C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Profile BBC EFI intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:45 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Profile BBC EFI intake

Folks,
Here is a shot of my first attempt at a performance EFI intake solution that will fit under the stock BB hood. The plan is to use either a GM TPI throttle body or two single 65mm throttle bodies, and add a crossover pipe to make the two plenum's common. Lower half is a 502 ramjet.

Comments and suggestions always welcomed.
Attached Images  

Last edited by shafrs3; 08-10-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:10 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Cool. Nice work.

Do you have the fuel rail for the Ramjet? If you do I would like to know what you did with the end of rail purge valve. Mine points up right in the front. Looks like I will have to bend it down. I really wish the fuel and return lines came off the passenger side. What are you getting for hood clearance at the front of the manifold? I think I have 8" from block to underside/center of hood.

Two 65mm throttle bodies sound like they may be too big for a street car. I know people who have swapped their TPI 48's with 58's and not been happy with tip in throttle response.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:23 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Not bad...How low do you need it to be? I build a lot of sheet metal intakes and EFI single plane conversions (mainly for the C4 guys) that stay under the stock hood.
-Jeb
Old 07-19-2006, 04:47 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jburnett
Not bad...How low do you need it to be? I build a lot of sheet metal intakes and EFI single plane conversions (mainly for the C4 guys) that stay under the stock hood.
-Jeb
Do you have any photos of what you can do for a LT1 intake.
more plenum would be nice, and I don't need stock height!!.
I am doing a 95 LT1 swap in my 81.

Shafrs3, that is a cool intake build, hats off to u. If it works
will you build me one also?? PM me if you have to.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:05 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Originally Posted by MEGALADON
Do you have any photos of what you can do for a LT1 intake.
more plenum would be nice, and I don't need stock height!!.
I am doing a 95 LT1 swap in my 81.

Shafrs3, that is a cool intake build, hats off to u. If it works
Sheet metal LT1...
-Jeb

Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

THATS AWESOME
Old 07-19-2006, 06:39 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BBShark
Cool. Nice work.

Do you have the fuel rail for the Ramjet? If you do I would like to know what you did with the end of rail purge valve. Mine points up right in the front. Looks like I will have to bend it down. I really wish the fuel and return lines came off the passenger side. What are you getting for hood clearance at the front of the manifold? I think I have 8" from block to underside/center of hood.

Two 65mm throttle bodies sound like they may be too big for a street car. I know people who have swapped their TPI 48's with 58's and not been happy with tip in throttle response.
BBShark,
I'm going to cut that bent section off and replace it with a custom bent piece. I got the fuel rail from an EFI truck application, which I believe is the same thing. The fuel connections are on the drivers side, not much room on the pass side because of the distributor. My existing setup is measuring 8.25" up from the forward lifter valley rail, leaving about 1/2 of clearance to the front of the hood. This setup is 1/4" below that.

The guys with the 58mm throttle bodies, what kind of tip-in problems are they experiencing and are they small blocks? Mine is 496ci and the existing throttle body (4V Holley) flows 900 cfm, all 4 barrels operate as one, no tip in problems.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:55 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MEGALADON
...If it works
If IS the operative word here. This is also my first attempt at aluminum welding, I'm using a consumer grade MIG gun and it is not the ideal setup, but it sticks.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Simmo
Pro

-Jeb
Have you done any low profile BBC intakes? I love your work.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:56 PM
jburnett
Drifting

Originally Posted by Simmo
Have you done any low profile BBC intakes? I love your work.
It's been awhile but I built one for a BBC/C4 Vette conversion about two years ago. I'll have to dig up the 3.5" floppy that the pics are on; I used to have a Sony Mavica digital camera and used to put them on the 3.5's... Problem is I have a stack about 4' tall of discs, only part of them are actually named! If I can find the disc I'll post some pics. Full sheet metal like the above LT1 manifold... Entire manifold height if I recall completely was 7.250" from the front china rail on the block... It cleared a stock C4 hood by .250".

Shafrs3- I think you're doing a very admirable job working with a MIG on aluminum. I'd rather get my d!ck caught in a bear trap than MIG aluminum!!!!
-Jeb
Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Default More progress...

65mm throttle bodies attached, hopefully they're not too big.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 11:28 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Shafrs3- I think you're doing a very admirable job working with a MIG on aluminum. I'd rather get my d!ck caught in a bear trap than MIG aluminum!!!!
-Jeb
Thanks Jeb, it's been a bit of a steep ramp-up on the 'ole learning curve.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That's great. I have been planning in making a manifold for my BB, but I never considered doing it that way. That seems to eliminate the really hard parts: ie locating the distributor and making sure the flanges are flat. Can you please take some close up shots of the injector bosses?

I have a throttle body from a Ford GT I am planning on using. I was thinking of making two separate plenums and joing them just behind the throttle body as Dodge does with the Viper intake. Anyway, great job, and please post more pics and results when you get it all installed and running.

Ken

PS. What computer are you running?
Old 08-10-2006, 02:57 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Ken,
Thanks for the complements. Your right, using the lower half of the Ram Jet manifold saves a ton of work. Originally I wanted something similar to a Weber down draft configuration, but decided that keeping throttle plates synchronized would be a pain. This is a work in progress, I still need to decide where to locate the IAC. My ECU is from Holley.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Megasquirt system, and am in the middle of getting it setup on the car. Right now, I am just using a throttle body with 4 injectors placed below the throttle blades.

From the last pic, it looks like the injector bosses are positioned towards the center of the manifold? That should make the plumbing of the fuel rails and lines a little harder, but also cleaner. Please keep posting pics.

Ken
Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

The bosses are in fact tilted inward. I like this configuration, it makes for a tidy package. All the wiring, injectors and fuel plumbing will reside inside the lifter valley under the plenum. I'm using the fuel log from the GM 8.1 liter truck EFI application which I believe is the same P/N used in the Ram Jet so fuel plumbing is nearly plug-in-play.

Last edited by shafrs3; 02-19-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
dsagers
Pro

Default 90 mm TB

If you want a big TB for a low price, look for an early 90s TB from an Infinity Q45 with the 4.5L engine. Usually $100 on ebay, much less $$ than some of the custom and after market TB.

Get notified of new replies

To Low Profile BBC EFI intake

Old 08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Default More progress...

Modified factory fuel rail to locate pressure gage fitting to the side and installed injectors. Lots of room under that fuel log for other fun stuff.
Attached Images  

Last edited by shafrs3; 02-04-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:21 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Looks like you made a new thermostat housing. Is that what I'm seeing?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:22 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Didn't make it, it's a Moroso unit that's been trimed down and a plate welded to the top to eliminate one gasket.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Low Profile BBC EFI intake