C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm considering a steeroids converison and looking for opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:57 AM
roadrocket
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I'm considering a steeroids converison and looking for opinions

I have a 69 convertible with factory power steering and I'm considering converting the car to a Steeroids rack. I've heard comments that some don't like the feel of steering after the conversions. I've put a front end suspension kit on the car but still don't like the sloppy steering. I probably have a little play in my old steering box but I just don't think a new box is going to make that much difference.

I'm looking for opinions from others that have done the conversion. Are you happy with it? Any problems? Any regrets? What about other racks also? I understand Flaming River has a kit too. Anyone went with that kit?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

Steve
Old 03-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went from manual to Steeriods so the feel was def much lighter but for me it was worth it. Some have said they believe the brackets are not sturdy enough so to be on the safe side I like to get the car rolling before turning the wheel (similar to what I had to do with the manual stock system) to reduce the stress on the brackets.

Being the cheap guy that I am I probably would have bought the Jeep box base system if they had been out but still have no regrets getting the Steeriods system, makes my vette much more enjoyable to drive than the old manual system.

Get a OD trans next are you will have a fairly modern tech car that is 25+ years old.

Last edited by Fevre; 03-10-2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:58 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a sloppy steering box and leaking power assist. I chose Steeroids instead of new replacement box, cylinder, control, hoses, etc. I am very glad I did. Yes, the feel is a little too light, but they sell a shim kit to help in that area.

As for the strength of the brackets, they are plenty strong for my driving. I don't recall anyone reportting the brackets actually failing. Speculation? If so, an isolated case?

I did read a few threads about the installation of another r&p steering kit. Wow! What a lot of work. Modifying the frame? No way. The Steeroids installation was quite straight forward. The bracket and gusset fit was surprisingly good. I had no problem aligning the u-joint chain to be straight. The most difficult part of the installation was connecting one of the hoses to the PS pump.

Overall, Steeroids was the third best upgrade I made to my '80. (First is GM 350 HO crate engine, second is full-length ceramic coated headers with true dual pipes and Flo-Pro mufflers.)
Old 03-10-2007, 08:32 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i like steeroids and the feel is light...but so much better then before...1/8" movement in the steering wheel produces wheel movement
Old 03-10-2007, 09:57 PM
roadrocket
Advanced

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Yeah I think I'm going to put the steeroids system on my car. Even if the feel is a little light that doesn't seem like too big a problem. And 1/8 movement in the steering wheel to get tire movements sure sounds sweet. It might steer something like my C5, wouldn't that be great.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 AM
cchristo
Pro

Install was pretty straight forward. I did have some issues with getting the u-joints aligned properly.

I like the feel, and don't miss the old system at all.

Wish it didn't cost so much, but replacing all the stock parts isn't much cheaper.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:42 AM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I put one of the first Steeroid's systems on my 71 Coupe many years ago and it's been great. There's no way that the stock system can come close due to the control valve etc, and if you want road feel a rack is much better than a power box.

The brackets seem fine to me, and most modern cars flex their rack's rubber mounts a little if turning the wheel at rest.

Pros: Fantastic linear feel and fast ratio.

Cons: Slightly light feel (I guess there's a shim available to help with this, though I haven't tried it), and it hangs a little low if your Vette is lowered a bunch (fine at stock ride height).

Conclusion: The Steeroid's rack is one of the best things I've done to my C3, which include a 700R4 OD Trans, 400HP-406ci, and a modded HVAC system that delivers more fresh air at cruise.

That said, if your Vette is lowered a lot and in the weeds, then I'd choose the Jeep Box personally.

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I had a sloppy steering box and leaking power assist. I chose Steeroids instead of new replacement box, cylinder, control, hoses, etc. I am very glad I did. Yes, the feel is a little too light, but they sell a shim kit to help in that area.

As for the strength of the brackets, they are plenty strong for my driving. I don't recall anyone reporting the brackets actually failing. Speculation? If so, an isolated case?

I did read a few threads about the installation of another r&p steering kit. Wow! What a lot of work. Modifying the frame? No way. The Steeroids installation was quite straight forward. The bracket and gusset fit was surprisingly good. I had no problem aligning the u-joint chain to be straight. The most difficult part of the installation was connecting one of the hoses to the PS pump.

Overall, Steeroids was the third best upgrade I made to my '80. (First is GM 350 HO crate engine, second is full-length ceramic coated headers with true dual pipes and Flo-Pro mufflers.)
Old 03-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Hadez
Drifting

I had a steeroids kit installed on my 69 convert inplace of a perfect working original PS system. I could not believe the difference. If you drive the car aggressive then you will want the steeriods as it makes things a lot easier to control plus it cleans up the engine bay greatly making tons of room.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I feel it's easy enough to do your own rack install, and it's possible for about 200 bux or less.....using stock tie rod ends, an adaptor block in the center, longer sleeves, and a junkyard rack---Ifound a fresh one from a '92 Grand am.....much cleaner than the engine, so it was new to that car....rebuilt I"m sure....been fine for me....inputs linkages are just junkyard parts from forgotten cars.....
Old 03-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Irish69427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any clearance issues on a big block car with headers?
Old 03-11-2007, 11:21 AM
cchristo
Pro

Originally Posted by Irish69427
Any clearance issues on a big block car with headers?
I can't speak to the big block, but I did have to dimple my headers just a tiny bit to allow for the heim joint.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:32 AM
tellcom2001
Instructor

i put the steroids rack on my 79 vett and lowered the front 1" with mono coils and there is plenty of room. my headers hang lower then the rack. awsome upgrade
Old 03-11-2007, 02:35 PM
doug_dayson
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My 71's at F41 trim height and it's fine, but for those of you who are running small diameter wheel/tire combos and have lowered your Vette over them, you have to remember that if you hit your headers etc you won't lose control of your car (in most cases), but if you hit your steering linkage and break something you will.

Just something for the extremely lowered car owners to consider...

Originally Posted by tellcom2001
i put the steroids rack on my 79 vett and lowered the front 1" with mono coils and there is plenty of room. my headers hang lower then the rack. awsome upgrade
Old 03-11-2007, 02:39 PM
clive
Racer

I converted from manual box. Do a search this has been discussed over and over.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fevre
Went from manual to Steeriods so the feel was def much lighter but for me it was worth it. Some have said they believe the brackets are not sturdy enough so to be on the safe side I like to get the car rolling before turning the wheel (similar to what I had to do with the manual stock system) to reduce the stress on the brackets.

Being the cheap guy that I am I probably would have bought the Jeep box base system if they had been out but still have no regrets getting the Steeriods system, makes my vette much more enjoyable to drive than the old manual system.

Get a OD trans next are you will have a fairly modern tech car that is 25+ years old.
I didn't consider Steeroids because the bracketry did not appear adequate. I am an MIT ME and long time Corvette enthusiast. I remember seeing one incident of bent steeroids brackets, but cannot provide any info beyond my, possibly faulty, memory. To my eye the bracketry isn't even in the ballpark for steering for a 3100 to 3800 pound sports car. You should recognize as I do that this is simply my opinion.

If you have the early (stiffer) springs in the factory steering valve and your steering box is good condition and set properly the factory PS works fine. There is NO lost motion in a properly set steering box.

If you are really concerned about the feel, the PS steering valve could be rebuilt with even stiffer centering springs (or perhaps shimmed early springs) to provide manual steering effort and NO lost motion at speeds above 20 or 30 MPH and power assist with somewhat higher effort below those speeds.

I have thought about figuring this out and offering a conversion kit, but have never gotten around to it.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
dewcustom
Racer

Go for it!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:07 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Get notified of new replies

To I'm considering a steeroids converison and looking for opinions

Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM
mjackson1000
Intermediate

Default steer-oids

I'm installing the Steeroids kit now...July '11....

also pulling the 454-TH400 and installing a 496 & TKO600...

....replacing all the front suspension rubber with urethane pieces....

....installing Vintage Air A/C, 4-core aluminm radiator, elect fans and fuel pump....

....should be a lot of fun....!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Default T56 Swap... GTO or F-body tranny

error
Old 01-19-2015, 11:17 PM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bebezote
error
Well... putting mine in this week. I will let you know what I Think...

Quick Reply: I'm considering a steeroids converison and looking for opinions