C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 06:18 AM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings?

Eckler's is selling SS calipers with a new o-ring seal design on the pistons as an option instead of the typical double lip seals. They claim these are better for infrequently driven or "hard" driven Corvettes. Supposedly they last longer and are less prone to leak. All the other regular vendors seem to be only selling the original double lip seal calipers.

I only drive mine when the weather is nice and don't use it as a regular driver. I'm about to replace all my calipers, pads and brake lines etc and was wondering if this was a truly better design for the long run or just some sales hype.

Does anyone know any pros/cons regarding this o-ring design or used these calipers???? They cost $10 more per caliper.
Thanks!!! :yesnod:
Old 10-16-2001, 07:19 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings? (Cajun75)

The O ring calipers are designed to prevent air pumping back into the system. If/when you replace your rotors, most do not or cannot "true" the rotors to the front hubs or rear spindles like the factory did. This causes runout...which causes air pumping back into the brake lines, causing loss of pedal. This is OFTEN discussed on this forum. I had the problem with my 69, and tried all the tricks. Rebuilt my calipers with the O ring kits on all 4 corners and have had no loss of pedal for over a year. They're well worth the few extra bucks. Chuck
Old 10-16-2001, 09:20 AM
Ken73
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

I'll second that - I rebuilt my calipers with the O-ring kits. Not a problem since! If you have ANY leaking issue and you've got the extra money.. DO IT.

Ken
Old 10-16-2001, 09:39 AM
johnnyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for the O-ringed calipers from Vette Brakes and love 'em. Had them on my car 2 years. No leaks or air pumping. I drive it only about 2000 miles a year so I went with DOT 5 also....
Old 10-16-2001, 05:05 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the feedback guys!!:cheers:

I definitely think I'll go with VBP package with O-rings.
Old 10-18-2001, 03:32 AM
GORDO77
Advanced

I also went with VBP o-ring ,4000 mi this summer and no problems :seeya
Old 10-19-2001, 10:01 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings? (GORDO77)

This is just a heads up.... not a flame...

In some instances, the "zero tolerance" setup can have a problem. If your rotors do, in fact, have excessive runout, the o-ring setup apparently works so well that you keep driving the car until the repeated bashing of the piston/o-ring against the caliper bore (due to runout) causes the bore to "egg-shape". I would suggest that if you have runout, correct it- regardless of whether you use the o-ring setup or not. Using the o-ring setup to cure -excessive- runout is like treating the symptom, not the cause. It's much less expensive to fix runout than it is to replace all four calipers.
Old 10-19-2001, 03:30 PM
marky mark
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings? (Tom454)

I'm having a similar problem with air getting in the lines. We replaced the right rear caliper, which had a leak, with a new O-ring style from Ecklers. Had a good pedal for a day and now it's back down to the floor. No apparent loss of fluid from master cylinder. Next I thought about replacing the master cylinder (not power brakes), just to be sure it wasn't that.

MY QUESTION IS: What is meant by the term "Run-Out", and how do you correct the condition? Also, I've heard that the master cylinder must be bleed (sp)off after the 4 calipers are done. If that wasn't done would you notice the same problem?
Regards, mark :flag :chevy

[Modified by marky mark, 2:33 PM 10/19/2001]
Old 10-19-2001, 03:43 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings? (marky mark)

If you are installing a new master cylinder you need to bleed it before bleeding the calipers. If you don't you will just be putting air into the system and you will never get a hard pedal.
Old 10-19-2001, 03:55 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I honestly don't recall what it said in the Vette Brakes instructions...but when doing any caliper 'ohaul.....toss the springs, not needed, no egg shape problems, no nothing....like any other brake any runout just pushed the pistons back into the calipers, and loostens up the pads for near zero drag...temps down mileage up...and pedal is only marginally softer....no loss....bad initial design....no reason to repeat previous mistakes....I have done this with the original type pistons/lip seal, and the O ring style also...no problems in over 5 years of performance street driving, including stops from over 130 mph, many of them....

GENE
Old 10-19-2001, 03:56 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings? (Steve Grodin)

I agree that runout needs to be corrected by the o-rings are superior to the lip seals.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings?

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers...lip seal vs. O-rings?