C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent help needed: Starter wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 PM
mensch53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent help needed: Starter wiring

I have been having this problem where the starter will not activate and start the car. After waiting a few seconds, it will then start. Doesnt seem to be a heat or battery issue since it always starts, just sometimes I get nothing when I turn the key.

Took the starter off and had it tested and everything is fine.

Put the starter back on and the car started right up. I went to turn the car off and the car would turn off. Turned the key to the off position and nothing happens. Car keeps running.

What did I do wrong?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:42 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the ignition switch. It may be having issues with determining whether the key is in the off or on position.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 PM
mensch53
Racer

Originally Posted by dgruenke
It could be the ignition switch. It may be having issues with determining whether the key is in the off or on position.
Yeah, the ignition switch was my next stop on tracking down the initial problem, but I wouldnt think the turn-off problem would start the instant I put the starter back on. I have to believe that I did something wrong with the wiring on the starter.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:52 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

There are 2 wires on the positive side of coil-remove the one coming from the starter solenoid(think it is yellow on 69)start and see if it turns off now-if it does the solenoid is shorted---or with key see if that wire has 12 volts on it
Old 07-30-2006, 06:54 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

could you have swung the little wire on the R term over against the large batt. terminal?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:56 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the starter cranks, does it crank normally or slowly?? I tend to agree w/ dgruenke- sounds like the problem's in your ignition switch. I don't think you did anything wrong, and if I remember correctly the switch is reasonably easy to change- drop the column and it should be sitting on the top of the column about 8" forward of the lock cylinder. You may also want to check the linkage between the lock cylinder and the switch as well as the mechanism inside the lock cylinder to make sure that it is operating the ignition switch properly. I have an '86 Ford truck that has a very similar setup for actuating the ignition switch and the linkage fell apart causing the switch to work intermittently like you describe for awhile befor it finally let go altogether. Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 07:04 PM
mensch53
Racer

Originally Posted by dwncchs
There are 2 wires on the positive side of coil-remove the one coming from the starter solenoid(think it is yellow on 69)start and see if it turns off now-if it does the solenoid is shorted---or with key see if that wire has 12 volts on it
Pulled that wire and it continued to run. I will get back under the car and see if there is something shorting the connections.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

It has to be fed by 1 of those wires and that is where the problem is.The fuzzy one goes to the ignition switch.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:34 PM
mensch53
Racer

Originally Posted by dwncchs
It has to be fed by 1 of those wires and that is where the problem is.The fuzzy one goes to the ignition switch.
Thanks, guys. I took all the connections off and reattached them. That seems to have taken care of the immediate problem as the car now turns off. Must have just had two wires too close to each other or something.

Thanks again for all the help.

Now on to replacing the ignition switch...

Get notified of new replies

To Urgent help needed: Starter wiring

Quick Reply: Urgent help needed: Starter wiring