C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker stud sealer and torq questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
colorado1967
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rocker stud sealer and torq questions

I have a set of ARP screw in rocker studs and the instructions indicate to lubricate the threads, not seal. It also says to torq to 70 lbs if using 30w engine oil.

- I always thought screw-ins were installed with gasket sealer not just lube. Is this correct?

- 70 lbs seems high for torq, 186 heads (350-L46). I do run Rotella 10W-30. Thoughts on proper torq?

I greatly appreciate all feedback and shared knowledge.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

I use thread sealer or pipe dope ,I think sealer is better than oil because some of the stud holes go into the port,so if you do not have a good seal you could suck oil through the threads and into the cylinder.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 AM
colorado1967
Instructor

I know some studs go into the water jacket area which is why I asked about sealer.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
GasketDude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most packaging of parts comes with the standard paper instruction insert for general use. In your application use the liquid sealer on threads during installation and torque to spec. When the stud body bottoms out on the head you won't have to move much to get to 70 lbs.

Remember, your going to have to switch to different lock nuts now for these studs - like we talked about at NAPA a few weeks ago. ARP studs use rolled threads, stock crimped lock nuts are not going to work correctly. Thought you were going to replace yours with the stock screw in type? Sounds like it's still not on the road yet.

Later.

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker stud sealer and torq questions

Quick Reply: Rocker stud sealer and torq questions