C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with this potential purchases 383

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
ChancWds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with this potential purchases 383

Can you review and inform me of the potential pitfalls of this 383. What questions do I need to ask? With this size carb, will I get above 10 mpg? Thanks in advance. See below for info on engine.

This is for a complete GM 383 stroker. Eagle forged 4340 crank, Eagle forged 4340 H- beam esp rods, SRP forged pistons 40 over, total seal rings, high flow oil pump, 6 quart oil pan, arp studs for mains, 4 bolt main block, new hone, new cam bearings, new crank bearings, new rod bearings, complete rotating assembly has been balanced, world class products heads, have been completely ported and polished, 2.02 1.60 valves, flowed 289 intake, 202 or 212 exhaust (I dont remember which one) at .600, new double valve springs, cometics head gaskets, arp head studs, Dont remember the exact specs for the cam, I am pretty sure it is a .580, .595 lift and somewhere around 260/280, victor jr. intake, and holley 900 cfm carb with mechanical secondary’s (This is a bad bitch carb, in perfect tune for this setup) Oh yeah, also the msd distributor and cap and wires.

This is a proven setup, I have taken pictures of the parts before and after so you know what I say is in this engine. I dont play games like that, but this is a great and proven setup. I was going to put this setup in my project car, but seeing the recent cars my buddies have been building, it is a must to go DART block and 408.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

That is a similar setup to what I have in my car. The cam specs are a little strange. If his duration is around 260@ .050 it is a pretty radical cam. I hope you do not have an automatic. I can't get mine to idle below 900 and it is very lumpy at that speed. That is a very stoudt motor and will make good HP in the upper rpm. Don't expect a whole lot below 3000 rpm but when it gets to 3000 hold on. I like the combo I have but I have a steep set of gears and a Tremec with a low 1st gear. I do not spend much time below 3000 rpm. Get the correct cam specs for this and you can get more info.
10 MPG is doable but your foot will dictate you MPG. I have gotten a low of about 4 to 5 and a high of around 16 to 17 with an overdrive tranny. This is definitly not a MPG motor.
The carb is OK. I run a 825 Mighty Demon and it seems to be just about right.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:45 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

it is a must to go DART block and 408. What does this mean? Why stop at 385 ci. With a dart block I would build a 415, 421, 427, 434.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:51 PM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I buy a Dart block I would have a 427 small block. I know you can go a little larger but there is something really cool about 427's and vette's. Its even cooler if the 427 is a small block.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:52 PM
ChancWds
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gordon,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, I have an automatic but this price is right for this engine. Your verification help make the transaction a little more tolerable. He is an engine builder pretty close by and needs $$ for his new motor (bigger, better, faster). He said he will warranty for one year. What gears do you have in the rear? I discussed the cam with him, he said it should be o.k but we will have to tune to the engine to find out. I am dropping the car off on Wed. and having the engine bay painted at the same time.

Thanks and I will email you as soon as I drop off.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me with this potential purchases 383

Quick Reply: Help me with this potential purchases 383