C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 gas tank removal help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 02:04 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 68 gas tank removal help

How do I remove the hangers on the back of the spare tire carrier to get to the gas tank? (I got so mad I cut them off!!) Also, how do I remove the bolts/nuts on the ends of the bracket that hold the gas tank up? I can feel the top of the bolt through the frame, they are smooth like a carrage bolt and they just spin when I wrench on them!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The straps are held in by 9/16 inch nuts at the rear frame rail. The bolts are carriage bolts. The ones at the support beam should be regular bolts and nuts.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:19 PM
dragonracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine my 69, the bolts are 1 1/2 long takes a while for them to unscrew. You'll also need to remove the sending unit..it'll hang up on the frame otherwise. GL
Old 05-23-2007, 02:19 PM
MikesBlueGoose
Advanced

Mine weren't carraige bolts, I think they were 9/16" bolt heads. Don't remember for sure though.. thinking they were 9/16" or maybe 1/2".

Then again, there's been some 'glass repair on the rear of my car, so it may be different from standard.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:42 PM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just removed the gas tank from my '68. The front tank support (long metal bracket) was held in by standard bolts and nuts. To remove the tank I had to remove the filler neck otherwise the tank wouldn't rotate down and out. I did not have to remove the sending unit.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 PM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

There are 4 bolts that hold the tank support bracket to the frame. They are carrage bolts with only a small access hole in the frame. When I wrench on the nuts the carrage bolts just spin inside the frame!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Georgia1974
Instructor

I just went thru this with my 74 2 weeks ago. The bolts that hold the support are a PITA !! Mine were bolt heads not carriage bolts. I ended up getting a wrench thru the small access holes on the side of the frame. But it was not easy and it was by far the most difficult part of taking the tank out. I feel your pain. Good luck
Old 05-24-2007, 06:35 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Im starting to think the ol' "blue-tip wrench" will work best!
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be careful using heat around the gas tank! Boom!
Old 05-29-2007, 09:56 AM
salty_waders
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Georgia1974
I just went thru this with my 74 2 weeks ago. The bolts that hold the support are a PITA !! Mine were bolt heads not carriage bolts. I ended up getting a wrench thru the small access holes on the side of the frame. But it was not easy and it was by far the most difficult part of taking the tank out. I feel your pain. Good luck
I had more time to work on the tank yesterday. They werent carrage bolts afterall. There was some build-up of road dirt in the frame and it was covering the bolts so they felt like carrage bolts. After cleaning out the dirt I could feel the bolt heads. I was able to get a wrench on them and zip off the nuts with an impact.

I lowered the tank and I was amazed at how well the tank sticker was preserved. I took some pictures of the sticker if anyone is interested....
Old 05-29-2007, 02:34 PM
rcsron
Advanced

Default Gas tank

I went over my gas tank on my 71 a few months ago... Took mine to a radiator shop and had them tank it.. They found pin hole leaks where the straps were.. They silver soldered them and then sprayed a chemical liner in it.. New fuel eat the old tanks.. Also replace the sock . the sender unit comes out pretty easy.. I also took the time to installed a good electric fuel pump.. Mine starts so much easier now.. I also got a real neat electric radio antenna.. Easy to install when all that stuff is out of the way..
Took the high pressure washer to it also

Get notified of new replies

To 68 gas tank removal help

Quick Reply: 68 gas tank removal help