C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Delco plugs vs. Autolite vs. ??

Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default AC Delco plugs vs. Autolite vs. ??

Any major difference between these or Champion plugs? Engine has about 10-11k miles on it. Current plugs have been for a while have outer surface rust and were in when I got the vette this past December.

Also have pinging using 93 octane, fiddled with the timing but still have it under load, but will do a full tuneup. What about seafoam or water or Chevron Techron to get rid of possible carbon build up. Just put some right down the carb while runnung? I heard will smoke like hell for about 5 min. Can carbon buildup occur in this amount of milage?
Thanks in advance.
Glenn
Old 05-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Gunn353
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autolite I have found are junk, I have been recommended ACdelco...Champion arent that great. I would use Accel or my personal favorite NGK R plugs. Others may have further insight though.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Spark plugs is one of those issues that you'll find little agreement on. Everyone has a different favorite. A friend who used to race Chevies preferred Champion in small blocks and AC plugs in big blocks. I've gotten mucho advice to stick with AC plugs. A speed shop I deal with only installs NGK.

My own experience has shown me whatever application a manufacturer specifies should work fine. Years ago I worked for JC Penney in one of their auto centers (long gone now). We sold Champion, Accel and the house brand JC Penney spark plugs (made for them by Prestolite). I tried them all and found no difference as long as the heat range was right.

You don't need one of those big dollar spark plugs...platinum tips, funny electrodes, etc., unless your specific car calls for it. I tried Splitfire plugs in one car I owned...within a short time two of them cracked their ceramic insulators from the engine heat. They were a waste of money so I went back to oe plugs and had no more problems.

I know others will have their pet spark plug brand and that's fine. I'm just saying use whatever manufacturer's correct application and heat range and you should be fine.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:57 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Autolite have a wider heat range and foul less than the AC Delco plugs I have used. NGK are good too but I prefer to buy Autolite because they have solved fouling problems for me in the past.

-Mark.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

The R44's are a hotter plug I believe. Will this help with ping? Still curious re: carbon & ping relationship and a cure.
Glenn
Old 05-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

I had a 79 Z28 that would miss on everything buy Autolites.
Now this vette I have had Autolites and missed like crazy so I changed to R45ts AC and it purrs like a kitten.
I like AC but for a higher price I bet NGK are good also.
As for the detination, there must be a hot spot on the piston, I would tricke water down the carb but not to kill it while doing it,chances are , bad gas.
To spend a little money you could get a hotter coil and gap your plugs to .050 for a wider spark to take advantage of the better coil.
Also try heavier springs on your weights in the distributar to see if you can lose the detintion at lower pulling speeds.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:07 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tim H
Now this vette I have had Autolites and missed like crazy so I changed to R45ts AC and it purrs like a kitten.
As for the detination, there must be a hot spot on the piston, I would tricke water down the carb but not to kill it while doing it,chances are , bad gas.
To spend a little money you could get a hotter coil and gap your plugs to .050 for a wider spark to take advantage of the better coil.
Also try heavier springs on your weights in the distributar to see if you can lose the detintion at lower pulling speeds.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:18 PM
chuck d
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is simple. AC Delco's in Chevy's, Autolites in Fords. NGK's or Nipondenso's in cars from Japan.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Gunn353
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck d
It is simple. AC Delco's in Chevy's, Autolites in Fords. NGK's or Nipondenso's in cars from Japan.
Wait, maybe it's my honda 250R i run NGK's in...
Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chuck d
Is it Champions in Dodge???
Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 PM
merlin5353
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Old 05-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

I've run mostly autolites for the last year or so, never had an issue with em. Engine always starts with a quick turn of the key and never had a cylinder miss... I'm also running vortec heads now, still no problems.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:21 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Autolites for me,..the regular "copper-cores" which run about $1.25 each,..and this coming from a die-hard AC-Delco fan for any other part. For me, they perform better, last longer and have a variety of heat ranges. Here's a link,..go to "understanding spark plugs" for some good info.

http://www.autolite.com/carcare/techSpecs.php
Old 05-24-2007, 01:58 AM
68RATVT
Pro

I run standard NGK in all my vehicles,hot rods, bikes and DD, platinum,iridium,titanium,chromium or gold plugs in the older motors carbon up and DO NOT clean off, Unless it's been rebuilt for unleaded gas and emissions.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:41 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tim H
Looking for distributer springs and will try water re; carbon build up. I would assume that I know I've done it enough when the pinging stops.
Gas is Sunoco 93 octane.
The pinging started when I put a few gallons of reg a couple weeks ago. I assumed my engine is low compression 8.5 to 9.0 and would run fine on reg.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Different grades of gas comes from different tanks in the ground, the regular could have had water in it.
I would do the water thing, but don't expect miricals!
You might have to take out 4 degrees of timing, or put the heavy springs in so the advance has to wait until higher RPMs to open, this way the motor is having less demand on it.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
PETKAH
Safety Car

On my '70 had a ping then did a complete tune up. Still had the ping -
used GM top cleaner (About $6) lots of black smoke - no ping and now
runs like a rocket.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PETKAH
On my '70 had a ping then did a complete tune up. Still had the ping -
used GM top cleaner (About $6) lots of black smoke - no ping and now
runs like a rocket.
Gm top cleaner available at NAPA Auto Zone etc.. or from Chevy dealer? I want to get some.
Thanks, Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To AC Delco plugs vs. Autolite vs. ??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AC Delco plugs vs. Autolite vs. ??