C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Front Brake Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 PM
billybaloneey
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 78 Front Brake Rotor Replacement

I'm replacing the front (and rear) brake rotors on my 78 project car. Anyone have any previous experience? Any helpful hints? Are the orginal hub/rotor rivets hard to drill out? What size drill bit should be used?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Info from another Forum Member gtr1999. If you do a search, there are lots of threads on rotor removal.

These can be removed with a hand drill and chisel. Center punch the rivet,center drill the rivet, drill down about .250-.375" with a .312" drill to clear the river head, cut across the rivet head with the chisel, 2 blows will do and the head wil come out. The body can then be hammered out and the hole tapped for 3/8-24 to bolt the new rotor on. Check the runout and don't assume new rotors will not have any - they do.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can say that you do not need to worry about attaching the new rotors to the hubs. The wheel and lug nuts will keep them together just fine. The reason they were riveted from the factory is because the car was put on it's sides during production and they didn't want the rotors falling off.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:32 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
The reason they were riveted from the factory is because the car was put on it's sides during production and they didn't want the rotors falling off.

The caliper would keep them from falling off. Doesn't make sense.

Riviting keeps rust and derbis from getting in between the rotor and axle/hub.

Ask me how i know. But i still don't bother to re-rivit. Its just too much trouble to drill these out each time you replace the rotor.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Front Brake Rotor Replacement

Quick Reply: 78 Front Brake Rotor Replacement