C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? does antique TITLE affect value ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default ? does antique TITLE affect value ?

I'm considering antique plates here in South Carolina. Other than a minimal ($15) one-time fee, they offer a large yearly savings because antiques are exempt from yearly licensing, property tax & road use fees. Of course, use is restricted but I think that will not be an issue with me. My concern is NOT about restricted use.

But there's another possible hitch, a rather new twist on old SC procedure: when applying for an antique plate, one must surrender "existing" TITLE to SCDMV and a "new" TITLE is issued that designates vehicle as an ANTIQUE.

Do you think having an antique TITLE will affect valuation??
... up or down?? ... now or in future?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I can't see how the antique title would affect the value of a vehicle.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 AM
76texvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Ed Blue 03
Racer

Nope. Everyone knows the car qualifies as an antique. It may be a plus, a potential buyer may think the car was babied a little more.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:32 AM
lucky76
Racer

You should check on the process to go back to a regular title so you
can tell a potential buyer what is involved. That might be first question
you'll get when trying to sell it. Also, an Antique in one state might not
be an Antique in another and will have to be registered again. Will it
still pass inspections.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

I think the last thing I would worry about is the classification of the title when I buy a car like we have, as long as it can be registered in another state, that's what is important.

When I registered mine in CT the Motor Vehicle department took my title away. Vintage cars 25 years old do not need a title in CT go figure! I don't know what will happen if I try to sell it in another state. The only thing around here that makes a difference is if the car has ever been sold as "Junk". If so, it can almost never be re-registered.

Bill
Old 08-16-2006, 01:14 PM
79vette90
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it hard to beleive that any buyer would have an issue/concern with a antique title. Play it safe, make a copy of your current title before you turn it in. That way, you'll be able to show it to a buyer if they quesion you.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:55 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

ttt .... more opinions
Old 08-17-2006, 07:54 AM
RED BARON
Instructor

I have had antique plates on the last 3 Vettes I have owned in Virginia. If anything I would think it would inhance the value because it shows that the owner has classified it an an object of value and not just another car. Some states also limit the number of miles and conditions where the car can be driven keeping the wear and tear to a minimum. For those states where you have to surrender the title, just make sure it can go back to the original classification.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:20 AM
1Z87L8
Drifting

Originally Posted by TopGunn
I think the last thing I would worry about is the classification of the title when I buy a car like we have, as long as it can be registered in another state, that's what is important.

When I registered mine in CT the Motor Vehicle department took my title away. Vintage cars 25 years old do not need a title in CT go figure! I don't know what will happen if I try to sell it in another state. The only thing around here that makes a difference is if the car has ever been sold as "Junk". If so, it can almost never be re-registered.

Bill
i bought my car in CT last year,
trying to remember but i needed the former owners
current registration, bill of sale,signed receipt and a special form
filled out by him from CT DMV which we didnt know about.
he was able to get it off line if i remember right fill it out and mail it down to me.
all in all an extra weeks worth of hassle all because CT
doesnt want to issue title for 25 year + cars
Old 08-17-2006, 08:30 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried to get antique plates for my car and they said it had to be 99% stock? So if you have alot of modifications it will not qualify.
I don't know if it is a simple matter to just go to the liscense office and get the plate or not???
Old 08-17-2006, 08:54 AM
S489
Burning Brakes

i bought an antique tag for my 67, one time purchase $15, no restrictions (it was meant for stock cars, but if it resembled stock you were okay). later, gov figured out how much $$$ they were losing so they repealed that little act; now we have to either buy regular tag, vintage tag, or antique tag. i have the regular tag again, so i'm not sure the difference. pretty sure all have to get an annual sticker. have never had a title for 67 or 74, only b.o.s. and tag receipt. the type of tag alone would not affect the value in this area, at least not to me.

Get notified of new replies

To ? does antique TITLE affect value ?

Quick Reply: ? does antique TITLE affect value ?