C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOLY $HIT....I HAVE COLD A/C!!!!-LONG post

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:01 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Default HOLY $HIT....I HAVE COLD A/C!!!!-LONG post

So today I decide to play around while cruising the vette and I stick a thermometer in the center vents for testing. Cruising with everything turned off and the hot/cold control on cold, I have about 95-100*s on average coming through...Turning the AC on max with the blower on high gets the temp to about 85-88*. No doubt its just the blower circulating it and its dropping the temp some.

So I go to a buddy's house that does AC work and tell him what its doing, he suggests dumping some test refrigerant in there thats like R12. Its only for testing but its like an R12 blend with something else. He only had 3 cans so we dumped em in. The system requires 4 cans. Anyway after about 20 mins, the temps start dropping in the car like crazy at idle. I am freaking out, its actually cold air coming in. We idle the car about 20 mins or so and the temp gets to about 48-50*. The lines are sweating and nothing is freezing up so it all seems to be working. WE go for a cruise for about 30 mins on a 50mph road the temp drops to 45*. I drop my buddy off, go to my house to get another thermometer because I can't believe this $hit. I drive the car for about an hour, mostly at speed but with some idling here and there, the temps averaged 41-42* on one thermometer and 43-45* on the other. I stopped got gas, started it up and it cooled right back down again. Now after about an hour and 15 mins, I pull up in the driveway and the first thermometer is 39-40* and the other is 40-41*. I actually had to turn the blower down to the med speed it got so cool in the car. The insulation really seems to help, thats for sure.

NOW the problem is, WILL IT HOLD IT? LOL this thing has not had freon in it for 20 yrs so I am sure its got a leak. My friend wants me to drive it for a week and measure the temps. If it starts getting noticeably warmer, we will sniff it for leaks...IF it stays cool, he wants to pull a vacuum on it and dump another can in there to top it off. This is not even real R12 freon but it works and is only like $5 a can. Even if it leaks it all out, it still proves to me
A) Everything in my system works(poa valve, expansion valve, evaporator, condensor etc)

B) The AC will definetly overcome what hot air I have entering the system through the firewall, AC system etc. Now I don't have to chase my tail around looking for hot air leaks I'm sure I will never get completely fixed.

Keep in mind its only 78-80* outside right now and I know when its 95-100* with tons of humidity, it probably won't blow but 50-60* but hey, its working.

I am completely stoked about this thing working. The clock is ticking to see if it holds.
Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to give all the details.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:08 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So - you have to turn it down too ! That is wierd even though itg has not had freon in it for so long...... Hope it has no problems - keep us posted.... I can't wait to say the same about mine !
Old 03-25-2007, 08:13 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I need some of this stuff. Please find out what it is.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:27 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmick
I need some of this stuff. Please find out what it is.

YUppers.....I"m kinda tired of 134.....need something better, to a/c my vert with the top down.....

Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Low on freon>

Let us know after some time to see if you have a leak and its all gone.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be mixed with something flamable, I'd check it out first.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

its probably R22 ...?
Old 03-25-2007, 11:40 PM
TXvette78
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you tell us what you used?

I am about to charge up my A/C, and check for leaks. I have access to r-12 but it isn't cheap. By the way, I live in Dickinson.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

OK I talked to the guy that filled it up. He put in "Freon 12", also known as "Freeze 12" which is an R12 replacement. Its actually a blend of R12 freon and some other stuff. He says its good to use on old systems for testing and is even safe to use long term ASSUMING there is no leaks. He told me that slow leaks are the worst because the blended freon breaks down and seperates, then certain ingredients escape the system and others stay in. The ingredients that stay in the system can be acidic and actually hurt or destroy the AC system componets.

He told me to drive it and watch the discharge air temps, if they stay consistant within range and the system cools for extended periods, to let it ride and see what happens. If the AC starts blowing warmer air, that means its gotta leak and at that time, we need to pull a vacuum on it and get all the Freon 12 out, find the leak and refill with regular freon after the leaks are fixed. He also told me that slow freon leaks are HARD to find, especially if its in the evaporator.

For now I am gonna let it ride and see what happens. The AC guy could not believe that this system didn't cycle on and off and had no low pressure switch. He also couldn't believe that my evaporator did not freeze up with the compressor running the whole time.

This is good info. I have never known $hit about AC but I am studying up now.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:36 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Just another test note, I just stuck the thermometer in my truck which was the colder reading of the two I had in the vette, my truck is a 05 F150 with the 4.6 v8. With it on Max AC, full cold its blowing 39-40* with an outside temp of 70* so the vette is right in line with my truck on this thermometer. Not sure which thermometer is more acurate, there is about a 2-3 degree difference in them every time I use them but either way, its BOTTOM 40s. Ofcourse the 2nd speed of the fan in the truck is equivalent to HI in the vette...LOL

Now I gotta find out about the C4 blower mod.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
OK I talked to the guy that filled it up. He put in "Freon 12", also known as "Freeze 12" which is an R12 replacement. Its actually a blend of R12 freon and some other stuff. He says its good to use on old systems for testing and is even safe to use long term ASSUMING there is no leaks. He told me that slow leaks are the worst because the blended freon breaks down and seperates, then certain ingredients escape the system and others stay in. The ingredients that stay in the system can be acidic and actually hurt or destroy the AC system componets.

He told me to drive it and watch the discharge air temps, if they stay consistant within range and the system cools for extended periods, to let it ride and see what happens. If the AC starts blowing warmer air, that means its gotta leak and at that time, we need to pull a vacuum on it and get all the Freon 12 out, find the leak and refill with regular freon after the leaks are fixed. He also told me that slow freon leaks are HARD to find, especially if its in the evaporator.

For now I am gonna let it ride and see what happens. The AC guy could not believe that this system didn't cycle on and off and had no low pressure switch. He also couldn't believe that my evaporator did not freeze up with the compressor running the whole time.

This is good info. I have never known $hit about AC but I am studying up now.
He has only worked on newer systems then
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by noonie
He has only worked on newer systems then

I tried to tell him these don't clutch in and out but he didn't believe me.. Then he said that SOMETHING has got to keep the pressure down so it won't freeze the evap core. We checked the head pressure, at idle it was 140psi and at 2000 rpms it was like 240lbs. He said that was pretty good.

I told him I don't know what regulates the system and keeps it from freezing up but I know it doesn't clutch in and out which I like.

I just hope that blending Freon 12 doesn't F up my compressor.

Anyone know how to check or add "oil" to the compressor?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 PM
noonie
Race Director

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I tried to tell him these don't clutch in and out but he didn't believe me.. Then he said that SOMETHING has got to keep the pressure down so it won't freeze the evap core. We checked the head pressure, at idle it was 140psi and at 2000 rpms it was like 240lbs. He said that was pretty good.

I told him I don't know what regulates the system and keeps it from freezing up but I know it doesn't clutch in and out which I like.

I just hope that blending Freon 12 doesn't F up my compressor.

Anyone know how to check or add "oil" to the compressor?
Sounds like your friend is quite capable.
Just needs a primer on the old systems.

Your really better to convert to 134a or stay with r12 on the oiling issue.
You have to evacuate the refrigerant and flush etc to refill with the correct amount of oil for the system.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Sounds like your friend is quite capable.
Just needs a primer on the old systems.

Your really better to convert to 134a or stay with r12 on the oiling issue.
You have to evacuate the refrigerant and flush etc to refill with the correct amount of oil for the system.
Does the oil stay in the compressor? Is it added to the compressor? How do you check it? I am not even sure it has any in it. The ac hasn't worked in 20yrs or better.

I am not really interested in converting to R134. If mine does leak, I will just sniff it out, find it, fix it and refill with the Freeze 12 for testing, then maybe evacuate it and reinstall the R12 after we know there is no leaks. OR I might just leave the Freeze 12.

I am gonna wait and see what it does for now, I just don't want to burn the compressor up if its supposed to have oil in it and it doesn't.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
noonie
Race Director

If you have the old a6 compressor it does have an oil sump and a certain amount of oil will stay there.
A/c systems keep the oil in suspension so you must evacuate the system, flush it and refill with the proper amount. No way of checking it. Even the compressors with a dipstick is just a bunch of hype.

The Freeze 12, as your friend mentioned, is only a small % compatable with the mineral oil etc, so it can be a crap shoot even at best. Your dice, your parts, your money.

Accepted method for leak testing is with nitrogen and dye, cheapest way.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Bob3700
Racer

Default Regulating the Temp!

The old systems have an expansion valve that regulates the constant flow of freon to the evaporator.

There is a thermobulb that comes off the expansion valve and is attached to the outlet of the evaporator. It is usually hidden under a tar like insulating material. This senses the outlet temp and regulates the freon (via the expansion valve) into the evaporator.

This regulation maintains the evaporator at a temperature just above freezing. (38-40 degreese).

Bob
Old 03-26-2007, 04:15 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bob3700
The old systems have an expansion valve that regulates the constant flow of freon to the evaporator.

There is a thermobulb that comes off the expansion valve and is attached to the outlet of the evaporator. It is usually hidden under a tar like insulating material. This senses the outlet temp and regulates the freon (via the expansion valve) into the evaporator.

This regulation maintains the evaporator at a temperature just above freezing. (38-40 degreese).

Bob
Thanks for the explanation Bob..Mine does have what looks to be a little copper wire wrapped around the aluminum tubing covered in thick black goop. It looks completely original and unmolested so I am suprised this thing even works at all. The only part I can find that has been replaced is one of the hoses.

Noonie, I guess if mine leaks out, I will try the dye method to find the leak. Hopefully it doesn't waste my compressor. Like you said, its a gamble. Hell if it works a couple years and I don't have to spend any $$ on it, I can't complain when it does crap out.

I just ordered new T-Top seals and window seals so I can seal this baby up tight to keep er cool during the sweltering summers here..

Next mod, C4 blower.

Get notified of new replies

To HOLY $HIT....I HAVE COLD A/C!!!!-LONG post

Old 03-27-2007, 07:44 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Still cold...woo hoo.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:34 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

If you have the old a6 compressor it does have an oil sump and a certain amount of oil will stay there.
A/c systems keep the oil in suspension so you must evacuate the system, flush it and refill with the proper amount. No way of checking it. Even the compressors with a dipstick is just a bunch of hype.

The Freeze 12, as your friend mentioned, is only a small % compatable with the mineral oil etc, so it can be a crap shoot even at best. Your dice, your parts, your money.

Accepted method for leak testing is with nitrogen and dye, cheapest way.
hey noonie,
I'd read that when a system is evacuated, no oil is removed. True?
Jim
Old 03-27-2007, 11:45 AM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 82 blows cold. I was told it was converted over to accept the new refridgerant. I am not sure what the new refridgerant is though. You guys Have any Idea what it could be? However the engine runs like crap when the AC is on. I favor the windows down and tops out anyway!

Quick Reply: HOLY $HIT....I HAVE COLD A/C!!!!-LONG post