C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Ramps (pics & instructions) by popular demand

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 04:50 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C3 Ramps (pics & instructions) by popular demand

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but if not I am sure it will get moved.

I get lots of questions about these ramps so here are some pictures and the instructions are at the end of the post.

Instructions:

The ramps are indeed easy to build. Both sections are built identical. The ramps are 10'9" in length. You can construct them from 2"x10" or 2"x12". In this set I used 2"x10" and then nailed a couple of lengths of 1"x6" on each side on the bottom to give some extra lateral support. The top and bottom are 2"x10" with 2"X10" uprights on 16" centers. You will need 2 sheets of 1/2" plywood or wafer board for the sides. Cut each sheet of plywood into 3 strips 16" wide. It will take one sheet per ramp. Use 2 1/2" spiral nails or 2" drywall screws on the side pieces. Use 3 1/2" spiral on the framework. On the ends where the car comes up, spike another piece of 2" x 10" to support the planks for driving the car up on. These 2 planks only need to be about 7' long with a couple supports under them. With that short a length my side pipes still clear fine. I am going to mount a couple of permanent lights and a 110v receptacle on the inner sides of the supports. If you have a good level floor they will be very stable and will support a bulldozer. I can almost sit on the floor under the car but not quite. I mark the floor with a felt marker so that each year it only takes me about 5 minutes to place them and drive the car up on them.

Coming soon - The template for my bracket I fabricated to mount my GPS and cup holders. The bracket requires no modifications or extra holes to mount.

Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

great ramps and very good pics of them.

would you mind if I pulled the pics and text off the thread and created a .PDF file of the info to post up on my website's tech articles page for others to benefit from? Your name would of course be listed as the author for proper credit
Old 05-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Originally Posted by BarryK
great ramps and very good pics of them.

would you mind if I pulled the pics and text off the thread and created a .PDF file of the info to post up on my website's tech articles page for others to benefit from? Your name would of course be listed as the author for proper credit
No problem Barry
Old 05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 PM
adam
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the rubber blocks used under the ramps.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Originally Posted by adam
What's the rubber blocks used under the ramps.
I put those blocks under the ramps when I drive the car on and off. If I wasn't lazy I would box in a couple to drive up on
Old 05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
lucky76
Racer

I don't know if I can drive a straight line good enough to drive up on that. It's not very wide and could do some serious damage if I slipped off one side. I think I'll stick with my jack stands for now.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
oberth1
Instructor

uh no way in hell...not with my luck!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 PM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

Here are some others....Including my own.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=Johnny%27s

John
Old 05-08-2007, 09:52 PM
tjhuyser
Pro

Originally Posted by lucky76
I don't know if I can drive a straight line good enough to drive up on that. It's not very wide and could do some serious damage if I slipped off one side. I think I'll stick with my jack stands for now.
quit hittin the bottle and you'll do fine!!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Carl Granquist
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Wood Ramps

I've built a set and use them and like them a lot. It was kinda fun to see it come together strong where it needed to be. Had help from a forum member though. Compression loading.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 AM
jetdoc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lucky76
Yup, my exact thoughts. Car is super clean Binnie, especially the underside, looks like you can eat on it.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That homemade set-up reminds me of my Kwik lift. Not sure of the cost for the home made variety, but the manufactured set-up is $900.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Ramps (pics & instructions) by popular demand

Quick Reply: C3 Ramps (pics & instructions) by popular demand