C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

other ways to check for a rod knock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:09 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default other ways to check for a rod knock?

my fresh motor has a knocking sound from deep within the bowels. i really doubt it's a rod knock but that sure is what it sounds like. i pulled the wire off each plug while at idle and the knock never went away, which should mean no spun bearing, but i digress.
i'm thinking that my crank scraper shifted when i put my pan on and that's the source of the knock. if so, i'll let it go.
anybody else have some slick shadetree check for a rod knock?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I can't think of any other way to check. As much as it hurts, if it quacks like a duck....

Me, I'd have to drop the pan and have a look see.

BTW-- How's the ankle?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you drained the oil? Strain the oil with a coffee filter, and check for metal. If it's clean then you probably don't have any wearing soft metal parts.

Pull the pan after the drain, and inspect the scraper for any contact damage.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 AM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the fuel pump rod ....

I had a fresh SB that sounded like a rod or a wrist pin slamming against something ...

I isolated the knock as close as possible by "listening" through a piece of heater hose. I swapped out the pump rod ... smooth and silent for 5 years now.

Good Luck !

Last edited by fotyfobravo; 04-29-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Have you drained the oil? Strain the oil with a coffee filter, and check for metal. If it's clean then you probably don't have any wearing soft metal parts.

This didnt work for me.Tried it once back in the early 70s.The oil was to thick or the filter not poreous enough. Stinking oil stayed put after just a little bit drained through.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:00 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo

I had a fresh SB that sounded like a rod or a wrist pin slamming against something ...

I isolated the knock as close as possible by "listening" through a piece of heater hose. I swapped out the pump rod ... smooth and silent for 5 years now.

Good Luck !
That's as good a suggestion as any. I've seen it too back in my tech years. The pump rod *can* sound just like a rod knock.

Also by the way, can the harmonic balancer when it comes loose or apart. Get down there and check it too.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
This didnt work for me.Tried it once back in the early 70s.The oil was to thick or the filter not poreous enough. Stinking oil stayed put after just a little bit drained through.

Yeah, I guess that does depend a lot on the weight and viscosity of the oil. Thinner oils and synthetic oils will filter better than thick dino oil.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:09 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I guess that does depend a lot on the weight and viscosity of the oil. Thinner oils and synthetic oils will filter better than thick dino oil.
Sure it does. Another thing to look at would be/could be sending the oil out for a sampling. Do a Google search for the service .... what they will need is an ounce of the used oil and they will check it for metals suspended within it. Kinda like a **** test for your motor :-)

That service may even be available where he's located. Here in San Diego we used to have them sent to LA but there may even be a place that does it here in town now, for all I know.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Vette Crazzy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo

Good Luck !

vc
Old 04-29-2007, 01:49 PM
coinwasher
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree pulling the pan on a C3 is much easier than it seems. Remove the two bolts where the steering bolts to the frame on the passengetr side with the car jacked up and the front wheels will point at each other, the steering stuff just hangs out of the way. Use one of those new one piece blue pan gaskets and it really goes well. I have swapped out an oil pump before in an hour and a half.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:54 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

If the coffee filter is too small, how about swiping a pair of pantyhose from your spouse? Use them to strain the oil. May not catch the small stuff, but it will get the chunks.

And I, too have heard fuel pumps knock like a rod. One was so bad the knock sensor "heard" it and retarded the timing so far it wouldn't hardly run. Good thought.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:17 PM
jerrylee
Pro

[QUOTE=SanDiegoPaul;1560022796]Sure it does. Another thing to look at would be/could be sending the oil out for a sampling. Do a Google search for the service .... what they will need is an ounce of the used oil and they will check it for metals suspended within it. Kinda like a **** test for your motor :-)
Try [blackstone-labs.com]....They send u a free sample bottle n you just send 20 bucks along with the oil sample
n they will anylize your oil 4 you.....Jerrylee///
Old 04-29-2007, 02:45 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Sure it does. Another thing to look at would be/could be sending the oil out for a sampling. Do a Google search for the service .... what they will need is an ounce of the used oil and they will check it for metals suspended within it. Kinda like a **** test for your motor :-)

That service may even be available where he's located. Here in San Diego we used to have them sent to LA but there may even be a place that does it here in town now, for all I know.
If you're stuck for what to search for, try Spectrometric Oil Analysis Testing

They burn your oil sample and from the colours in the light spectrum that are given off, they can determine what metals and how many parts per million of it are suspended in the oil

Last edited by saudivette; 04-29-2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:52 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another possibility is a loose flywheel bolt or a cracked flywheel.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:33 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

i'm not going to base any decision on what i find in the pan. the motor doesn't even have 50 miles on it yet, there will be stuff in there.
i'm thinking you guys might be right on the fuel pump rod. i didn't think about it when i put everything together but i put a standard steel (lightweight) pump rod on a roller cam. this is my first roller motor so i'm thinking i probably shouldn't have done that. steel on steel not generally good.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:44 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

AH HA! I bet you need a different push rod. Drop the fuel pump and start it up. There'll be enogh gas in the carb to prove one way or the other..

Good Luck
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM
slowride262
Advanced

I had a cracked fly wheel that sounded just like a bad bearing in a 72 Chevelle.But then again I also had a S-10 that had the wrong fuel pump in it and the rod made a Sh(t load of noise to.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:49 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW....I rebuilt an engine in a Chevy pickup once, opted for the pretty Mr. Gasket chrome pan. Fired it up and had a light knocking sound. Turned out to be the pan. It was not a stroker motor.

Get notified of new replies

To other ways to check for a rod knock?

Quick Reply: other ways to check for a rod knock?