C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going from points to breakerless - which brand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going from points to breakerless - which brand?

I'm thinking of going with a breakerless ignition system for my distributor. I want to use one of the kits that keeps the distributor stock.

Pertronix, Accel, Crane, Mallory and others, make this system. Is there an advantage of one over the rest? Have you had any problems with yours?

thanks - Mark
Old 04-03-2007, 12:30 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Top of the heap is "Breakerless SE" ... at www.lectriclimited.com ... next is probably Crane XRi. However, a distributor in good shape, with good points-condenser, properly setup ... is hard to beat.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:49 AM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a HEI dist. with a high output coil.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:10 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

I would probably recommend the Mallory after the Crane that was suggested above; I've had good success with Mallory distributors.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:43 AM
Bruce C
Instructor

I had a Petronix system a few years back and it failed on me, would have been a real pain in the butt except I had my old points wrapped up and stored in the jack compartment as a backup. I just installed a Crane XR3000, but it definitely doesn't look stock, although I was tempted by the xri module.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a Pertronix that I ran for a couple of years. It ran OK until one day when the engine started cutting out at highway speed. I replaced it with a Crane XR1 and its run well for about 3+ years now. The Crane is easier to install because it reads off the distributor cam lobe. You basically just screw it in to the distributor top and connect the two wires to each side of the coil. With the Pertronix you have to take apart the distributor if you have too much play in it and make sure the clearance between the pickup and the magnetic ring is set right. You also get a rev limiter in the Crane XR! which is kinda nice if you like to spin the engine up.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 AM
0Corvette Engineering
Former Vendor

NOT Pertronix...

GM HEI, with an MSD upgrade.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:49 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

please keep in mind if you want to consider an electronic conversion kit over points that there is no performance improvement.

If your points distributor is in good operating condition, is in correct tolerances without excess shaft end and / or side play, your points are fresh hi-tension points and have a good cap than a points distributor is very reliable (more reliable than any electronic conversion kit) and will perform very well.

IF your distributor is out of tolerances with excess shaft play than your dwell will vary causing timing to flucuate and causes lack of performance and idle quality. If that's the case than an electronic conversion kit will "mask" the problem since there is no dwell to worry about on eectronic conversion kits but it still doesn't solve the issue of you running a distributor that needs to be rebuilt although you very well may see a bit of increase in performance simply because of the masking affectt of the kit because it eliminates the dwell problem.
Rather than spending almost $200 on an electronic conversion kit like the Pertronix, Breakerless SE, etc, you would be better off and spend less money to rebuild your distibutor to correct tolerances and good operating condition and retain your points.

Since I had the distributor in my '65 rebuilt and put in correct hi-tension points (28-32oz) I can easily spin that motor to well past redline and she runs great with no points float and keeps pulling strong at 7500rpm.

If you are considering the electronic conversion hoping for a performance increase than i'd offer two alternative suggestions. ** note! neither of these two alternatives is an electronic conversion kit!;

1. keep the points (again also first making sure the distributor is in good operating condition and within tolerance specs) and adding a performance type coil set-up such as the MSD hi voltage coils.

2. swap out to a mechanical tach drive HEI distributor. This can be done using the stock GM type built in coil or with the addition of a seperate hi-performance ignition coil box such as from MSD

both of the alternatives listed will increase the voltage to the sparks offering somewhat increased performance although unless you have other mods on your motor I question how much performance increase you will really gain in terms of actual real-life feel while driving.

my first suggestion is still to make sure your points distributor is is correct specs and operating correctly and making sure you have good quality hi-tension points. If you do this with your stock motor that factory points distributor is a hard to beat and will be very reliable and run strong. The only thing you need to do after that is once a year check and re-set dwell and replace to fresh points - a job that will cost you about $12 - $15 (for new points and condenser) and 10 minutes work.
You can go a LOT of years at only $12/yr to replace the points before you come close to the cost of the electronic conversion kits such as Pertronix, etc AND it will be more reliable of a system.

Last edited by BarryK; 04-03-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

plain truth & well said Barry
Old 04-03-2007, 10:44 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
I cannot over state how much of an improvement there was rebuilding my distributor. My end play was .045 whereas the spec is .007. Imagine how much my rotor and dwell were bouncing around!!!

But, the OP was asking what brand to go with versus if it should be done. I did some research into this (I'm no expert by any stretch) but decided if I was going to do it it was going to the breakerless SE kit from www.lectricunlimited.com

Jim
Old 04-03-2007, 11:23 AM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jim2527
I cannot over state how much of an improvement there was rebuilding my distributor. My end play was .045 whereas the spec is .007. Imagine how much my rotor and dwell were bouncing around!!!

Jim
Jim,
Did you do the rebuild yourself or have it done?
If you did it...where did you get the shims, etc?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

So, to make a pun." HEI is pointless"
Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by shoptek
Jim,
Any speed shop would have the shims.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
please keep in mind if you want to consider an electronic conversion kit over points that there is no performance improvement.
I see I have indoctrinated Barry well...
I highly recommend not switching to an electronic conversion. Rebuild the distributor to take the slop out of it. Install a good set of points, such as the NAPA CS786 and a correctly matched vacuum advance control unit. This setup will outrun any e-conversion. If you want a performance edge, run the stock points with an MSD-6AL setup. This will outperfrom anything on the market.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
71LS5Stingray
Intermediate

Gentleman, I have been around racing for the better part of my life (Busch and IMCA Dirt Late Models)

If a points distributor outperformed everything on the market then we wouldn't have electronic ignitions in new cars... or magnetos in race cars...

Dual point distributors / points distributors are dated technology and have been for quite a while.

may work well, and satisfactorily, but to say they outperform everything on the market is just not true.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:47 PM
alanbl
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AirTrafficController
I'm thinking of going with a breakerless ignition system for my distributor. I want to use one of the kits that keeps the distributor stock.
I converted to Crane about a year and half ago and have been happy. I did this on a whim because it sounded good on paper and I convinced myself that I would no longer have to adjust the points. That being said, I can see no performance improvement. I also realized that I haven't touched the points in my '72 Landcruiser in over 5 years and it has run just fine. Granted, I only use it for snow plowing.

I was also severely reprimanded by Lars for this heresy while he was solving my carb problem. As I recall, he may have withheld a beer from my ration in the Viking Garage as punishment. I'd never want to risk this again.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM
71LS5Stingray
Intermediate

I converted to a mallory electronic from an accel dual point distributor after replacing points every 12 months. Every time I replaced points I noticed a performance improvement. I noticed a performance improvement the day I put in my mallory electronic distributor and haven't had to open it up since.

No maintenance required
smooth idle
no degradation from points wearing out

10 years and going strong as the day I put it in.

Get notified of new replies

To Going from points to breakerless - which brand?

Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 PM
BlueL36
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Top of the heap is "Breakerless SE"
I've had this setup in mine for three years without a problem. Easy to install and uses the existing one-wire, so you can't tell what is under the cap.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 PM
sethjohnson71
Racer

I've had the pertronix ignitor for two years no problems.........yet.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by shoptek
Jim,
I did it myself. I used Moroso shims from Jeg's. The Moroso shims are a smaller outside diameter but the inside diameters the same. They work.

Jim

Quick Reply: Going from points to breakerless - which brand?