C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken exhaust manifold stud!

Old 10-07-2001, 11:15 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken exhaust manifold stud!

My connections between the exhaust pipe and manifolds are leaking. I sprayed WD40 on them for the last week. Today I tried to tighten on of them and snapped off part of the stud. Does anyone know how to remove the rest of the stud and free up the other one before they break too?
Old 10-07-2001, 11:58 PM
79 vette
Instructor

Default Re: Broken exhaust manifold stud! (bl75vette)

I think the best way to get it out is to bring it to mienike or midas or some kind of shop that has a tourch. :seeya
Old 10-08-2001, 01:21 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I had to replace all 6 of mine right after I bought my 73. You will need to remove the manifold and use lots of heat (I used a propane torch) and lots of penetrating oil. Just soaking overnight worked on some of them, altenating heat and oil (watch out though, WD40 is flamable) worked on others, but two of them broke off and I had to use an easy out on them.
It helps to have a big vise to hold the manifold while you are working on it, and I used a Vise Grip to grab the old stud. If you have to resort to the easy out I found that it helps to grind the end of the bolt flat with a cutoff wheel before drilling, that way the bit doesn't wander as much and you have a better shot at getting the hole centered in the stud.
I installed the stainless steel stud kit from Volunteer Vette in mine and I haven't had any trouble since, there are also some available with brass nuts that work good too. I would also suggest getting the metal doughnut instead of fiber. I had 3 of the fiber ones fail on the passenger side before I found out about the metal ones.
Another suggestion would be to get new manifold to head bolts, those tend to corrode and rust as well and as long as you have the manifolds out it is worth it to replace them.
Old 10-08-2001, 01:14 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bl75Vette--I once had the same problem. I went to a muffler shop and the mechanic welded a bolt to the broken stud. Next, he heated the area around the stud with a torch; then he unscrewed the stud using socket wrench.

I prefer using Liquid Wrench over WD40 for loosening old fasteners. It seems to penetrate better.
Old 10-08-2001, 04:58 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Broken exhaust manifold stud! (Biker)

I am in the process of pulling the manifolds to replace the studs :cry

The the plate that was on the old exhaust system had been filed down to fit on :eek:

hope you get it out

ZD
Old 10-08-2001, 08:36 PM
bl75vette
Instructor

Default Re: Broken exhaust manifold stud! (ZD75blue)

Thanks guys for all your input. I guess I'll pull the manifolds during the winter months and play with the studs. If not successful, I guess I will confide in Midas or Meinike.

Get notified of new replies

To Broken exhaust manifold stud!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken exhaust manifold stud!