C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In line fuel pumps for TPI.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 12:22 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default In line fuel pumps for TPI.

I am gathering all the parts needed for installing the TPI in the Vette after the new year, and I'm going to use an inline fuel pump. The problem I'm having is I'm not sure which fuel pump to use. Napa offers a nice in-line fuel pump kit #(P5000) that meets the PSI, and GPH requirements for the TPI.
http://www.napaonline.com//MasterPag...c+In-Line+Type)

I have read posts that you can use the in-line pump from a '88 Ford E series van, but the vans use a low pressure lift pump in the tank to supply the in-line pump (I think because ford van fuel tanks are mounted lower than the in-line pump). The NAPA pump is self priming (according to the info in the NFP catalog).
They are both priced within $10 of each other.
What do you all suggest?
Do you think I will need a lift pump if I use the Ford in line pump?

Opinions, Coments, Suggestions Please.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the one I bought. This is what I'm using on my LT1 injection project, so I know it would work for you too. It's one of the better brands too. I wouldn't really trust a chain brand for fuel delivery, and most people double up on good brands like Holley.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...2460715&rd=1,1
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used an 88 Ford truck external pump in 2 TPI swaps with good results. No kicker pump, I let the in tank screen be the filter for it. Both of these things are against the instructions in the box, but it works fine for me. I bought mine at CarQuest and they are AirTech brand built in Texas. Used the stock return line, no problems with that either.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
JustForFun
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markdtn
I have used an 88 Ford truck external pump in 2 TPI swaps with good results. No kicker pump, I let the in tank screen be the filter for it. Both of these things are against the instructions in the box, but it works fine for me. I bought mine at CarQuest and they are AirTech brand built in Texas. Used the stock return line, no problems with that either.
I did eventually install a inline fuel filter from a 85/86 vette
Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by markdtn

If you don't mind me asking...how much was it?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:00 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Here's the one I bought. This is what I'm using on my LT1 injection project, so I know it would work for you too. It's one of the better brands too. I wouldn't really trust a chain brand for fuel delivery, and most people double up on good brands like Holley.

Thanks Durango!! They are even cheaper than NAPA, and meet the same specs. The only problem is if I have a pump failure how will I warranty it. If I get a pump from a chain store I can usually get a warranty replacement the same day.

This is what the forum is about. A great place to share info.
Durango, What filter are you going to use?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DR.Jay
Thanks Durango!! They are even cheaper than NAPA, and meet the same specs. The only problem is if I have a pump failure how will I warranty it. If I get a pump from a chain store I can usually get a warranty replacement the same day.

This is what the forum is about. A great place to share info.
Durango, What filter are you going to use?

I'm gonna get an inline style, like a Holley red or blue. I want one I can mount up at the front by the intake for easy changing. I haven't got any part numbers yet...I was just gonna skim the Summit and Jegs pages.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

The ford inline pump is about $100 at Oreilly's here. They are also selling Airtech brand pumps.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

The ford inline pump is about $100 at Oreilly's here. They are also selling Airtech brand pumps.

That's actually a good price. How much does it move and at what pressure?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:18 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Here's the inline filter I was thinking of. Not too expensive, and it'll do a fine job.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Gerotor pumps, almost all of the fuel injection pumps, provide a smooth, non pulsating delivery. They are much better at pushing than pulling which is one of the reasons GM mounted them in the tank. A piston pump is very good at pulling, which is the reason Ford uses a "pre-pump". I've mounted a pre-filter, a piston type pump, an external in-line FI gerotor pump and one of the stainless paper element filters in line. I mounted them all on a piece of 3/8 inch polyethelene and mounted that on insulators in the center of the spare tire carrier. You get no noise (always a problem with external pumps), its well protected and the whole assemble is lower than the gas tank.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:50 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

The spec for the ford in-line pump is 44psi @ 33gph. That is off the NAPA site.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

The spec for the ford in-line pump is 44psi @ 33gph. That is off the NAPA site.
That's enough for TBi, TPI, and LT1...isn't it? I thought 40 was the minimum you wanted.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

If you're worried about the pump failing, you might as well get a mechanical piston pump. You can't really kill one of those. However, they're kinda pricey.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kalway
If you're worried about the pump failing, you might as well get a mechanical piston pump. You can't really kill one of those. However, they're kinda pricey.

Hmm...no fuel pump lobe on the cam...= problem with mechanical pumps.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was reading recently that there are Chinese knock-offs of Walbro pumps that even copy the name stenciled on the pump body. Make sure you know who you are buying from so you don't get stuck. A very low price is probably a giveaway.

Rick B.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
I was reading recently that there are Chinese knock-offs of Walbro pumps that even copy the name stenciled on the pump body. Make sure you know who you are buying from so you don't get stuck. A very low price is probably a giveaway.

Rick B.

It may be, but it wasn't as cheap as I would think a knockoff would be. Besides...if it fails me I'll get a store bought unit like mentioned above.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:57 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't mind me asking...how much was it?
Last one was $117 plus tax. I should clarify my Filter: I am not running a pre-pump filter that the instructions say must be there. I am running a stock C4 TPI filter between the pump and the fuel rail.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I probably won't use a filter other than the tank's sock, and was just gonna install a line filter up at the front where I have easy access.

How many amps will the average 50# pump draw? I was going to use a 30 amp relay fed by 16 gauge wire. Does that sound okay? I would think so, but I have never used a high pressure pump like these before.

Get notified of new replies

To In line fuel pumps for TPI.

Quick Reply: In line fuel pumps for TPI.