C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance on intake manifold / carb / air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Bnine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some guidance on intake manifold / carb / air cleaner

I just ordered a crate motor from GM, the 350 SBC HO 330 Hp motor with vortec heads they sell. I need to know what intake manifold / carb / air cleaner combination i need, specifically considering hood clearance. one good thin i have going for me is that I have an LT1 hood, which i think gives me some more hood clearance.

I was considering the edelbrock performer 2116 intake manifold, but dont know if i am going to run into hood clearance problems. if thisone will do, what carb / air cleaner do you guys suggest?
Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnine
I just ordered a crate motor from GM, the 350 SBC HO 330 Hp motor with vortec heads they sell. I need to know what intake manifold / carb / air cleaner combination i need, specifically considering hood clearance. one good thin i have going for me is that I have an LT1 hood, which i think gives me some more hood clearance.

I was considering the edelbrock performer 2116 intake manifold, but dont know if i am going to run into hood clearance problems. if thisone will do, what carb / air cleaner do you guys suggest?

An easy option, is to call Edelbroch. They will help you find a manifold best suited for your needs, and they will be able to tell you if it will fit under that hood. Then, using the part number they gave you...you can maybe find the manifold cheaper like on Ebay.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

New Weiand 8121 Action+. http://www.holley.com/HolleyNews/article.asp?ID=55
600. Summit should have a 1 1/2" drop base no name air cleaner that might help.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-19-2006, 09:05 AM
silver74vette
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I had some trouble finding an air cleaner that would fit, I ended up with Summit's billet oval which is only three inches above the carb flange.
Good luck on the project, I would reccommend a 600 Holley with vacuum secondaries, I have a 600 Edelbrock, it is OK but the Holley makes more power (swapped with a friend, but he wanted his back).

Post some pics when you get it in.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

A stock LT-1 intake from bottom of manifold to front of carb base is 4"1/4" and 5" at the rear of carb base.

RPM Airgap is 4.20" at front and 5.25" at the rear.

I measured the clearance on a stock unmolested 72 LT-1 from the top of the stock aircleaner to the hood with clay. It was 1/2" clearance.

So with the RPM Airgap presumably there would be a 1/4" clearance. However, I think each car might be a little different depending on how many shims were put between the body and the frame and possibly other minor differences. I'm going with the RPM Airgap on my daughter's 72 LT-1, but we won't be dropping the body back on until spring.
Ol Blue

Get notified of new replies

To Need some guidance on intake manifold / carb / air cleaner

Quick Reply: Need some guidance on intake manifold / carb / air cleaner