C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you test the wiper switch? 1971

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:29 AM
71Sunflower
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you test the wiper switch? 1971

Door opens, but no wipers. The override switch (which makes sure that the door is open before the wiping starts) works. I assume that 12V need to go to this switch, and if the door is open, the 12V get passed on to the wiper motor? However, I do not get 12V on either contact coming in to the ovveride switch.

I checked the fuse and it is okay. I am suspicious of the wiper switch. How do you test it? I don't want to spend $40 on a new switch only to find out that it was okay and I can't send it back. The switch has three terminals. I disconnected the plug, but get no contact across any of the terminals, unless I press the switch for the 'washer' function.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

George
Old 07-20-2006, 03:02 AM
CAGregK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the switch under the steering column? It is a round black **** between the two pull down switches. It cuts the power to the wiper motor off when it's turned in one direction(can't remember if it's right or left). If your wiper switch was bad the door wouldn't come up either so that probably isn't the problem.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:16 PM
71Sunflower
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAGregK
Have you checked the switch under the steering column? It is a round black **** between the two pull down switches. It cuts the power to the wiper motor off when it's turned in one direction(can't remember if it's right or left). If your wiper switch was bad the door wouldn't come up either so that probably isn't the problem.
I ordered a new "service switch", as the old one looks like it is toast and has the **** missing. I broke down and ordered a wiper switch as well. I figured that I can always sell it again for half price if it wasn't the culprit.

I will keep you posted.

George
Old 07-21-2006, 12:56 AM
CAGregK
Instructor

In the meantime,if you have a jumper wire with alligator clips lower the plate with the switches from the steering column and run a jumper wire from the incoming lead to the cutoff switch to the outgoing lead. If the wipers work you know it's the cutoff switch, which I really think is your problem.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:20 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by CAGregK
In the meantime,if you have a jumper wire with alligator clips lower the plate with the switches from the steering column and run a jumper wire from the incoming lead to the cutoff switch to the outgoing lead. If the wipers work you know it's the cutoff switch, which I really think is your problem.
+1

I have had problems with both my switches. 1st time, the main wiper switch apparently had a bad connection, I took it off and cleaned it, worked it and reinstalled and it worked. Then a few weeks later, the wipers quit working again. Then I jumped the overide **** switch and they started working again. So now that switch is bad.

Last weekend on my dad's 69' BB, his wipers would not work nor would the door and it turned out to be the main wiper switch. He is replacing both switches.

Wiper system is tricky because it all goes to a ground. Hard to find the circuit break.

I would jump your overide switch first, if its not that or fuses, then go to the main switch.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:39 PM
CAGregK
Instructor

If he is getting no power to the switch on the firewall then it is not getting through the cutoff switch under the dash as the power passes through this first. I'm pretty sure that if the switch was bad the power wouldn't get to the selenoid that sends the vacuum signal through to the wiper door.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:48 PM
71Sunflower
Advanced

Thanks everyone. I actually have the factory manual for 71, but your input is so much more valuable. I will do some testing tonight, as soon as the temperatures are under 100 degrees. Parts come in tomorrow, so I should have wipers by mid week. If I want to sell the car consignment, they want all the "safety" items intact.

George

Get notified of new replies

To How do you test the wiper switch? 1971

Quick Reply: How do you test the wiper switch? 1971