Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 09-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
davidm_comp
CF Senior Member

Send a message via MSN to davidm_comp
Default Use teflon tape on braided fuel lines?

Just finishing up on my fuel injection install and I was going over everything I installed and was wondering if I should use teflon tape on the AN fittings used with braided fuel lines. For the most part they are all Summit and Russell fittings, and I used Summit stainless-steel braided fuel line, -8AN feed, -6AN return.
davidm_comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
70 LS1
CF Senior Member

No. You don't use teflon tape with AN fittings. The sealing surface is the flare. Teflon tape is used on pipe threads as they are the sealing surface.

1970 convertible
Powered by LS1 and six speed
Z06 brakes
70 LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
jackson
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm_comp
Just finishing up on my fuel injection install and I was going over everything I installed and was wondering if I should use teflon tape on the AN fittings used with braided fuel lines. For the most part they are all Summit and Russell fittings, and I used Summit stainless-steel braided fuel line, -8AN feed, -6AN return.
Not at where the flare abutts ... yes where a nipple threads into another thread. For example, use teflon where a nipple threads into a pressure regulator casting ... but not at the other end of fitting where the AN flare is. Do Not attempt to use any type sealer between flares ... if flare(s) leaks it's either installed/tightened wrong or flare(s) damaged.
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
David Ey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thats is correct. Use the tape only on the pipe threaded end of the fitting, not the flared end. Don't let any of the tape get near the inside end so it won't be able to get inside of the hose.
David Ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
gyopp
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

good rule of thumb is always leave one thread showing. Teflon tape has stopped up more stuff than you can count.
gyopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
Highhat
CF Senior Member

I use a little of the the teflon paste instead of the tape, as the tape h could break loose in to the carb of it was put passed the flare.
Highhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
MotorHead
CF Senior Member

Location: Never argue with Morons. If you do, you'll lower yourself to their standards, and they'll win, based on experience !!!

Get the yellow teflon tape for gas, the white just disintegrates
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Use teflon tape on braided fuel lines?

Tags
6an, 8an, braid, braided, carb, chevy, connections, fittings, fuel, line, lines, needed, stainless, tape, teflon