C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Composite spring ??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 04:20 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Quick Composite spring ??????

I just got around to installing my replacement VBP composite spring today. The car is still on jack stands and the spring plate is snugged up with the bolts. I know you are suppose to torque a steel springs plate bolts with the cars weight on it. Should I do that with the composite spring too? Thanks
John
Old 01-27-2007, 07:53 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
I just got around to installing my replacement VBP composite spring today. The car is still on jack stands and the spring plate is snugged up with the bolts. I know you are suppose to torque a steel springs plate bolts with the cars weight on it. Should I do that with the composite spring too? Thanks
John
John, even though there is far less arch in the composite spring than in the original, I would recommend you put the weight on it anyway. I did this on my '73 when I installed the VB&P composite spring. Probably because I stripped the housing bolt on my '63 when I did it without putting the weight on it first back in 1970. It can't hurt and there is little chance of stripping it this way.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-27-2007, 08:02 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Thanks Gusto. I did my first composite that way too. Search for my cracked spring post a few months ago for details. I PM Dan at Van Steel for verification but did it Friday afternoon so he hasn't replyed yet. I wanted to get this done this weekend so I asked all the experts here.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:18 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

I'll be surprised if you can get the plate to torque w/o bending. I couldn't, I'm going to fab a plate out of 1/4". It's the only thing I don't like about the VB&P mono, the bottom plate is a POS.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ratflinger
I'll be surprised if you can get the plate to torque w/o bending. I couldn't, I'm going to fab a plate out of 1/4". It's the only thing I don't like about the VB&P mono, the bottom plate is a POS.
This is a Van Steel plate and seems thicker than the original. It didn't bend the first time I installed it.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Composite spring ??????

Quick Reply: Quick Composite spring ??????