C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Under Carpet insulaltion

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 10:51 AM
11Jake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under Carpet insulaltion

Need Advice:
I am replacing my carpet in my 80 vette and is like any other vette, hot as h@ll inside the cabin. I read all the treads for advice and going to put a shutoff valve on the heater hose. I also want to put the heat resistive carpet underlayment like dynamat. My question is what thickness carpet underlayment and what kind should I use that will fit under the carpet like the original jute underlayment that will still let the carpet fit properly?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:27 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search in the forum for Reflectix threads. Hundreds of us including myself have put it under the carpet with good results!

It is available at Home Depot or Lowes for 30 bux a roll and one single roll will do all of the interior on your car. /Be sure to get the aluminized tape too at 5 bux for the roll, to tape together pieces of the Reflectix and also to hold it down on the edges.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:29 AM
11Jake
Racer

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Do a search in the forum for Reflectix threads. Hundreds of us including myself have put it under the carpet with good results!

It is available at Home Depot or Lowes for 30 bux a roll and one single roll will do all of the interior on your car. /Be sure to get the aluminized tape too at 5 bux for the roll, to tape together pieces of the Reflectix and also to hold it down on the edges.

Good luck!
Is there a certain thickness I should use?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:43 AM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you completely cover the transmission tunnel/firewall areas, including under the radio and behind the gauges, etc.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:02 PM
sfallison
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 11Jake
Is there a certain thickness I should use?
It comes in one thickness. about 1/4 of an inch. I used 3M adhesive to put mine in.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by sfallison
It comes in one thickness. about 1/4 of an inch. I used 3M adhesive to put mine in.
The 3M adhesive comes in 'standard' and 'industrial strenght'. I used the cheaper 'standard' stuff and it sticks like crazy, you only have 10 seconds or so, then repositioning the pieces is impossible. I wonder how good that 'industrial' stuff is
Old 08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with above; not familiar with whatever is sold at home depot or lowes, but at the time i was last doing this, i used some stuff (like jute edit: resin-bonded silica blanket sandwiched between a mylar and foil facing) with reflective material on both sides. the advertising said approved for aircraft use. main thing is to get as much area as possible covered, and close all the holes in the firewall! i put it everywhere, from top of inside firewall to under the console and seats, making the carpet and some interior parts a little harder to fit, but it's worth it. good luck

Last edited by S489; 08-23-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

There are lots of threads on this topic, search for "reflectix." What you want is to put down a layer of sound deadener first, then a layer of Reflectix.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Two ways to do this. Buying the bulk roll is cheaper, but you spend your time cutting and fitting.

The aftermarket providers carry essentially the same stuff already cut and ready to be installed. Saves you time, but costs more.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:26 PM
purevilracing
Heel & Toe

I was thinking about trying DYNAMAT. It's a little $$$ but the rumor mill says it will keep heat out plus its real thin.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Dynamat is a sound deadener. The expensive "extreme" dynamat does have a heat-reflective foil layer on it, but using a deadicated heat shield like Reflectix will provide superior insulation.

There are other options to Dyanamat for sound deadening that are as good or better and quite a bit cheaper. Search Google for "sound deadener shootout" or showdown or something like that. It's a great rundown of the various options.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:02 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Second Skin, a great company making car audio sound deadening products is getting ready to release a brand new product.

It is a combination of felt and poly/cotton blend that is completly non flameable. You can put a propane torch to it and it will not light.

It has a foil facing on it with no adhesive. It's aimed at the Hot rod and tuner guys, light weight, and will reduce heat from the engine or the exhaust while still providing awesome sound absorbtion results.

Total thickness is 3/8"

I'm gonna old off on installing my carpet until I hear about it's release date. I will use it for sure.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
lucky76
Racer

There are a lots of replys about what to do, however don't
over do it. If it's too thick then you can't get the console
back in correctly, and the accelerator pedal won't open
the throttle all the way when pressed to the floor.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:08 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lucky76
and the accelerator pedal won't open
the throttle all the way when pressed to the floor.

If that's true then someone with too many speeding tickets would be wise to install a VERY thick sound / heat deadener.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Frank O'Hara
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I recently installed dynamat extreme - works great - much quieter and cooler. I got it on ebay for $90

here's a comparison of the various options
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/
Old 08-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Chandler
Instructor

Frank, that is an excellent web site ! very interesting, thanks for posting it. Chandler
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
TexSon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also going to paint the floorboard and firewall first with radient barrier added into the paint. I figure every little bit helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Under Carpet insulaltion

Old 08-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TexSon
I am also going to paint the floorboard and firewall first with radient barrier added into the paint. I figure every little bit helps.

What brand is this that you're using?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:46 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The Reflectix stuff at Home Depot is much cheaper, is foil backed on both sides, and is esentially heavy-duty bubble wrap (thinner, though) that won't pop and it provides an air barrier + foil heat rejection to keep interior COOLER! As an added bonus, it is also quieter. At $20 for 100 square feet (more than enough to do the whole car including the rear deck), why would anyone do the Dynamat thing? It's easy to work with and I did mine in a couple of days (including removal of interior and re-installation). Good luck....either way.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:43 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
The Reflectix stuff at Home Depot is much cheaper, is foil backed on both sides, and is esentially heavy-duty bubble wrap (thinner, though) that won't pop and it provides an air barrier + foil heat rejection to keep interior COOLER! As an added bonus, it is also quieter. At $20 for 100 square feet (more than enough to do the whole car including the rear deck), why would anyone do the Dynamat thing? It's easy to work with and I did mine in a couple of days (including removal of interior and re-installation). Good luck....either way.
AAARGH! Reflectix is a heat barrier! Dynamat (and comparable products) are primarily sound deadeners! They do different things! They work TOGETHER to improve the quality of life in the cabin!

Quick Reply: Under Carpet insulaltion