C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Reverse

Old 05-06-2007, 03:41 PM
depdep3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Reverse

Having troubles getting my 71 4-spd into reverse. This problem has been around for a while but now it is worse. I don't think the problem is in the transmition, I think it is in the linkage/shifter.

I can shift into 1 - 4 fine, absolutley no problem. The problem is (while in nuetral) I can not go to the left far enough to go up into reverse.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Removed shift **** and reverse lockout rod. No change.

2. I have disconnected the reverse cable at the steering column. No change.

3. Tried to go from 1 to rev, 2 to rev, 3 to rev, 4 to rev, all with the same results. No change.

Before it got bad I could jiggle the shifter and get into reverse. Reverse worked well and I could get out of reverse fine.

Help!!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:47 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by depdep3
Having troubles getting my 71 4-spd into reverse. This problem has been around for a while but now it is worse. I don't think the problem is in the transmition, I think it is in the linkage/shifter.

I can shift into 1 - 4 fine, absolutley no problem. The problem is (while in nuetral) I can not go to the left far enough to go up into reverse.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Removed shift **** and reverse lockout rod. No change.

2. I have disconnected the reverse cable at the steering column. No change.

3. Tried to go from 1 to rev, 2 to rev, 3 to rev, 4 to rev, all with the same results. No change.

Before it got bad I could jiggle the shifter and get into reverse. Reverse worked well and I could get out of reverse fine.

Help!!
What kind of shape is the transmission mount in , and also could the shifter handle be hitting the console or rubbing it enough to not be able to shift into reverse? Peace,,, Moosie
Old 05-06-2007, 04:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Sounds like the shift linkage either has some "slop" in the bushing/s or there is some binding between the link arms. If you feel some looseness in the linkage going into any gears, you should check out the link arms/bushings to see if they need tightening up.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:06 PM
depdep3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mounts look good. It is a stock/original shifter so I do not think anything is snagging.

Nothing looks too lose, just some normal slop.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If there is much "slop" in the links, the bushings probably need to be replaced. This is a pretty simple task and low dollar improvement. Suggest you buy a bushing kit and see if it fixes your problem. If you want to have some confidence that it will help, you get under the car and have someone else shift into the various ranges and see if any binding occurs.

Get notified of new replies

To No Reverse

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Reverse