C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REDNECK Torque Converter ??

Old 01-17-2007, 11:48 PM
BG528
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default REDNECK Torque Converter ??

Hello,

I am in the process of having a new engine built for my 72 Vette. It is going to be a pretty stout 377 Stroker, Solid Roller, Aluminum Heads... You guys get the idea. Just realized today that the engine is all well and good but the converter I have is going to do nothing to help my combination. Its a TCI but its pretty much a stock, retuned converter, nothing special.

Been looking through the pages of a couple other forums and it appears the the buzz on the Chevelle Forum is a company that can be found on ebay; I believe they are called REDNECK. Anyway there Converter is called "The Redneck Converter." I haven't posed this question on Chevelle forum yet, but I am in the market for an affordable converter (I took a big $$ hit on this engine so no $1100 converters for me this year!) I just wanted to find out if any of you have had any experiences with them. If not, can someone direct me to a good converter manufacturer thats affordable. What are you guys running.

377 Stroker
700R4 Trans w/ 3.73 Rear
Can give you cam specs if you need them,

Thanks,
Barry
Old 01-17-2007, 11:57 PM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.

Call Art Carr in Abilene Texas. Good stuff there.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:57 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BG528
Hello,

I am in the process of having a new engine built for my 72 Vette. It is going to be a pretty stout 377 Stroker, Solid Roller, Aluminum Heads... You guys get the idea. Just realized today that the engine is all well and good but the converter I have is going to do nothing to help my combination. Its a TCI but its pretty much a stock, retuned converter, nothing special.

Been looking through the pages of a couple other forums and it appears the the buzz on the Chevelle Forum is a company that can be found on ebay; I believe they are called REDNECK. Anyway there Converter is called "The Redneck Converter." I haven't posed this question on Chevelle forum yet, but I am in the market for an affordable converter (I took a big $$ hit on this engine so no $1100 converters for me this year!) I just wanted to find out if any of you have had any experiences with them. If not, can someone direct me to a good converter manufacturer thats affordable. What are you guys running.

377 Stroker
700R4 Trans w/ 3.73 Rear
Can give you cam specs if you need them,

Thanks,
Barry

Personally, I would get one from Jegs depending on the HP and if you buy Jegs own brand of TC you could get one for 100 to 250. A buddy of mine used to build engine from them and most of Jegs brand parts are name brand stuff that was just never labeled. I know all the Jegs brand cylinder heads are actually Canfields sold under their name. Also, if you have any problems with it they have a full year no questions asked retun policy.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:40 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by 69camfrk
Call Art Carr in Abilene Texas. Good stuff there.
...w/69cam... I'm using an Art Carr Super Torque 10" (custom) that is perfect for my application, which is also a stroker. They were excellent to deal with, and will aid you in making the perfect choice. (See my signature for combo info.)
Old 01-19-2007, 04:52 AM
BG528
Advanced

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
...w/69cam... I'm using an Art Carr Super Torque 10" (custom) that is perfect for my application, which is also a stroker. They were excellent to deal with, and will aid you in making the perfect choice. (See my signature for combo info.)
Ok,

I've heard of them too,... I will give them a call and get some information. I think I'm going to go with a 10" 3000-3200 (around there) stall. I don't know what the engine is going to make horsepower wise, but from the looks of it my builder is pretty serious about this engine.... (for what hes charging me he dam* well better be!)

Barry

Anyone else want to vote???
Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

ProTorque.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:18 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I dunno about the brand redneck ... but ... around here, a redneck, po'boy or dark continent engineered convertor is the little one that fits a Vega trans ... it fits TH350/400 too ... dunno 'bout 700.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by BG528
Ok,

I've heard of them too,... I will give them a call and get some information. I think I'm going to go with a 10" 3000-3200 (around there) stall. I don't know what the engine is going to make horsepower wise, but from the looks of it my builder is pretty serious about this engine.... (for what hes charging me he dam* well better be!)

Barry

Anyone else want to vote???
I'd get the engine done first; the converter choice will depend on the engine characteristics...HP, torque curve, cam duration, and your intended use. Dyno info helps make the perfect choice. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To REDNECK Torque Converter ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: REDNECK Torque Converter ??