C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the underhood wiring '71!?

Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Default Replacing the underhood wiring '71!?

I've ordered wiring harnesses to replace the wiring forward of the firewall on my '71. These include the engine, A/C, lamps, headlights, etc. My question: does anyone have any hints to guide me? I have the LectricLimited diagram and an Assembly Manual. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Todbo
Burning Brakes

I'm guessing the old one is gone? the harness will come alittle pre-bent to help you with installation , if you haven't ordered it yet , you can contact them and have it customized , ie. wired for an Hei , instead of pts distrib , sorry i re-read ur post , see you have already ordered.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by merlin5353
I've ordered wiring harnesses to replace the wiring forward of the firewall on my '71. These include the engine, A/C, lamps, headlights, etc. My question: does anyone have any hints to guide me? I have the LectricLimited diagram and an Assembly Manual. Thanks.
It's fairly straight forward. Most of the connectors will only connect to it's corresponding mate. Only ones to watch are the starter solenoid and horn relay since they have screw terminals and could be connected wrong. I have a 71' (but w/o) air so if you run into a problem I can go look at mine. The AIM is very useful for this project'
Old 07-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Duke94
...The AIM is very useful for this project'

Almost all of the connections are shown in the AIM.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:56 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks to all! BTW, I'm replacing my harnesses. I've had that 'quiet' sensation too many times! The previous owners musta used a mile of electrical tape and splices to keep'r running. I'll tackle the dash if I survive this project. I decided to proceed with this when my Amp gage quit, after my horn, after my ect, etc, etc....

Last edited by merlin5353; 07-31-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:01 PM
griffths
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once area that I had difficulty in was the A/C harness. It is wrapped up with the engine harness but are sold as two seperate harnesses from LectricLimited. When I replaced my harnesses (A/C and engine) I had to guess where the two should attach together and guessed wrong. I used the original as a guide but still got it wrong and had to remove the harness and retape them together to get them to fit correctly. Also you should not use regular electrical tape (the kind with a sticky back) but instead use the special wiring harness wrapping tape that doesn't have a sticky back.

Edit: I just read your latest post and can tell you that if you replace the A/C harness you will need to pull at least the center console out to get the A/C wiring installed. You will also make your life a lot easier if you remove the R/H lower dash pad as well and since you are already "mostly' there you should replace your heater core and since you have all of the duct work out you should replace the seals to get better air flow, etc........it just goes on and on.

Are you sure that you need/still want to replace the A/C harness?

Regards,

Jay

Last edited by griffths; 07-31-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:26 PM
TexasAxMan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a stupid question, but since I'm a newbie, please take it easy on me.

What is the AIM?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:58 PM
grybdn
Pro

assembly instruction manual(AIM) don't have one get one.
There's gay on here who sells color wiring diagrams, it big enough to hang on the wall, thats where mine is anyway.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 PM
rthawk1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dash harness

I spent a couple of months this winter working on my '72 dash wiring harness...the old one was a mess. A previous poster is correct in many ways..

1) get a color coded wiring diagram. I got on from the forum that was 8.5 x 11 that was laminated that flips front to back. Being inside the car I did not want to keep getting in/out of the car to look at a wall chart.

2) The assembly manual was perfect to give me a read on what each connector looked like and how it fitted back into the car. I had no problem leaving the project for a couple days and knowing right where I left off.

3) once you are inside some areas you might as well do the other projects while you are there. I found a missing speaker, a bad radio, bad antenna wire, repainted a lot of small parts, replaced light bulbs, etc. Since I did the dash, I would think the engine would be a snap.

Good luck!

rt
Old 07-31-2006, 09:59 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by grybdn
There's gay on here who sells color wiring diagrams
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 AM
71SoCal
Racer

It's a big job! I did my engine, forward lamp, a/c, and dash main harnesses last year on my '71. All from Lectric Limited, and all were perfect reproductions of the originals.

When you're connecting the forward lamp harness to the firewall, first take off the left-side cover (the gill cover???). It makes accessing it much easier.

Yes, the a/c is also some work since it goes through the firewall and out to the engine bay. The right-side dash and center console will need to come out. Before pushing the harnesses through the firewall, put some grease on the rubber bushings...they seat much easier that way...same w/the fiber optic line.

I'd also recommend doing one at a time, that way you can have the old positions as a reference.

Good luck...
Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I've got an AIM, LectricLimited 'wall' chart and digital camera. Where do I find a color chart? I'm gonna overload on info BEFORE I dive in. Also, after hearing about the A/C harness, I may wait till fall to replace it. That way I'll have my new stereo, heater core, etc for my dash phase. SOOOPER help from you all; thanks...
Old 08-01-2006, 01:41 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

There's gay on here who sells color wiring diagrams,

I am HAPPY not GAY

Or did you typo the word guy

don
Old 08-01-2006, 01:58 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

assembly instruction manual(AIM) don't have one get one.
There's gay on here who sells color wiring diagrams, it big enough to hang on the wall, thats where mine is anyway.
I gotta know: who is the 'guy' who sells color wiring diagrams?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

I've got an AIM, LectricLimited 'wall' chart and digital camera. Where do I find a color chart? I'm gonna overload on info BEFORE I dive in. Also, after hearing about the A/C harness, I may wait till fall to replace it. That way I'll have my new stereo, heater core, etc for my dash phase. SOOOPER help from you all; thanks...

PM sent.
Don
Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
NJ68
Intermediate

I gotta know: who is the 'guy' who sells color wiring diagrams?
Hope this helps...I believe this is who you are looking for…this is the reply I received from Don when I requested his wiring diagrams:

“I have the 1953 through 1981 wiring diagrams drawn in full color. All of my drawings are printed in full color to match what was on the car originally, the size is about 22x34" and are laminated in 5 mil clear plastic on both sides.
The drawings are year specific and each year covers coupe and converts. Included on each drawing are all electrical options, fuse/circuit breakers (with their ratings) and lamps (with their numbers).
The drawings for the C3 Corvettes also include the color coded vacuum drawings for the headlamps, heater-a/c controls, and for the ealy C3s the windshield wiper door.”

Donald Olson
Olson Engineering
214 Prairie Circle
Bolingbrook, IL 60440-2720
vetsvette2002@yahoo.com
Old 08-01-2006, 03:23 PM
griffths
Racer

I have to jump in here and say that there is NO better wiring diagram that what Don produces. I was using the wiring diagram out of the FSM and it was OK, but I was getting tired of flipping between the pages to trace wires (At least until I accidentially ripped out one of the pages flipping back and forth) Don's wiring diagram is laminated so you can touch it all you want with greasy fingers and then just wipe it off when you are finished.

Best money I have spent to date on anything related to the 'Vette.

If you are really sick you can buy one unlaminated and have it framed (Not that I have ever thought of doing that) and hang it on the wall in the house.

Thanks Don!

Regards,

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing the underhood wiring '71!?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I received my wiring harnesses today! I ordered them Sunday. Super fast service from LectricLimited. BTW, they were recommended by my mechanic. P.S.: I ordered a diagram from Don...........
Old 08-02-2006, 10:13 AM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

I received my wiring harnesses today! I ordered them Sunday. Super fast service from LectricLimited. BTW, they were recommended by my mechanic. P.S.: I ordered a diagram from Don...........
John,
Ships today too , when my receptionist arrives that is

Don
Old 08-03-2006, 04:08 AM
grybdn
Pro

sorry Don, s/b guy. love my diagram

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the underhood wiring '71!?