C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor Idle Stop Solenoid: Do I Need It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Carburetor Idle Stop Solenoid: Do I Need It?

Team,

79 L82, auto/AC car, original Q-Jet.

The tab that connects the wire to the carburetor idle stop solenoid broke off while wrenching yesterday. Is it safe to run the car without this part (my guess is yes it is safe). Do I need it at all? What exactly does it do?

Thanks, Steve
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes it is safe to run it. The solenoid is there to STOP the IDLE (diesel) when you turn off the key
Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

The solenoid is there to prevent the engine from stalling when the A/C is on - when A/C = ON, the solenoid is activated and holds the idle higher.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pws69
The solenoid is there to prevent the engine from stalling when the A/C is on - when A/C = ON, the solenoid is activated and holds the idle higher.
OK, now I'm starting to think it NEVER worked since the tab was loose from the start. Whenever I turned on the AC and stopped at a traffic light or drove at slow speed I would stall. Learn something new each day...

I should be able to check for continuity by using a meter on the green wire and switching on the AC to look for current, correct?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another way: use the volt scale and look for 12 volts
Old 03-26-2007, 01:11 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wuttin
OK, now I'm starting to think it NEVER worked since the tab was loose from the start. Whenever I turned on the AC and stopped at a traffic light or drove at slow speed I would stall. Learn something new each day...

I should be able to check for continuity by using a meter on the green wire and switching on the AC to look for current, correct?
Idle solenoids were used two different ways. On my 74 the idle solenoid was used to prevent dieseling when the car was turned off. The idle stop solenoid was set so the engine would idle correctly and when the ignition was shut off it disengaged and allowed the carb to close completely. On later models I believe it was used to increase the idle when the AC was on. An easy way to check it would be to measure voltage at the line. If you have 12 volts or better when the ignition is turned on but the AC is off the solenoid was used to control dieseling. If you have no voltage with the engine running and the AC is off try turning the AC on. If you get voltage at that point the solenoid was used to increase the idle when the AC is on. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vettfixr - did your vette have factory A/C? i see it looks like it did in your pics. my 74 had A/C and the solenoid was used to increase the idle with the A/C on (so that no chnage in idle speed could be detected). if they came both ways, i wonder what determined which way they would be wired? northern vs southern maybe? i think i'd rather have the thing wired to the A/C if i had a choice . . .
Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vettfixr
Idle solenoids were used two different ways. On my 74 the idle solenoid was used to prevent dieseling when the car was turned off. The idle stop solenoid was set so the engine would idle correctly and when the ignition was shut off it disengaged and allowed the carb to close completely. On later models I believe it was used to increase the idle when the AC was on. An easy way to check it would be to measure voltage at the line. If you have 12 volts or better when the ignition is turned on but the AC is off the solenoid was used to control dieseling. If you have no voltage with the engine running and the AC is off try turning the AC on. If you get voltage at that point the solenoid was used to increase the idle when the AC is on. Good luck.
I don't recall that they ever used one for "preventing dieseling" on Corvettes - only for the A/C - Idle issue, HOWEVER, them's some pretty old and abused brain cells so I could be wrong!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:44 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No, my 74 definitely had the solenoid controlling the dieseling. It says so in the factory repair manual. One other possibility is the fact that mine is a 4 speed car. They might have used the solenoid for the AC on automatics since the idle on those would drop more than a car with the clutch in. BTW, my car was factory air.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 PM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by vettfixr
No, my 74 definitely had the solenoid controlling the dieseling. It says so in the factory repair manual. One other possibility is the fact that mine is a 4 speed car. They might have used the solenoid for the AC on automatics since the idle on those would drop more than a car with the clutch in. BTW, my car was factory air.
vettfixr, my 72 is the same way as yours and I need the idle stop solenoid becasue my car dieseled from time to time without it. Now that I have it installed no more dieseling.

But, there is a flip side to that coin. The solenoid is not strong enough to push the accelerator linkage when you turn the key on so you have to turn the key to the on position, push the gas pedal slightly so the solenoid can extend then let off the pedal and the car will start. If you don't do this the accelerator linkage will stay shut and the car won't start.

Before the advent of electronic fuel injection, I was always taught to push the gas pedal once and let up BEFORE I turned the key on. Well, that feeds the initial shot of fuel into the carb but you won't get any air if the solenoid can't extend.

Probably why they went away from using a solenoid to stop dieseling.

Just a different way of doing things.

cc

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor Idle Stop Solenoid: Do I Need It?

Quick Reply: Carburetor Idle Stop Solenoid: Do I Need It?