C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Cap using overflow tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul, the Lev-R-Vent (red lever) is on both the 330 (non-vented) and 331 (vented) cap. The red lever merely allows the pressure to be relieved by lifting the lever (that way you can remove the radiator cap while the engine and coolant are still hot.
Keep in mind that the 330 cap is the same as the 230 except the 330 has the Lev-R-Vent. The 230 is the true stock replacement cap but both are non-vented.

Logic (possibly my flawed logic) would tell me that if a cap was spec'd for the radiator and the original application had a tube running to the ground with no chance for coolant recovery then that same cap wouldn't operate properly to allow coolant back into the radiator with a coolant recovery bottle.

Maybe I should call Stant and see what they say. I am really confused.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67
Both have a return valve/seal to allow coolant flow back to the rad when cooling occurs and negative pressure develops.
Paul, thanks for doing my homework!! I was afraid to comment, because I am sitting here thinking logically ( ) how can coolant be sucked back into the rad? Wouldnt that allow air to be sucked back in if I wasn't using an overflow jug? However, my experience is that when I hooked up the overflow jug to my regular replacement radiator cap, it worked just fine. That is, any coolant that goes into the jug when the radiator is hot does get sucked back into the radiator when the engine cools off. I have a stant cap, but I don't know which number. I do like the cap because it doesn't have any red lettering on it. Every repro cap I ever bought, including the Delco cap from the GM dealer... has leaked! Plus they are now made in India... no offense to Indians.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:40 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

OK guys. Thanks for all the replies. I'll continue to use the 330 cap.

Last edited by BB68Vett; 09-08-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:29 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

ttt

Quick Reply: Radiator Cap using overflow tank