Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-22-2001, 10:26 AM   #1
spokewrench
CF Senior Member

Default What it cost to restore a vette! WoW!

I was adding up what we have in our "70" Vette, and was wondering what others have spent! I have completed every mechanical issue, including:
Engine, trans, drivetrain, suspension, steering,and chasis and we still need to do a strip and paint, carpet, clock, bumpers, and mufflers and including the cost of the car have $14,000.00 in it and estimate it to final out at about 18-19k! However, the car will be nearly new and where can you get a nice car like a vette for 18k!
WoW! I know it can be depressing adding up those bills , but I thought it might be an interesting poll.
spokewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 10:29 AM   #2
Alwyn678
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (spokewrench)

I am not suprised and 18 to 19k is still a Bargain for such a spectacular car....I am doing most of the work my self and figure I will have about 15k into my car..but it will be just like a new vehicle when I am finished.....Try getting this kinda attention and enjoyment out of a new vette!!! I think NOT
Alwyn678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 10:40 AM   #3
MasterDave

The last time I added up my receipts it was somewhere between 20-21K including the price of the 'hulk'. I did 96.5689 % :conehead of the work myself or the price would have been way too high. Very expensive for sure. Hang in there..... :crazy:
MasterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 10:55 AM   #4
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via AIM to 427V8
Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (MasterDave)

Yea, my estimates are in the $20-25 range, but that is with a way too expensive engine.

Besides, I'm hoping that 10 years from now 20k will seam pretty cheap for a '69 :rolleyes:
427V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 11:06 AM   #5
Alwyn678
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (427V8)

Yea, my estimates are in the $20-25 range, but that is with a way too expensive engine.

Besides, I'm hoping that 10 years from now 20k will seam pretty cheap for a '69 :rolleyes: [/QUOTE]

I am sure that it will Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:40 AM   #6
70PurpleLS7
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to 70PurpleLS7

I just dropped $2,500 in shocks, rotors, calipers, etc, etc... and that was just in parts - me doing the labor (at a major discount is prices also I might add)

Over the years I never bothered adding it up... and I haven't on the Camaro either and that's another money pit. But it sure does get expensive and never ending :p:
70PurpleLS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:34 PM   #7
Alwyn678
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (70PurpleLS7)

It is a never ending process as well.......I will always be upgrading my car!! Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:58 PM   #8
Corvettes White
CF Senior Member

You are not alone. My bills are up there with yours for our '69. Thankfully I am on the down hill side.

George
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 04:36 PM   #9
Budman68
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Send a message via AIM to Budman68
Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (999)

In one of the past Hot Rod mags a guy confested to spending $100,000+ on his ride. I think it was a 442 or something like that. It's like you house, just keep investing and one day it will pay off.
Budman
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 04:55 PM   #10
MotorHead
CF Senior Member

Location: Never argue with Morons. If you do, you'll lower yourself to their standards, and they'll win, based on experience !!!
Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (Budman78)

Spent 4 grand last year on a few odds and ends :D
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 08:18 PM   #11
Mayo_007
CF Member

Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (MotorHead)

Yeah, it's alot, but it's paid for when finished :cool: All you have to do then is drive and enjoy :seeya
Mayo_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 09:47 PM   #12
paul 74
Ontario, Canada
Support Corvetteforum!

Probably $8,000 in original costs and $8,000 more to date, never to be returned. Not too much more left to do but it has been expensive; at least for my wallet. No regrets despite a few home repairs that waited in line. The proverbial smilies/mile have been just wonderful. The Wife took the day off today for the last ride of the year. Rain tomorrow and frost/snow closing in. It was a fitting end to a wonderful Corvette season: I cannot put a price on the great times this summer. There were cruises with the local Corvette Club, local show-and-shines, charity events, I managed to get to Carlisle, etc. Storage comes this Thursday until April. The white stuff is coming. Return on investment (ROI), much more than the dollars put out :).

Click the image to open in full size.
paul 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 10:06 PM   #13
ksbunting
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I have $17,449.34 into my 68 including the purchase price but who's counting. I still need a machine shop to rebuild the engine and then paint the car which I have already stripped and sanded. Will be under $25K when done I hope but will then have a new 68. Did all the work myself and you can't put a price on the enjoyment of working on it and how they look when done.
I tell my wife "some stick it in their veins, some in their noses, and I stick it in the garage" so no problem.
Keep going, you'll get there and it will be worth it when you're done.
ksbunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 11:12 PM   #14
Tom McCabe
CF Senior Member

I look at it this way, when I was younger, it was nothing to go out and spend 2 or $300 a weekend in Booze and having a good time, now I have something to show for it, besides if I woke up now in a different state in a girls bed I don't know, the wife would kill me, Vettes are keeping me alive as I see it.

Tom
Tom McCabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 11:24 PM   #15
Eddie 70
CF Senior Member
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (Tom McCabe)

I love this place, you guys make me feel good about how much I have in mine and how much more I have to go. :yesnod:

Tom, LMAO :lol: :lol:
Eddie 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 11:44 PM   #16
spokewrench
CF Senior Member

Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (Eddie 96)

O.K. so we're not the only ones spending alot on our toy. thanks for all the honest replies -Spokewrench and wife. :cheers:
spokewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:03 AM   #17
63Banshee
CF Senior Member

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!

It has been a lot cheaper for me since I got in on the deal ZIP put together a few weeks ago. I bought $1015 worth of parts (for my rear bearing replacement turned frame off restoration project) that would have cost another $250+ if it weren’t for the 5% online order discount, 10% off for an order over $850, and the free shipping promotion that was offered up until yesterday… now I have extra money for my ’64 Goat! Thank you ZIP!
63Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:05 AM   #18
63Banshee
CF Senior Member

Location: WANTED: '68 rear valance with b/u light assemblies IM, e-mail, or PM me here. Thanks!
Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (427V8)

Quote:

Besides, I'm hoping that 10 years from now 20k will seam pretty cheap for a '69 :rolleyes:
10 years from now these cars won’t be allowed on the road in many areas. What do you think that will do to Vette values?
63Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:19 AM   #19
PRNDL
CF Senile Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Mark Jackson @TraderJaxon
Send a message via AIM to PRNDL
Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (Budman78)

Quote:
In one of the past Hot Rod mags a guy confested to spending $100,000+ on his ride. I think it was a 442 or something like that. It's like you house, just keep investing and one day it will pay off.
Budman
YES, I read that article also!! The title of the article was the $164,000 question. They reviewed some of his expenses; Apparently he had to redo several parts of the car over and over again!! I dont understand why he kept paying to have it all redone. Even reading the article I still couldnt understand where all the money went!! The funniest part was that in spite of the title of the article, the guy actually admitted to having OVER $200k in the car!!! And it looked like a fairly ordinary car after all that!! Umbelievable!!!

and... I dont believe that in 10yrs our cars will not be allowed on many roads. MJ
PRNDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:19 AM   #20
daniel77350
CF Senior Member

Send a message via ICQ to daniel77350
Default Re: What it cost to restore a vette! WoW! (63Banshee)

I can safely say I've put about $5,000 into my baby this year...and now that I write it down :eek: :eek: See up until now I've never added it up....gee thanks for posting this topic, now i feel wonderful. :lol: just kidding, but this is the first time I've really thought about it. And here I was thinking I didn't even make 5K a year(it seems like that cus all my $$ goes into the vette, so Im always broke)...but I couldn't be happier.

Daniel
daniel77350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 12:19 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page What it cost to restore a vette! WoW!

Tags
1965, 1968, 1969, 68, 69, 70, c3, corvett, corvette, cost, costs, ground, restore, up, vette