C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 TH350 auto...What drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Vette80regon
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1980 TH350 auto...What drain plug?

My automatic TH350 trans-pan is leaky. I wanted to drain the transmission & put on a new gasket. The manual shows some TH350's having a drain plug and a filter of some sort...Well, I don't think my tranny has a drain plug.
Is it possible that not all TH350's have the tranny drain plug?

If so, to drain the tranny, is it advisable to simply unscrew the pan and drain it that way? How much fluid is going to come out?

Yes, I can rebuild an engine. But when it comes to carburators & auto transissions, I stay the H3ll away in fear

any tips?

AP
Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never seen a th350 tranny with a drain plug. I've always just losened the pan bolts, and let the fluid drain that way.
You'll get about 5-6 quarts to drain out.
It is best to leave some of the pan bolts in until it stops draining. then remove the rest. Warning there will still be about 1 quart still in the pan that youm will wear.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

most don't have a drain plug, they want you to drain the pan and change the filter
Old 04-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette80regon
My automatic TH350 trans-pan is leaky. I wanted to drain the transmission & put on a new gasket. The manual shows some TH350's having a drain plug and a filter of some sort...Well, I don't think my tranny has a drain plug.
Is it possible that not all TH350's have the tranny drain plug?

If so, to drain the tranny, is it advisable to simply unscrew the pan and drain it that way? How much fluid is going to come out?

Yes, I can rebuild an engine. But when it comes to carburators & auto transissions, I stay the H3ll away in fear

any tips?

AP
I normally use a syphon to suck the fluid out the dipstick tube. This will suck out most of the 5 qts the pan holds. Do not use any sealant on the new gasket and torque the pan bolts 3x to 100 inch pounds.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Rdavis
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I have seen over the years that they do not have drain plugs. Funny how gm couldn' t ad a 50 cent drain plug to their transmissions.

Unbolt the pan & carefully tilt it to one side to let enough fluid out so you can go down with it with out dumping it all over yourself. It can be messy.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:06 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Years ago I wanted to change the trans fluid in my '77 and decided it was a good opportunity to do something about not having a drain plug in the Turbo 350 pan. After dropping the pan, I checked in the valve body area for a location where a plug would not interfere with anything and welded a 1" square X 3/8" piece inside the pan at this location. I drilled a hole and tapped it for a standard oil drain plug and viola... it now has a factory looking drain plug.

I'm sure that someone out there is now telling folks how his Turbo 350 came from the factory with a drain plug.

As for why the factory didn't do this... well I could tell you about the Mobil engineer that decided changing his own oil in his Rambler was something he could easily handle on his own... but that's another story for another day...

Most of the aftermarket transmission pans do come with a drain plug.

GUSTO
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I have never seen a factory drain plug on a Turbo 350.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Joes80
Instructor

From what I understand they did not come with a drain plug. I have an aftermarket aluminum one from summit with a drain plug, cheap enoguh and easy to replace.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Joes80
Instructor

Originally Posted by DR.Jay
I have never seen a th350 tranny with a drain plug. I've always just losened the pan bolts, and let the fluid drain that way.
You'll get about 5-6 quarts to drain out.
It is best to leave some of the pan bolts in until it stops draining. then remove the rest. Warning there will still be about 1 quart still in the pan that youm will wear.
That's the way some of the manuals say to do it, take the bolts out of one side and tip the pan. Very messy.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:39 PM
bigjoepos
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I have gone the same route as Pete K and draw most of it out through the dip stick/filler port.

I use clear plastic or tygon tubing.
Find the right size that fits the port and slide it in all the way.

Connect this to a trap - jar with large stopper with two holes each with a short tube through holes. Connect one to the hose that is in the trans and the other to you vacuum source.

I use a small hand pump but some of those small 12 volt tire inflaters have a vacuum port also.

It is really easy. Less mess when you finally drop the pan.

You can use the same trap for removing the rear end fluid if you ever need to change it.

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 TH350 auto...What drain plug?

Quick Reply: 1980 TH350 auto...What drain plug?