C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Turbo Baffles for side pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:05 PM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default STS Turbo Baffles for side pipes

Got the Baffles From JCL the other day , finished installing them today.
Not too difficult, and Very necessary. Im looking at 20hp maybe 30hp gain, on my 383, over the glass packs that I just took out.
Man these Baffles are Purty..Jim(JCL) here on the forum makes these things nice. Completely Hand made, fitted, welded and every part is spot on . Like a piece of art is what I thought when I looked them over. Heres some pics..
If your looking, Thanks again Jim.

PS. Im still Bench tuning the 750 Carb Ill be running with this Exhaust. I wont be starting it up until tomorrow.
Attached Images    

Last edited by 69vettester; 05-16-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:02 PM
andylmusic76
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mean these baffles give you more hp than the glasspacks in the pipes? i figured it would give less hp and more low end torque or something.
what's the noise like? it is louder or quieter than the glasspacks?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

TC. Your welcome......................JCL
Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by andylmusic76
you mean these baffles give you more hp than the glasspacks in the pipes? i figured it would give less hp and more low end torque or something.
The glass packs are VERY restrictive. Get the JCL baffles and you will feel the difference in low end torque. They are louder than glass packs, but not objectionable at highway speeds.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:07 PM
69vettester
Pro

Originally Posted by andylmusic76
Yes Much better flow Characteristics. Makes More HP and Torque, The torque Gain depends On specific Cam Profile.
These Baffles have a end Capped Center tube , You can drill a hole in the cap and Raise the decibles, But that doesnt change the Performance gains. the decibles is a matter of taste. Ive heard most say They are too Loud with a 3/8 Hole. Im not drilling any hole, Im interested in the Performance gain only.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:19 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 69vettester
Got the Baffles From JCL the other day , finished installing them today.
Not too difficult, and Very necessary. Im looking at 20hp maybe 30hp gain, on my 383, over the glass packs that I just took out.
Man these Baffles are Purty..Jim(JCL) here on the forum makes these things nice. Completely Hand made, fitted, welded and every part is spot on . Like a piece of art is what I thought when I looked them over. Heres some pics..
If your looking, Thanks again Jim.

PS. Im still Bench tuning the 750 Carb Ill be running with this Exhaust. I wont be starting it up until tomorrow.
are those steel or aluminum? mine are steel and have to be removed every 2 yrs to sandblast and repaint to keep the rust at bay
Old 05-16-2007, 08:56 PM
79VetOwner
Instructor

So you just remove your side pipe mufflers and put those in place? How big are they? Do they fit the Hooker sidepipes? They perform ok with no hole drilled?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Chandler
Instructor

I have been planning to get these for a while. When I get my tax refund I am ordering a set.

http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/index.html
Old 05-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Cory1970
Pro

I have had my STS baffels for 4 years with out a single problem. In my opinion they are be best mod I have done, period. They are well made and fit PERFECT! They are made to be a direct bolt on for the hooker side pipes.

They are made of steel, but mine have not rusted at all. They are louder than glass packs. In my opinion they sound better, but that is just my opinion.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Cory1970
Pro

jcl - Thanks These Have Been Great!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:23 PM
69vettester
Pro

Originally Posted by 79VetOwner
So you just remove your side pipe mufflers and put those in place? How big are they? Do they fit the Hooker sidepipes? They perform ok with no hole drilled?
Thats about it, The hardest part is getting the sidepipe tube apart, I put mine on 6 yrs ago and it was on there very solid. But putting the right oompfh on it and it knocks off. The rest is fun, getting the Baffles bolted in the tube is a matter of Careful common sense measurement and drilling (5/16ths holes).

Mine are 4" for Hooker sidemount corvette app's.

You dont get more performance with a hole drilled in the cap, you get More sound is all, to much sound for most.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
andylmusic76
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Duke94
The glass packs are VERY restrictive. Get the JCL baffles and you will feel the difference in low end torque. They are louder than glass packs, but not objectionable at highway speeds.
i thought my sidepipes were very loud for WOT, their quiet at cruising though. i plan to install an overdrive trans but this is something i will look into for the future.

btw i have patriot 4-in-1 pipes (3.5" diameter). will these fit in my pipes?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

I threw some of those STS Baffles on a 67 Corvette with a tiny little 434SB and I would have to say the sound was about like the Flow Master 40's with a bit more bite to them lol. But they sounded great and the car ran even better. This is with the cap on and undrilled.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

I got a set from Jim about a month ago. They are great!!!! I can actually here the motor winding up instead of the roar of straight pipes. I have not been able to drive much do to my on going over heating issues but I think I have that figured out now and I look forward to taking it on a long ride.

Jim, took the time to call me and let me know when he shipped them. We had a nice conversation which goes a long way when you consider how bad customer service has gotten now a days. The STS baffles are great products! I highly recommend them.

Wade
Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 AM
woodlandcorvette
Instructor

Good stuff I got mine a couple months ago and was able to hear them for the 10 miles my new transmision lasted I got from transparts on ebay Then had to pull trans out and send back, did get money back and am getting my new 2004r from bowtie this weekend I hope. Cant wait to hear it again. A little loud for me or maybe im just parinoid of the local police around here.

Now I here the mayor of our town is going to be my neighbor Have to go the other way instead of going by his house. Might throw a set of the vortec cones in to help the noise,a few times idling by a local police and Ill find out the hard way. But anyway like the mufflers and the sound just not sure about the neighbors/police yet. Our noise laws stats anything louder then stock is not legal. Hmmm that means most everybody that does any mod to there car.

Best Regards
Old 05-17-2007, 09:54 AM
69vettester
Pro

Originally Posted by woodlandcorvette

Now I here the mayor of our town is going to be my neighbor Have to go the other way instead of going by his house. But anyway like the mufflers and the sound just not sure about the neighbors/police yet.
Best Regards
I know its Not funny for you though. Ive heard Colo. is similar to Cal. with the Decible enforcement issues!
I had a Local Cop come by my Garage here in Florida I was just then installing a big new engine, He saw my sidepipes too and Thought the Whole thing was Very Cool. Seemed to genuinely admire My efforts.
Regards
Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Blown75
Advanced

Looks Like I will be giving you a hollar when I finally get my Sides off

That and getting it started and driving again

Get notified of new replies

To STS Turbo Baffles for side pipes

Old 05-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 69vettester
I know its Not funny for you though. Ive heard Colo. is similar to Cal. with the Decible enforcement issues!
I had a Local Cop come by my Garage here in Florida I was just then installing a big new engine, He saw my sidepipes too and Thought the Whole thing was Very Cool. Seemed to genuinely admire My efforts.
Regards
The local police here give me the when I go by them. Never had an issue with the side pipes and STS baffles. I'm sure if you had a loud muffler on a DD type car they might have a different attitude.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Cory1970
Pro

Some cops give me the evil eye and some give the thumbs up... just depends....
Old 05-18-2007, 01:13 AM
woodlandcorvette
Instructor

Thats good to know I havent had any trouble yet with locals around here. I was getting some looks when 1st put engine in and was driving around without hood. But once hood was on no problems so far. My transmission arrived and I picked it up today now I want to take tomarrow night off and get this thing installed. This car is driving me nuts sometimes.

Best Regards

Quick Reply: STS Turbo Baffles for side pipes