C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 PM
mooty1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan

how hard is it to remove oil pan to replace gasket on a 76?
Old 01-23-2007, 08:59 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty1
how hard is it to remove oil pan to replace gasket on a 76?

You'll have to remove the frame bolts that hold down the motor mounts, and lift the engine a bit. Be careful you don't crush the distributor on the firewall.

Also, this is a good chance for you to upgrade to the wonderful FelPro one piece rubber oil pan gasket. It's awesome in every way, and install is super easy with the alignment pins that come with it.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:31 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Why the MM bolts? I would have thought just dropp the suspension and pull the pan bolts from the bottom
Old 01-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Why the MM bolts? I would have thought just dropp the suspension and pull the pan bolts from the bottom

It's easier to lift the motor me thinks.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Just undo the idler arm from the frame and drop the steering rod assembly down as low as possible. The pan will have plenty of clearance at this point for easy removal. Done it many times.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Just unbolt the idler arm. Pull the tie rod down a bit and you can drop the pan. Its quick and easy.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
Just unbolt the idler arm. Pull the tie rod down a bit and you can drop the pan. Its quick and easy.

Personally, I had a hell of a time unbolting the idler arm when I replaced it. I cussed a lot and threw a few tools. I tried form above, then below, then above...took the wheel off...it was a royal pain in the...
Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 AM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
It's easier to lift the motor me thinks.
I do not have the tools to do this so.........

Take your time, the idler arm is not as easy to get to as the valve covers, but I thought easier than the auto transmission lockout clip on the steering column. It took me an evening after work (includes dinner break) to do the complete swap - maybe 3 hours including the oil change.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

If your rear main seal is leaking, it's a great time to replace it. Also, use the Fel-Pro 1 piece gasket when reassembling the pan. It comes with studs which helps tremendously with the reinstall. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:35 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Just undo the idler arm from the frame and drop the steering rod assembly down as low as possible. The pan will have plenty of clearance at this point for easy removal. Done it many times.

That has always worked for me. Works with Big Block cars too.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spankyellow
Old 01-24-2007, 12:51 PM
82X-FireVette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Unbolt the idler arm and lower the tie rods. I did mine that way with little difficulty.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 82X-FireVette
Unbolt the idler arm and lower the tie rods. I did mine that way with little difficulty.

Had you ever replaced the either of those before the work? That idler was horrible to get out with headers in there, and if you separate an original tie you should plan to replace it and everything else while you're down there.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
Racer11
Racer

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
If your rear main seal is leaking, it's a great time to replace it. Also, use the Fel-Pro 1 piece gasket when reassembling the pan. It comes with studs which helps tremendously with the reinstall. Good luck.
What does it take to replace the rear seal?? does the main rear cap need to come off?? How do I replace it,, is what Iam asking???

Thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 11:02 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Racer11
What does it take to replace the rear seal?? does the main rear cap need to come off?? How do I replace it,, is what Iam asking???

Thanks

Yes. Basically, the oil pan has to come off. To do this you can either raise the engine a little or lower the suspension by unbolting the idler arm.

Then, drain the oil and take off the pan.

The rear main cap is what needs to come down. The cap will have one side, and the other side will have to be pushed from behind the crank. You will only see it's two feet. I use anything plastic or wood that'll allow me to push on one of the feet and not scratch the journal.

It may be tough at first, but once you get that first little bit pushed out just grab it with some pliers and yank her out.

Replacing that part is just as hard because you have to get it started first, and that's the tricky part. Once it's started though it'll slide right in. I lube mine before I install them to help get them all the way around the back of the crank.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Racer11
Racer

That sounds pretty basic to do,,,,,what do I torque the cap bolts down to when I tighten it down.

And would that be a chance to replace the bolts with ARP studs ?? I would think I could do one at a time till they are all replaced. I know they torque different but they have instructions in the package and the lube for the threads.

Thanks

Second thought, what about looseing up all the main caps and just let the crank drop down just a very small tad and that would make it easier to push the seal around the back of the crank,,,,would that work.

Last edited by Racer11; 01-30-2007 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

That sounds pretty basic to do,,,,,what do I torque the cap bolts down to when I tighten it down.

And would that be a chance to replace the bolts with ARP studs ?? I would think I could do one at a time till they are all replaced. I know they torque different but they have instructions in the package and the lube for the threads.

Thanks

Second thought, what about looseing up all the main caps and just let the crank drop down just a very small tad and that would make it easier to push the seal around the back of the crank,,,,would that work.

I personally wouldn't change all the bolts to studs with the engine in the car and the caps holding up the crank but that's just me. You'd have to start in the middle and work your way out and that could get tricky.

Also, letting the crank fall a bit is a bad idea and waaaay too much trouble for just pushing a rubber seal around the crank. It'll go just work it.

Get notified of new replies

To oil pan

Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Racer11
Racer

Ok,,,,I will go with that advice,,,,,,,Now what torque do I put on the cap bolts after the rear main is installed??

Thanks
Old 01-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Ok,,,,I will go with that advice,,,,,,,Now what torque do I put on the cap bolts after the rear main is installed??

Thanks

Okay, well, your profile is not filled out and I don't know what year your car is and I don't know if you have an 'L' or an 'X' motor.

If it's an 'L' motor - 75 lbs

If it's an 'X' motor - 95 lbs
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Racer11
Racer

That was a quick response LOL

The year is a 76 and the engine is a 350 thats all I know about it,,,wouldnt that be a L-48 I think that is what is on the console plate,,,I could go look if need be,,,its out in the shop back of the house.

Quick Reply: oil pan