: Question on urethane bumper refinishing