C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak at rear of engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:35 AM
gonzo14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil leak at rear of engine

I just need a guesstimate from some of you folks. Here is what's happening to my fully restored car. Yesterday after parking it, I noticed an oil drip (on the floor and on the REAR bolt of the starter) and was curious where it might have come from. I did look around the head and valve cover and their was no moisture whatsoever. Could this be a leak at the rear of the oil pan (hidden by the starter), or since it is a rear bolt for the starter, could it be the main seal leaking a little???

thanks for your help

Gonzo
Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Gonzo,
Just a few things to look at, first check the distributor seal. It may be from there and dripping down the back on your motor. it could also be the rear main. I had to replace my rear main seal on my 81. Not sure what year you have and not sure if you have a 2 piece rear main. If you do and it turns out to be the seal its not a big deal to change it. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:20 AM
gonzo14
Racer

thanks for the advice Rich, I will check the distributor and around the rear of the engine. If their is any other advice, please let me know. No big deal, but I do want to take care of this problem. thanks!!

Gonzo
Old 05-26-2007, 11:23 AM
79VetOwner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Richard, I would first look at the distributor base for leaks then also look at the hole by the back of the intake where the oil pressure sending unit goes, I had a leak there when I put everything back together.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:49 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I just replaced oil pan gaskets on 2 of my Vettes. The leakage was confined only to the sump of the pan, nothing got as far as the starter or oil filter. Two years ago I had to replace intake manifold gaskets on one because the water passage was leaking. The coolant was slowly running down the back of the motor and dripping from the starter(and the little hole in the flywheel cover). Sure it's oil? Just a thought.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:54 PM
gonzo14
Racer

Originally Posted by KapsSA
I just replaced oil pan gaskets on 2 of my Vettes. The leakage was confined only to the sump of the pan, nothing got as far as the starter or oil filter. Two years ago I had to replace intake manifold gaskets on one because the water passage was leaking. The coolant was slowly running down the back of the motor and dripping from the starter(and the little hole in the flywheel cover). Sure it's oil? Just a thought.

I'm pretty sure its oil. I mean, when looking at it, it has that brown tint, and does not smell like antifreeze. It is not a serious leak, but will check around the back of the manifold also. Good tip. also, I just replaced the oil pressure line for the little part that expands when tightened. No leaks at that place of the engine. I need to do further examining. thanks for all of your help!!

Gonzo

Gonzo
Old 05-26-2007, 05:03 PM
wnmech
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont rule out a valve cover gasket. Mine had a slight leak from the rear corner of the valve cover and it did drip down the back corner of the block on to the starter.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:41 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with the above,..BB's had stamped steel valve covers which didn't do a great job of sealing,..plus oil pools back in the back, especailly on acceleration.

Also, the intake gasket can leak in the back between the block and intake.

Lastly, you can purchase a dye kit for about $12 from your local parts counter,..might be money well spent.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2007, 12:49 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Yep. Most likely suspect is a valve cover. Clean the back edges of the cylinder heads off well, then run it a while. It's probably running down the back of the block. If you have stock stamped covers, they've probably been overtorqued in their lives and don't seal well. If you find that's the problem, buy some Fel-Pro gaskets; but make sure you straighten-up the mounting surfaces before you install them...and use the "load spreader" plates under the cover bolts (at rated bolt torque).

Get notified of new replies

To oil leak at rear of engine

Quick Reply: oil leak at rear of engine