C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Door Panel Install Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
Augie 79
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default New Door Panel Install Question.

I'm installing new door panels on a '79 coupe. I fit checked them last night and they line up great. Tonight I'll make the holes for the power locks, door latch, mirror adjust and the attach screws. The arm rest hole came pre-punched. My question is this; The old panels were attached with 3 screws, 2 on the bottom (fore and aft) and 1 on the top aft. These new panels fit so nice (thanks Al Knock) I was thinking I could do away with the top aft screw. Has anybody else done this? The channel that fits over the top of the door seems like it would keep the panel in place along with all the above hardware. Thanks for any comments.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:54 AM
TPL79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you purchase the new panels as part of an interior package deal from AK? I noticed you posted some info about the seats in an earlier thread.

I'm planning on doing my interior and was interested in your feedback, cost, etc...

(Sorry to stray away from your orig thread )
Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 PM
thrilher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a '79 and i recently replaced door panels. i don't particularly like the position of the top screw but it pulled everything nice and flush.If you are gonna try and leave them off be sure to apply downward pressure on the panel as you punch your holes for your arm rest.Also my lower screw on the end of the door by the striker pulled it flush, otherwise i would have had a gap about 3/4 inch on one door.Install them then see if you need them i guess.I personally took a sheet of fiberglas and lined the inside of my door panels as a moisture barrier although my new panels seemed made of a water resistant kind of material. It turned out great. The fiberglas didn't affect my fit i don't believe. I am guessing you will probably end up using the 3 screws according to my experience with it
Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Augie 79
Racer

Thanks for the comments guys.
TPL79: I sent emails to several vendors with a list of the parts I wanted for my interior and asked what my cost would be. Everybody responded. I had planned on buying everything and then having a shop install it. But I decided if I installed it myself I could used the money I saved and buy leather seats from Al Knock. He seems to enjoy the best reputation for fit. Also I needed repairs/paint to the fiberglass seat buckets. I just feel better doing it myself. I found a wore that was chaffed through under a trim panel also. So I can take my time and make these little fixes as I go along. A shop could have had it done in a couple days but I'd still have cracks in my seat buckets. So far I'm happy with everything but the carpet I got from AK. And AK told me to send it back for a refund. The seats are beautiful and waiting to be bolted in. The only thing I'm afraid is I won't fit into the car anymore. I'm 6'4" and with the new foam I've lost what little head room I had. Worst case I may have to remove the seat foam and have a upholstery shop take the seat cover off and shave the foam down and then reattach the seat cover. I'm trying not to think about it too much till I get done with everything.
Thrilher: These door panels fit so good is the only reason I'm thinking of leaving that top screw out. I've looked for pictures of this area and you don't see many. But the AK door panels fit so good I think I'll be able to leave that top screw out.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:02 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the AK door panels fit so good I think I'll be able to leave that top screw out.
remember it's your car; if it fits that good and looks better to you, then leave it out. if you decide to sell and new owner wants it, put it in.

great testimony for AK, wish i had known before buying my interior. i added them (screws) to mine without a lot of thought, i guess just wanted it to look like i hadn't forgot it . . . will try to add photo

Last edited by S489; 10-03-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Augie 79
Racer

S489, on my 1979 the top aft attach screw is located a little different than '74. On the '79 it's actually on top pointing down, very near the weatherstrip on the top of the door. It almost looks like it shouldn't be there. I thought maybe somebody had installed this screw on mine to fix a fit problem. But I checked some pictures on the net and I see it on other cars. Very nice interior you have there by the way.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:13 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Augie 79
S489, on my 1979 the top aft attach screw is located a little different than '74. On the '79 it's actually on top pointing down, very near the weatherstrip on the top of the door. It almost looks like it shouldn't be there. I thought maybe somebody had installed this screw on mine to fix a fit problem. But I checked some pictures on the net and I see it on other cars. Very nice interior you have there by the way.

I believe your door panel is like my 81, that screw should have a stainless steel dress ring - all the door panel screws should have them - including the one in the carpet near the front of the door ( not the arm rest ones of course). I don't know but I kinda like the looks with the screw in place, but like others have said it's your car -

Get notified of new replies

To New Door Panel Install Question.

Quick Reply: New Door Panel Install Question.