C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump.. Can I...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:16 AM
Witz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Pump.. Can I...

Install a stock pump and pulley and use it with the pulley set-up below? I have a double groove crank pulley, but I don't see how the power steering pump pulley will clear the alternator belt.

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

On my '81 the power steering pump runs off its own belt; three groove crank pulley with pump being the rear belt.
On yours, can you take the rear belt off the alternator and put a shorter belt to the power steering pump? Have no idea about the alignment...you may have to move your alternator. Any reason why you need two belts to the alternator?

Oh and nice looking engine.

Good luck with it.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Witz
Racer

If I move the alternator belt forward to the front groove on the crank pulley I would have to figure out a way to move the alternator forward... seems like a pain. I'm hoping there is a way to arrange the belts without moving anything - I don't mind buying different pulleys if necessary, but I'm not sure how best to do this.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Okay...I am confused. Are you not already running the alternator off both gooves in the crank pulley? Or am I seeing the picture wrong??

I was asking if you could just route one belt to the alternator, the front one, and then put a shorter belt on the rear groove of the crank pulley to the power steering pump. The alignment should be olay if the crank pulley you have on there does not have any kind of spacer or gap between it and the balancer. (Did that make sense?)
Old 05-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Stock power steering on Corvettes uses an add-on pulley on the crank. Not sure what set up you want to run, but pump pulley and alternator pulley are not in the same position and probably will not run off the same belt/track.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:26 PM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Okay...I had it backwards.....I was going from memory and should have looked at my car...even though it is in pieces.

The power steering pump runs off of a third groove on the very front. The way you have the belts routed to the alternator would hit the power steering pump. You would need to raise the two belts a bit...some kind of idle puller or something.

Sorry for the confusion....been too working on too many cars instead of my '81......
Old 05-13-2007, 09:04 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...1&d=1179103639

Here are some photos of '78 with air and ps

Outside belt on crank goes to PS
Middle belt goes to AC
Inside belt goes to Alt.

Last edited by David Ey; 05-13-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Rich's80
2nd Gear

My 80 has 3 groove crank pulley. power steering is driven from outmost groove.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Witz
Racer

Thanks guys - that makes sense and I can see how the alternator belt would interfere. I am wonder if I can put a double groove pulley on the power steering pump and run the alternator belt around it in the back groove and use the second groove on the crank and power steering to run the power steering.

If I want to spend $500 I see March has a really nice single belt set up for cars with alternator and power steering only.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Witz
Thanks guys - that makes sense and I can see how the alternator belt would interfere. I am wonder if I can put a double groove pulley on the power steering pump and run the alternator belt around it in the back groove and use the second groove on the crank and power steering to run the power steering.

If I want to spend $500 I see March has a really nice single belt set up for cars with alternator and power steering only.
I'm running a double groove pulley on my power steering pump..(502.)..the front groove on the PS pump has the alternator belt and the rear groove(towards engine) has the belt which runs on drive pulley and water pump from the PS pump...

You need to check alignment from your alternator pulley to your PS pump pulley and go from there...It may work if you use the double pulley on the PS pump...but I suspect you will have to change your alternator pulley if you go that route....

Rich
Old 05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Witz
Racer

Thanks guys! I'll be checking out my options this weekend (powersteering pump and Concept One box) is on the way. I'll post a photo once I figure it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Pump.. Can I...

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump.. Can I...