C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 Tranny Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Capt. Ron
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '79 Tranny Leak

Last summer I was having some temp issues that I posted here and was given a great deal of knowledge that helped me to solve my problem. During the course of my quest to solve that problem I went through several part swap outs including a new radiator. Since the radiator swap out, I now have a tranny leak. My first thought was it had to be the tranny cooler lines since they would have been removed or loosened during the radiator switch. Up on the ramps goes the car for what I assumed would be a easy fix. Both lines are dry as a bone. HUM! Took it to the tranny shop and they said the pan gasket was leaking as it was a cheap rubber one so they replaced it with a "good" one. Problem solved I thought. Back in the garage for a few days and same old leak, Hum I said. (Seems as if I say that a lot) Back to the tranny shop and now it seems as if it's the front seal now not the pan gasket???? Decided to take my own look again before pulling the trans as it was only supposed to have 1000 miles on it when I bought the car. So, here are the stange parts of the story. Tranny fluid is bright red as it should be. Level on the dipstick is about an inch or more higher then the full mark. During the entire time the trannys been leaking the fluid level has not dropped at all. I am checking the level with the car hot, in park and idling as the dip stick says. Radiator fluid is green as it should be, no sign of oil or other.

My questions. Can the car be "making" tranny fluid from anywhere?? Would it be possible that it was overfilled at the radiator swap and is leaking from the vent? The leak seems to be coming from the torque converter dust cover area. I am sure that over the last 5 or 6 months that I have cleaned up as least a quart of fluid but the fluid level has not dropped any????? What say my fellow members. I have complete confidence that the brain power of this group can find a soulution for me.

Capt. Ron
Old 01-22-2007, 08:50 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Seal shouldn't leak at 1000 miles.

Get it to the right levels, clean everything and then check for leaks.

You probably don't have any.

I don't understand why the level is still high after the tranny shop replaced the pan gasket.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dipstick tube has a O ring seal. Maybe because it has too much fluid it is leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To '79 Tranny Leak

Quick Reply: '79 Tranny Leak