C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Lights will not go off

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 03:33 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Interior Lights will not go off

Hello Guys,

As the title reads, I have a problem in that my interior lights will not go out unless I pull the fuse. As of a few weeks ago my lights and timer worked fine. I have held in both door jamb switches with my hand to see if one of them was not engaging but no cigar. I alos pulled them out to take a look at them.
I have recently re-soldered the one of the wires to the dome light because it had broken off and I have just replaced the headlight switch ( no vacuum getting to the headlights). As of now, the headlight switch is not plugged in at all and the interior lights still stay on. I was wondering if the headlight switch has any effect on the interior lights? When I had the H/L switch hooked up, I rotated the **** to make sure that it was not left in the "On" position for the interior lights.
Any other suggestions?
thanks Rob

Last edited by 79vetter; 11-29-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the 'interior lights stay on' failure recently - mine was due to an old/corroded connector on the passenger door switch that finally worked loose.

If you've recently replaced the headlight switch I would suggest to start there.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:14 PM
texbeasr3
Instructor

Check the wires going to the door switch.
The wire insulation will get torn where is passes thru the hole.
This will create a short to ground, making your dome light stay on.
I had this issues, and fixed it by splicing in new wires, to the switch.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Vette-4-Life
Instructor

I just had this happen to my 80 last week. I did some trouble shooting and found it to be the delay timer located behind the glovebox. To test i removed the timer box and shorted the 2 white wires together found on the connector of your wiring harness. This should now allow the lights to go off (with doors closed) if the timer is your problem. Ecklers wants around $80, i am going to a local electronics depot and will buy the discreet parts.

Last edited by Vette-4-Life; 11-29-2006 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:40 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Recheck the repair at the dome light-if the white wire grounds that will turn the lights on.
Also unhook the delay timer behind the glovebox if that shuts them off then its the timer or the door switches-now jumper the 2 white wires in the 5 wire connector for the timer-this will eliminate the delay from the system-if the lights work with the doors it was the timer.If it was the timer and you want to replace it you can use the less expensive #10098435 If its not the timer let me know and we will work on isolating that problem.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Problem solved... When I unscrewed the dome light and brought it on down, the lights went off. I recently re-connected one of the wires that had broken off . I think that the screws holding in the dome light may have been affecting this. I put them back in and now everything including the timer delay works just fine.
Thanks Roger and others...
Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 AM
tommyleea
Racer

Is the timer held in a bracket under dash behind glove box? Looks like a flasher?
Old 11-30-2006, 08:23 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Yes, mine is an orange + rectangular ..
Old 11-30-2006, 02:24 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyleea
Is the timer held in a bracket under dash behind glove box? Looks like a flasher?
If your talking under the dash and "under" the glove box-that is your turn signal flasher.The timer is like 79vetter said orange but you almost have to take the glove box out to get to it.Its sorta taped into the wiring behind and beside the glovebox.(to the right of box)

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Lights will not go off

Quick Reply: Interior Lights will not go off