C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Replace Ignition Lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 12:47 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Default How to Replace Ignition Lock

Can anyone tell me how to replace the ignition lock in my '72?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Fstdraw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it and it's not to hard. You'll need to pull the steering wheel and some of the column guts. A thin bladed screw driver is needed to push a release tab inside the column and the whole unit comes out of the column, as a key would. This is an over simplification of the process, but it's the way I did it on my '69. I would think your '72 is the same. If I'm wrong, someone will let you know. Check any good manual, should give better directions. I would say if you've never torn into the column before, give yourself at least 2 or 3 hours.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Fstdraw
I've done it and it's not to hard. You'll need to pull the steering wheel and some of the column guts. A thin bladed screw driver is needed to push a release tab inside the column and the whole unit comes out of the column, as a key would. This is an over simplification of the process, but it's the way I did it on my '69. I would think your '72 is the same. If I'm wrong, someone will let you know. Check any good manual, should give better directions. I would say if you've never torn into the column before, give yourself at least 2 or 3 hours.

Thats exactly how it is done.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Here's a picture of the slot referred to by others (it's just above the pin with the tape on it). You may not need to strip the column to this stage to get at the slot. Turn the key until you can see the tab in the slot then push down on it with a small screw driver and the lock will pull out. Also, here's a link to Jim Shea's step-by-step on lock removal.
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...&R1-05JA06.doc

Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

You didn't mention if you had a standard (non-adjustable) steering column or a tilt & telescoping column. The link sited above takes you to the standard column disassembly and repair paper.

The ignition lock cylinders are the same. However, the disassembly of the upper end of the T&T steering column is a bit different from the standard column. Here is the link to the T&T column just in case that is the column that you have.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...&R1-30MY06.doc

BTW, there are a couple of other papers posted at the www.corvettefaq.com websight that might be of help. Once at the sight click on Jim Shea's Steering Papers
Then click on Corvette Steering Papers
Scroll down to either the Std Strg Column or to the Tilt & Telescoping Column sections.
There will be a download labeled Disassembly & Repair Pics#1 that also will help explain the disassembly procedure. There will also be another paper on the Steering Wheel and Horn Parts for your particular steering system.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Thanks everyone. I have the standard column and this is just what I need.

I love this forum!
Old 11-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

One word of caution. The above picture is very sharp and clear. However, it is backward! In other words you are looking at a mirror image of the lock cylinder housing.

Anyway, the slot that you want to use to unlatch the lock cylinder is the long narrow one closest to the tapped boss. It is NOT the slot next to it that is closest to the pin with the blue stuff wrapped around it.

Jim
Old 11-26-2006, 11:38 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Understood.

Thanks Jim.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
One word of caution. The above picture is very sharp and clear. However, it is backward! In other words you are looking at a mirror image of the lock cylinder housing.

Jim
Jim,
just so I understand it, is this the BOTTOM side of the housing (looking up) as opposed to the TOP side that you would see when you removed the steering wheel etc.? I took this picture a couple years ago and don't recall.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 08:55 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Wel, I was able to get it done thanks to the directions provided in Jim's papers.

Unfortunatley I had to disassemble the steering wheel several times because the key warning buzzer kept sounding even without the key in the ignition. It finally stopped and I was able to put it all back together.

Took quite a bit of jiggling to get the lock to come out of the hole but once it did it slipped right out.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

cc
Old 11-26-2006, 11:01 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Since you brought it up, my key won't go into the lock postion anyone have some tips?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:35 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Duke94, the picture was taken from the steering wheel side of the lock housing. However, it is a mirror image. Looking into the housing you can see the boss for the lock cylinder is on the left side.

Croaker, if you have a 1969 through 1976 column, you will need to make sure that the lower lever (out under the hood, down under the brake booster) is in the full UP position. There should be a cable coming from the transmission attached to it.

Here is a link to more than you ever wanted to know about the GM steering column/transmission shift interlock system.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...tems27JL04.doc

Jim
Old 11-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by croaker
Since you brought it up, my key won't go into the lock postion anyone have some tips?
If you have a 77-82, you have to push down on the little lever behind the key.

Fill out your profile!
Old 11-27-2006, 09:22 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Thanks! it's a 75
Old 01-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Danishbanker
Advanced

I am trying to remove the ignition switch from my 68 dash, but I can´t get the trick with the paperclip in the little hole to work ¤#"(&%¤#("!%#

Any guidlines??

/Claus
Old 01-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Danishbanker
I am trying to remove the ignition switch from my 68 dash, but I can´t get the trick with the paperclip in the little hole to work ¤#"(&%¤#("!%#

Any guidlines??

/Claus
With the key in the ignition, push and hold the pin down with the paper clip then rotate the switch counter clockwise (as memory serves me) and it should come right out.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Danishbanker
Advanced

Thanks Duke94, but I seem to have a little "problem" with the front ring. I can unscrew it, but not all the way of - is that okey or should it come off ??

Get notified of new replies

To How to Replace Ignition Lock

Old 01-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Thanks Duke94, but I seem to have a little "problem" with the front ring. I can unscrew it, but not all the way of - is that okey or should it come off ??
Well, I worked my way through collage as a locksmith, but that was 35 years ago so my memory is more than a little foggy. So I looked through my vast reference library and found this. It appears that 68' is different that all prior years and all after when it comes to removing the lock. This should get you there.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Danishbanker
Advanced

Yep - it is #5 I cant get to work :-(

I know I should know this, but what possition is Acc??

Thanks / Claus

Last edited by Danishbanker; 01-28-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Yep - it is #5 I cant get to work :-(

I know I should know this, but what possition is Acc??

Thanks / Claus
ACC is rotated counter clockwise as far as it will go after inserting the key.

Quick Reply: How to Replace Ignition Lock