C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric static coming off alternator bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Electric static coming off alternator bracket?

I have a couple month old powermaster alternator. I was running the car tonight and noticed a a few sporratic sparks coming off the March alternator bracket ends where it is bolted into the block and the alternator.
I know the engine is grounded and the alternator is wired stock with a 4 gauge wire running straight back to the battery as well. You can see the arm going from the cylinder head to the top of the alternator, that is was is sparking at both ends. Very small sparks, the battery gauge reads fine and battery has plenty of charge. Any ideas?

I was guessing since the alternator housing is grounded with then engine and the arm is mounted with johnny joints and they a greased that the current is jumping accross the joints a little to try and stay grounded.
Attached Images    

Last edited by King Lear; 04-19-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you've got SS braided ignition wires, if that is right are they grounded?
Old 04-19-2007, 09:58 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by shafrs3
I see you've got SS braided ignition wires, if that is right are they grounded?
Yep, I have a wire running off both sides going to one of the valve cover bolts. Using the multimeter I have continuity between the bolt and the engine ground.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Sparks mean there is a potential between the two locations that are sparking. There must be a bad connection somewhere. Go throught and check all your connections.

I know that my answer is a litle vague, but there is a voltage difference between the 2 location that are sparking. For instance if you connected a wire between the sparking areas, it would equalize the potential. There must be a bad connection in the local area.

Last edited by oregonsharkman; 04-19-2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:02 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you got the stock ground wire on the alternator casing?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

you need the alternator case grounded thru a wire, those heim joints and chrome brackets will suck as a ground path.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:19 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noonie
Have you got the stock ground wire on the alternator casing?
Yep, stock wires with the additional 4 gauge power wire running back to the pos battery terminal.
I just thought about the ignition wires ground on the VC bolt, the rtv on the valve cover bolt may have prevented them from properly grounding the plug wire shielding. I just diconnected that ground wire and a ran a direct ground wire from the plug wires to the frame ground. It is too late for me to start it up now to see if that was it, but I guess I will know tomorrow.
Thanks for the input guys,
Rich
Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
you need the alternator case grounded thru a wire, those heim joints and chrome brackets will suck as a ground path.
Thats a good point too, if the other fix doesn't work I will run a direct ground wire to the case and see if that solves it. That makes more sense, it will spark at the engine side then a second later on the other, never both side at once, that is what got me thinking it was joints since they never really tighten down as one solid piece.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by King Lear
Yep, stock wires with the additional 4 gauge power wire running back to the pos battery terminal.
I just thought about the ignition wires ground on the VC bolt, the rtv on the valve cover bolt may have prevented them from properly grounding the plug wire shielding. I just diconnected that ground wire and a ran a direct ground wire from the plug wires to the frame ground. It is too late for me to start it up now to see if that was it, but I guess I will know tomorrow.
Thanks for the input guys,
Rich
There should be a black ground wire attached to the case of the alternator where the wire loom bracket is bolted. This goes into the harness and also bolts to the front of the core support on the drivers' side. You can see it with the hood open. It is attached there with a sheet metal screw and usually is a bad connection. I usually redo that. I also run an additional ground from the same place on the alternator down to the frame directly below. It never hurts to have extra grounds.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:02 AM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by noonie
There should be a black ground wire attached to the case of the alternator where the wire loom bracket is bolted. This goes into the harness and also bolts to the front of the core support on the drivers' side. You can see it with the hood open. It is attached there with a sheet metal screw and usually is a bad connection. I usually redo that. I also run an additional ground from the same place on the alternator down to the frame directly below. It never hurts to have extra grounds.
All you guys were right, I ran the test light on the case to the ground and it was variable, so I put a ground wire on alt case and it was reading good after that, the alt bracket was not grounding the alt case.

Last edited by King Lear; 04-20-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
Sparks mean there is a potential between the two locations that are sparking. There must be a bad connection somewhere. Go throught and check all your connections.

I know that my answer is a litle vague, but there is a voltage difference between the 2 location that are sparking. For instance if you connected a wire between the sparking areas, it would equalize the potential. There must be a bad connection in the local area.
Bingo
Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 PM
King Lear
Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

That was it, just had it running and no more spark,
Thanks too all that helped,
Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Electric static coming off alternator bracket?

Quick Reply: Electric static coming off alternator bracket?