C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sway bar, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:16 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Harrison
If you were to drive your car in a constant circle, slowly increasing the speed, (Skid Pad) and the rear starts to slide out that is oversteer or the car is loose. If the front slides 1st then that is understeer or tight. A balanced car will have both ends slide at the same time. I drive best if my car has a very slight amount of understeer, then use the throttle to power oversteer the car. Some drivers like a car set up on the loose side, I find this works well with a C-5 Z06 but a C-3 due to poor rear design is becomes unpredictable and very unforgiving.
Jim about said it....I have gotten lucky and slid this '72 vert here twice around and through intersections where crap happened, and I didn't think it should have....I suspect the rear is not what we hope...at best...I swear a solid axel is better.....but of course there is no direct A-B comparo possible....

I am wondering about this stockish 9/16 rear bar I just installed in the rear.....I haven't done the front upgrade yet....to about an inch, instead of that thin thing on there now...
Old 11-23-2006, 03:27 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will second the statement that C3's are unforgiving when they oversteer ... but crossed up and boiling the tires is sooo much fun!

Jim Harrison runs a C3 in the local autocross events. Having witnessed his powers at pushing a C3 rapidly through an autocross course I'm willing to pay close attention to any advice he is giving on handling.
Old 11-23-2006, 03:30 PM
mr303
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with most of these posts, with a stiff rear end (big bar) you will go from 'good fun' to a 'spinning top' in a split second, these cars swap ends very quickly and too bigger rear bar will make this even worse.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Harrison
If you were to drive your car in a constant circle, slowly increasing the speed, (Skid Pad) and the rear starts to slide out that is oversteer or the car is loose. If the front slides 1st then that is understeer or tight. A balanced car will have both ends slide at the same time. I drive best if my car has a very slight amount of understeer, then use the throttle to power oversteer the car. Some drivers like a car set up on the loose side, I find this works well with a C-5 Z06 but a C-3 due to poor rear design is becomes unpredictable and very unforgiving.
As a WSCC class champion in BOTH a 2002 Z06 (girl's car) and a 1972 LT-1 Vette, I beg to differ! Yes a C3 is more dificult to drive but, NOT! unpredictable and very unforgiving. The C3 Vette will always be more of a challenge to drive than a later generation but, they can be made to handle well and give good feedback. I wasn't able to race m C3 this year but, a local C3 driver did a good job with his 72 L-48 roadster in "teaching" many C4-5 drivers the fast way around the WSCC autocross courses. The current C3 class champion does have a RSB on his Vette but, I don't run one on my LT-1 very often.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:27 PM
copter
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know all about under and oversteer,but what happens if you take off the front bar.Also whats is the benifit of a frontsteer or rearsteer car.Good thread
Old 11-23-2006, 05:35 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

Front and rear bars are a good thing,all your newer cars run them,
performance cars.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:37 PM
copter
Drifting

Heck they've been using front and rear bars since almost forever
Old 11-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
I was at VB this winter and asked about this same problem since I went to 18 inch and wide rubber. The yset me up with a 420# rear spring and no rear bar. They told me this should work just as well as the 330# with a rear bar. It seems to be just as stable. No track time with it but on some aggresive driving it seems as good as before.
I've been running a 420# spring for several years. I like the ride, but the rear roll stiffness was too much when combined with the stock rear bar (I was also running a 1 1/8 inch front bar and 550# springs). Removing the rear bar softened it up enough that the car is very predictable (as far as C3s go). I've run hundreds of track miles with no scary incidents with this combo.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:12 AM
72 LT1
Racer

I dont/havn't raced my car on road course or auto x (although I would like to try auto x ) The car is just a street car, that seemed to have WAY to much body roll going into corners. I stated my intentions to VB&P tech ( NOT sales clerk) at least THREE times and questioned use of such large sway bars w/ much heavier than stock spring rate. He assured me this package was MATCHED/BALANCED for street use. I like there products and trusted the tech, after all they must sell hundreds if not thousands of these different kits. Was I told wrong?? I havn't got car back together yet, and wont be able to tell how it handles untill spring time.(No pun intended) Surely, someone else on this forum runs a small block coupe w/ a similiar set up.

Last edited by 72 LT1; 11-24-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:42 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

My '68 drag car was originaly a big block car and came with the rear sway bar. I removed it a while ago.. If anybody wants it, it can be picked up at my house for free....
Old 11-24-2006, 05:38 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

I changed my spring to a 315 pound composit for a better ride and found it leaned too much in turns. I had a sway bar sitting around and with it, the lean is much less but still rides nice. A pushed it to see if any strange handling showed up and it seems ok. On the down side, the rear will squat under hard acceleration and its harder to brake the tires loose. I did have some fun with a ricer that followed me up a long hiway ramp. I just kept building speed on the turn untill he lost it and almost hit the guard rail.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:59 PM
72 LT1
Racer

W1ctc.......HA!HA! I love a story with a happy ending!
Old 11-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Restorod '79
Pro

69427- Good to hear-- I have the same set-up. I have very few track miles- maybe 60- and a few skid-pad runs- all have been good!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:26 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
NO its not worth it.

at least that's my initial opinion. like others have said, it's a tuning thing. i bought one years ago for my '81 when i autocrossed alot. i found that it made the rear very tail happy, so i just disconnected it. especially if you upgrade to a lower profile tire with less sidewall flex. because of the inherent design shortcomings of the c3 chassis, i'd suggest you get the front as tight as you can live with (depending on your style) and leave the rear until your happy with the front. once you get the front sorted out, then move to the rear. the car carries so little dynamic "weight" in the rear, that a driver would be better with soft rear for comfort and tight front for handling.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:19 AM
72 LT1
Racer

Clutchdust....I've got 550lbs coils w/ 1 1/8 bar in front, 330lb glass spring in back w 3/4 bar. What do you recomend for rear bar??
Old 11-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Thinpockets
Racer

Great thread and for me, well timed. My 72 SB coupe has some noticeable over-steer when taking a corner too fast. I've been contemplating removing the rear bar but have concerns about having a 1-1/8" front bar. Too big with no rear bar? Removing the rear seems like the thing to do for a street and freeway only driver. Don't want to be weaving in and out of traffic on the freeway and have the rear trying to take the lead.
I'm also going to replace the KYB rear shocks with something stiffer - it rides great except the rear seems to bob up and down compared to the front. VB&P mono on both ends.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:31 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

72 LT1, i don't know. what do you not like about the way your car handles? from what you described, and from my personal experience, i expect your car oversteers a bit. as such, and this is just a guess, your rear bar may be a tad too large.
see, the problem this thread doesn't address but has been brought up time and time again on this forum, is the spagetti-like stiffness of the c3 frame. in your instance, you use the frame as a spring. unlike in later model cars with much stiffer frames, our cars transmit so much dynamic force through the frame, we compensate by adding stiffer springs, swaybars and shocks.
i can tell you, literally, from personal experience that despite what i've done to try to tune the suspension on my '81, the handling still falls short of the c5. on top of that, the compromise in driver comfort hardly makes it worth it.
if you really want to drive these cars fast, you have to figure out a way to stiffen the frame.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear sway bar, worth it?

Old 11-26-2006, 11:37 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
My '68 drag car was originaly a big block car and came with the rear sway bar. I removed it a while ago.. If anybody wants it, it can be picked up at my house for free....
e-mail sent.....
.....redvetracr
Old 11-27-2006, 11:27 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
If you upgrade to a rear bar, you should also up the front bar size. My preferences are 1-1/8 inch front, 5/8 inch for the rear.
Ditto Big G.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:44 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette

On the highway in an emergency situation the car is going to swap ends when you swerve to avoid an object. No doubt about it. Leading to a crash. There is a reason the factory builds understeer into almost all passenger vehicles. It's much much safer.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar, worth it?