C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Cobaltblue 72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Line

I am installing an in-line fuel shutt off valve and i was concerned about using TEFLON tape to seal the threads between the brass fittings. Any reaction between Teflon and fuel? If so, any other alternatives?
Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 09:29 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobaltblue 72
I am installing an in-line fuel shutt off valve and i was concerned about using TEFLON tape to seal the threads between the brass fittings. Any reaction between Teflon and fuel? If so, any other alternatives?
Thanks

You're right about not using Teflon tape. It's a bad idea. BUT, there is a product, found at local places like Autozone and Oreilly, that's a Teflon paste. Comes in a tube. make sure you read the directions...but I'm pretty sure you can use it on fuel systems.
Old 11-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Whats wrong with teflon tape? Works great with pipe fitting sizes. Not necessary with flared fittings.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:20 PM
greyghost79
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used teflon tape on threads of fuel pipe (fuel pump to carb) where it connects to fuel pump. no problems so far.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:36 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Whats wrong with teflon tape? Works great with pipe fitting sizes. Not necessary with flared fittings.

If you get too much on, or a little bit of it slips into the fuel system it does a really good job of turning into a goop and clogging fuel filters.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:09 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobaltblue 72
Thanks
Teflon is impervious to fuel. Many of the fuel lines are made with teflon linings.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Durango, that happens when the tape in incorrectly put on more than anything else. It is supposed to be wrapped on from the nut end to the nipple end, against the threads and not allowed to extend past the end threads. Tape is very good stuff and impervious to fuel, oil, Hydraulic juice, brake juice and just about anything else.
All ya got to do it put it on right. When I was working on my uncles airplanes it was used everywhere and they even had a test ya had to pass for useing it.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Durango, that happens when the tape in incorrectly put on more than anything else. It is supposed to be wrapped on from the nut end to the nipple end, against the threads and not allowed to extend past the end threads. Tape is very good stuff and impervious to fuel, oil, Hydraulic juice, brake juice and just about anything else.
All ya got to do it put it on right. When I was working on my uncles airplanes it was used everywhere and they even had a test ya had to pass for useing it.

That's probably true. I just know that I have changed a lot of fuel filters clogged with Teflon tape.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Carl914
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had no problems with the tape, but I did make sure none of it hangs past the threads.

www.mycarframes.com
Old 11-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Save the wave !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Line

Quick Reply: Fuel Line