C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timken Bearings and Polish Sausage

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 AM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Timken Bearings and Polish Sausage

I just finished changing out the inner and outer bearings and grease seals on my front wheels. The Timken bearings (Set 3 and Set 5) are now made in Poland. It was printed on the box and etched on the bearings. The grease seals were made in Taiwan and on the bag they came in it states "Timken Service Parts are carefully chosen from select manufacturers". WTF? Now, I won't say that a company in Poland (or Taiwan) can't make as good a product as a product manufactured in the USA, but you know, personally I kind of doubt it. I still have a lot more faith in the American worker. Gee, did Timken go all the way to Poland and ship those bearings all the way to the USA because they were the best product made? Gosh, I kind of doubt that too. I think it probably has more to do with a cheap price and their stockholders dividends and CEO's bonuses. I guess if there were a Timken company rep on this forum I'd hear how it was now a "world market" and how great strides have been made in metallurgy, and how Poland was on the cutting edge of industrial technology, blah, blah blah. And that's what it would be; blah, blah, blah as far as I'm concerned. When I asked for Timken at the parts store today I thought I was getting a quality American made product. I didn't ask the price, I asked for the "brand" - my mistake for "assuming". I didn't look at the boxes till I was ready to install them and got a little suprise. Sorry for the rant.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:17 AM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

but does't it make you feel good knowing that your'e helping to feed a family in Poland?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:02 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by stock76
I just finished changing out the inner and outer bearings and grease seals on my front wheels. The Timken bearings (Set 3 and Set 5) are now made in Poland. It was printed on the box and etched on the bearings. The grease seals were made in Taiwan and on the bag they came in it states "Timken Service Parts are carefully chosen from select manufacturers". WTF? Now, I won't say that a company in Poland (or Taiwan) can't make as good a product as a product manufactured in the USA, but you know, personally I kind of doubt it. I still have a lot more faith in the American worker. Gee, did Timken go all the way to Poland and ship those bearings all the way to the USA because they were the best product made? Gosh, I kind of doubt that too. I think it probably has more to do with a cheap price and their stockholders dividends and CEO's bonuses. I guess if there were a Timken company rep on this forum I'd hear how it was now a "world market" and how great strides have been made in metallurgy, and how Poland was on the cutting edge of industrial technology, blah, blah blah. And that's what it would be; blah, blah, blah as far as I'm concerned. When I asked for Timken at the parts store today I thought I was getting a quality American made product. I didn't ask the price, I asked for the "brand" - my mistake for "assuming". I didn't look at the boxes till I was ready to install them and got a little suprise. Sorry for the rant.
I don't work for Timken (a NYSE listed company) but I can tell you that they are known for the quality of their products and are the largest manufacturer of tapered bearings in the world. As you know, practically all U.S. companies today have products made in other parts of the world and that is because it can be done cheaper. Probably, if they were to produce the bearings in this country they could no longer be able to compete and we all know what happens after that. I think you've got a quality product that will give you years of service. I work p/t for Advance Auto Parts and we sell cheap bearings for half the price of a Timken.
As a side note and what's amazing to me, though, is that's what a lot of folks want, the cheaper stuff, but the Vette guys always want quality.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:14 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Here is what I know about it. I was looking for bearings for my rear Differential. Wanted the Made in USA full roller bearings for my rear differential instead of the caged bearing. Torrington is the manufacturer. Ordered from their plant direct. They were Made in USA and found out they are a subsidary of Timken now. Might check with Torrington as they are the manufacturers.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Here's the question that need answering: Just because it's made in Tiawan or India, WHY does the quality stink? OK so they pay the worker bees a LOT less than USA, but what does that have to do with the quality of the parts they make?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Duke94
Here's the question that need answering: Just because it's made in Tiawan or India, WHY does the quality stink? OK so they pay the worker bees a LOT less than USA, but what does that have to do with the quality of the parts they make?
Good point and as we all know, GM and Ford build cars in the U.S. and Americans don't want them because of quality issues.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 01-14-2007 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:57 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People use to grumble about the stuff made in Japan, most of these products are now considered some of the finest.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:03 AM
yellow 72
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I just put Trustar "made in China" bearings in my trailing arms
Duntov says they have never had a problem with them....they would know more than I
Old 01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke94
One word: metallurgy. Cheap Chineese steel is shXX. Quality control is lacking and the mills lack the higher-tech processes available in other countries. I had the oportunity to tour a local steel mill last summer. They don't have a melt shop there, they just buy steel slabs and roll them to customer's specs. The steel they buy is primarily from Brazil with Russian steel coming in a late second. Why no USA steel? Absurd cost. Why no Chineese steel? Despite the MAJOR cost advantage the quality is simply not there.

True, Japaneese products were once not highly regarded, but China is still VERY much a developing country while Japan is now highly industrialized. It is entirely possible that--in the future--Chineese products could rise to the same quality level we would expect from Japanese products but they are nowhere near yet.

Ultimately it is the responsibility of the company to ensure quality, regardless of where they manufacture.

Wikipedia's history of Timken.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:59 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Cookwithvette, thats pretty scary aint it,, but true. I recently needed to buy a blower motor resistor for my 2000 Z71 Silverado, went right to the local chevy dealer, they had it in stock, clearly marked on the box was "made in slovenia", I bought it and it works, now the fan speed works for all the speeds, not only hi, it used to be where one or two of the curly wire looking things would burn out, not this one, it was a circuit board with resistors soldered on it. A week later the drivers window regulator took a vacation,, the chintzy stranded wire that loops around to make the window go up and down frayed and got stuck in the conduit, again went to G.M. yep they had it in stock for $180.00 . I decided that was too much to pay for that contraption and left, it was by the way,, "hecho en Mexico". I called an old friend who works as a service mgr for a chevy dealer, gave him the part # and he said he could sell me that part for $120.00 bucks. but that he thought that napa could get that part for cheaper. I checked, they couldnt but I reserched it on-line and found one made in china for $80.00 bucks shipping included, it took two days to get here but it works and looked as good as the original one save for the frayed wires. World market,,,,,sorry for the hijack, and the rant,,,,,,Peace,,,Moosie
Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Cookwithvette
One word: metallurgy. Cheap Chineese steel is shXX. Quality control is lacking and the mills lack the higher-tech processes available in other countries. I had the oportunity to tour a local steel mill last summer. They don't have a melt shop there, they just buy steel slabs and roll them to customer's specs. The steel they buy is primarily from Brazil with Russian steel coming in a late second. Why no USA steel? Absurd cost. Why no Chineese steel? Despite the MAJOR cost advantage the quality is simply not there.

True, Japaneese products were once not highly regarded, but China is still VERY much a developing country while Japan is now highly industrialized. It is entirely possible that--in the future--Chineese products could rise to the same quality level we would expect from Japanese products but they are nowhere near yet.

Ultimately it is the responsibility of the company to ensure quality, regardless of where they manufacture.

Wikipedia's history of Timken.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I just went through the same situration with my front bearings. I purchased the bearings at Autozone and fully expected US made Timken bearings. I must admit I was somewhat disappointed when I saw that they were made in Poland. I live in Canton Ohio the home of Timken Bearings, many of my good friends even work there. I ask them about the bearings and just like so many other products that are made here the cost of manufacturing was becomming to great. They did assure me that Timken standards of quality are still in place even at the over seas plants. Still its kind of sad and just another example of the USA just selling themselfs out. We all want good products made in USA , but if they were still made here a lot of us simple would not be able to afford it.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
jhuff
Instructor

The overseas plants are also much newer than the plants in the states that have been there for much longer than you or I
Old 01-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hyatt Bearing got out of the tapered bearings when the front wheel drive cars started in the 80's. That was my bearing of choice at the time.Two places I knew of was Sandusky OH and Clark NJ. The plant in Clark was taken over by the employess but that went belly up. Now it is a golf course where the building stood. Gota love the pollitions NAFTA.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:32 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Timken is still making some here and I have been able to get them. Of course the next order coming in next week could be imported!
Torrington was bought by Timken about a year ro two ago. The diff yoke bearings come in Timken boxes but they are still stamped Torrington - made in the USA.
Hyatt then Hyatt/New departure were the original bearings used in the vette diff and spindles.
Name doesn't always mean highest quality either. Back in 1978 Bridgeposrt Machines used Fafner spindle bearings with an APEC rating of 7. the bean counters got them to drop to an APEC 5 but they were still Fafner bearings.
I still use the Timken over the othes for the wheel bearings and diff bearings but the Munice and ST-10 kits have been coming in with *** bearings for a few years now.
Stock up if you want to get them as the future doesn't look so brite for USA mfg.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:30 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want TImken bearings made in the USA ask for DT Components.

US made,..have "Timken" on the bearings and seals. Don't ask me what the relationship is between the two companies.

http://www.dtcomponents.com/
Old 01-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I love the casual attitude of may of you. The USA is steadily being undermined until we will no longer be self sufficient and unable to defend ourselves. Timken SUCKS! just like many other big corporations because they don't really care about the USA. The guy who lives in OH and has friends that work for Timken, what do they do? design the graphics for the boxes? We are steadily undermining ourselves and selling our hard won technology for pennies on the dollars. You children will live to regret you passive attitudes towards the unraveling of the USA. I would run Japaniese bearings before I put anything Eastern Euorpean into my Vette based on my expiriences with the bearings in the Muncie rebuild kits from Eastern Europe. The talk of NDH (thats New Departure Hyatt for you kiddies out there) brings tears to my eyes as they made some of the BEST quality bearings ever produced and can no longer be found (another GM corprate cost cutting measure of the late 70's early 80's.)

Get notified of new replies

To Timken Bearings and Polish Sausage

Old 01-14-2007, 06:00 PM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been in the "bearing" business for almost 21 years and I might be able to offer some insight here(remember, purely insight/opinion, from experience). First, the probable reason(s) bearings are no longer made in the USA(mostly)are:
1) The CNC technology available today allows anyone with minimal amounts of training to run them. Set them up, and they'll run all night long, not even asking for a break. When you come in the next morning, you're looking at a pile of finished product, all to tolerance.
2) More than likely, because of the above, it's more cost effective to have these machines in a country where the associated costs are significantly less(i.e. $.30/unit vs. $3.10/unit). Health care costs, wages, etc. all contributing factors.
No one, including myself, would pay $25 for a tapered roller bearing, when NTN, Koyo, and others are selling the same thing for $4. Hence, they've got to stay competitive in the marketplace. Just as we are buying the clothes at Wal-Mart and Target where a shirt is made in Bangladesh, it costs $19.95. You'd be hard-pressed(no pun intended) to find a USA made shirt for anywhere near that price. The market dictates!
As far as Timken bearings go, Timken is primarily a steel company. I'm sure the steel they're using is their own(I would hope). I wouldn't think that they buy steel from someone else when they make it. Therefore, they probably send it to the countries where the CNC machines are, and make the bearings for a fraction of the cost if it were in the US. Fortunately(and I say that because it's a good thing!), our country has grown in such a manner where it has "outgrown" this type of work. If we can't produce something, anything, and be competitive in the world marketplace, it's not worth doing.
I'm not trying to sound or be anti-American, or anti-jobs, but the truth is we're a mature society. It starts to sound political after a bit, but we just can't produce bearings here in the USA and be competitive in the world market anymore. I'd buy them, you'd buy them, but they've got to make them by the thousands, and make a profit.
I would still keep my confidence in the Timken name. They're a quality company, and continue to grow. They recently bought Torrington(needle bearings, probably some in our vettes), based out of Torrington, CT., I think they're still making them up there too! Also, Fafnir Bearings, which Torrington/Fafnir merged several years ago. They also still make bearings here in the USA. Farm bearings, pillow blocks, 6000 series bearings, etc . I'm sure they employ thousands of Americans.
Hope you find this helpful in some way.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I talked to my friends from Timken today and I ask them what was the difference between the Poland bearings and the USA bearings. They told me that the only difference between the two was in the harding process of the rollers themself. The overall quality is pretty much the same. My terminology may be wrong here but the bearings made in Poland go through a " slow thru heat process" and the USA bearings go thru a case harding type of process. Both are good, one of course is less expensive. Hope this help clear some thoughts up. Tim
Old 01-16-2007, 10:01 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recently bought new rear rotors for the Vette (all the way from the US of A). Guess what? The box said "Made in China". I hope the quality is better than most of the other products coming from China (DON'T start me off on this! ). The same week I was restoring a Triumph for a mate that had been re-imported (repatriated?!) from the US. A rebore was needed & I bought a set of oversize pistons. They came in a box with "Made in Japan" written on it (which is the equivalent of getting your Vette parts in a box with "Made in the Mustang factory" written on it!). They're very good quality, but even so, WTF?!

Quick Reply: Timken Bearings and Polish Sausage