C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini starter wiring

Old 12-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Tankers
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini starter wiring

Does anyone have a picture of how they hooked up the mini starter. There was no engine in the car when I got it and want to make sure I hook this up right. Thanks
Old 12-25-2006, 09:11 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Tough to photograph as it's in the car....

what sort of problems you have???

what year shark??

you running an HEI?? or points??
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Tankers
Racer

72 with MSD, I am sure the positive cable from battery hooks up to the post closest in the picture, there is a smaller post right under that one and a wire end connected to another post on the top of the solenoid under the blue cap, what connects to these posistions.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:34 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is on my 68, hope it helps.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:36 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tankers, That is a damn clean motor!
Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 PM
Tankers
Racer

Thanks, it gives me a starting point.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:40 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

That cable off to the right of that pix looks for all the world to be positioned as the engine to frame ground under that mount/frame horn....

the stud toward bottom would be your battery cable AND a 3/8 diameter loop going to your wiring harness positive....you need a ohm meter to the alternator output stud to determine it.....it is NOT BLACK, it maybe red/brown stained something due to age....

the BLACE 3/8 loop is a ground wire for the a/cblower and WSW motor....it goes to the engine under a bellhousing....or as I rewired MY car....on the intake manifold....so as to avoid confusion....

the old cloth covered wire, is a points wire, and is rather thin....maybe yellowish......when ign is ON but engine still, that wire will have 12 volts on it....but at no other time....

the starter wire is/used to be typically purple....as I recall...anyway, it's only active when key is pushed to start car....that wire goes to the only small stud on the starter solenoid.....

BTW, your mini starter and mine are totally differant in appearance...MY starter solenoid appears similar to the old stock thing....yours has studs on the sides.....interesting, but no comment other than that.....

UH, pay attention to the other fellow's pix there, i'ts like mine....and yes....PINK wire to the solenoid....sorry.....

Last edited by mrvette; 12-25-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Tankers
Racer

Originally Posted by DZRick
Tankers, That is a damn clean motor!
See 72 frame off progress thread. Motor has only been dynoed, not driven yet, but thanks for the compliment
Old 12-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Tankers
Racer

Originally Posted by mrvette
That cable off to the right of that pix looks for all the world to be positioned as the engine to frame ground under that mount/frame horn....

the stud toward bottom would be your battery cable AND a 3/8 diameter loop going to your wiring harness positive....you need a ohm meter to the alternator output stud to determine it.....it is NOT BLACK, it maybe red/brown stained something due to age....

the BLACE 3/8 loop is a ground wire for the a/cblower and WSW motor....it goes to the engine under a bellhousing....or as I rewired MY car....on the intake manifold....so as to avoid confusion....

the old cloth covered wire, is a points wire, and is rather thin....maybe yellowish......when ign is ON but engine still, that wire will have 12 volts on it....but at no other time....

the starter wire is/used to be typically purple....as I recall...anyway, it's only active when key is pushed to start car....that wire goes to the only small stud on the starter solenoid.....

BTW, your mini starter and mine are totally differant in appearance...MY starter solenoid appears similar to the old stock thing....yours has studs on the sides.....interesting, but no comment other than that.....
Thanks, very good info, does it matter that I removed the points wire to the starter since I went electronic distributor.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:55 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tankers
Thanks, very good info, does it matter that I removed the points wire to the starter since I went electronic distributor.
NO, it went when I put in DPFI TPI some 12 years ago....

ancient history, what it did was provide 12 volts to the old breaker points coil....for cold starts and hot spark...tough on points for running though....considered a 'work around'.....

Get notified of new replies

To Mini starter wiring

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mini starter wiring