C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Horn...Ok to swap with security horn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Missing Horn...Ok to swap with security horn?

Team...finally realized why my anemic horn wasn't working. One of them is gone! I never realized the second note of the horn pair was missing (the one that goes near the lights, not down on the vacuum storage tank) 'til I read up on it and went to fix it. I'm guessing it had to go when the PO pulled the pop-ups and put in the light buckets.

Can I either run a line to the existing security horn, or move the security horn up front without causing a major problem? Is the security horn the right note (low?)? 1979 L82, automatic

Thanks, Steve
Old 09-11-2006, 01:56 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

that lil security horn is pretty cheesy all by itself. you can move it and it might work,. But I think its probly more trouble than its worth
Old 09-11-2006, 10:31 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct replacement horns aren't cheap, but bolt on AC Delco horns that will work, aren't that expensive. Leave the alsrm horn alone, and drop a few $ on some cheap replacements.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 71rdster
Correct replacement horns aren't cheap, but bolt on AC Delco horns that will work, aren't that expensive. Leave the alsrm horn alone, and drop a few $ on some cheap replacements.

Sounds like a plan. Best to replace as a set or is it OK just to add on the low note (ie, are they tunes as a pair)? Also, where should I mount it? I expect the original mount point is blocked by the light buckets. Is there a reason they are not right next to each other on the vacuum storage tank, some type of crazy harmonic interference?

Maybe I should just get a cool set of airhorns to mount on the H-bar for the t-tops, right next to the laser guided paintball shooter I use on ricer patrol? Then again...maybe not...

Many thanks, Steve
Old 09-12-2006, 09:31 AM
sfallison
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best bet is to go to a junk yard and pull a pair off another car (caddy's have good ones).
Old 09-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 71rdster
but if you just want a good set of loud horns pep-boys sells a pair that I installed in a 66 coupe that look like OEM and sound like them too. I think I paided under $30 for the pair
Old 09-12-2006, 11:05 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jims79
but if you just want a good set of loud horns pep-boys sells a pair that I installed in a 66 coupe that look like OEM and sound like them too. I think I paided under $30 for the pair

I got a set of the Pep-Boys Highway Blaster horns too. They are LOUD. They look stock. They sound stock too--just louder.

I even replaced the alarm horn with one and wired it to blow when the front horns blow--I wanna'em to hear me coming or going.

Last edited by PhotoVette1; 09-12-2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

thanks all! I'll check into the aftermarket stuff

Get notified of new replies

To Missing Horn...Ok to swap with security horn?

Quick Reply: Missing Horn...Ok to swap with security horn?