C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft brake pedal when engine running

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:58 PM
mrpakchong
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Soft brake pedal when engine running

Hi,

I have tried to bleed my brakes,
All 4 brake calipers are new, the M/C is new
I'm using a A Motive bleeder (very nice)
The M/C has been bleed before I applied it to the booster

The bleeding sequence I'm using is: LeftRear inner, LeftRear outer, RightRear inner, RightRear outer, RightFront and finally LeftFront.

The brakes are quite hard until I start the engine, then the pedal go easy down to the floor.

Any one have any hint what to do next ? . Could the booster be faulty ?.

Thanks for any help

Last edited by mrpakchong; 06-03-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

sounds good so far.
time for test drive!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:08 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will notice a small drop in pedal height as you start the engine. It should not go to the floor. Does the brake warning light come on when you press the brake pedal hard, with the engine running? If not, and you have a couple of inches of clearance to the floorboard, drive it and see how it feels. You may still need to bleed the brakes if the light comes on.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM
turbovette80
Instructor

same for me, all new parts, good pedal until engine starts then it sinks to floor.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 PM
mrpakchong
8th Gear

Thanks,

I will check the lights tomorrow and take another round with the bleeding, and also disconnect the vacuum line from the booster to see how the engine runs.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:59 PM
White79
Instructor

Chong,
Disconnect the vacuum lines to the Vacuum booster and plug them with your finger. If you get a good suction then its probably not the booster.
IMO

~Steve
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 AM
PNK
Instructor

I have had this problem many times when converting from manual to power brakes, i can get a good firm pedal until i start the engine then the vacuumbooster pulls the pedal to the floor, the car brakes fine but the pedal is just to close to the floor, i just fabricate a longer pushrod from the brakepedal and it solves the problem.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:56 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

In my world, these are indications of a failed master cylinder. Since you said you already replaced the MC I would re-bleed the MC and then do another round of bleeding on all four calipers. Are you sure that all the bleeder screws are in tight after bleeding. Did you fill the MC after each caliper was bled?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PNK
I have had this problem many times when converting from manual to power brakes, i can get a good firm pedal until i start the engine then the vacuumbooster pulls the pedal to the floor, the car brakes fine but the pedal is just to close to the floor, i just fabricate a longer pushrod from the brakepedal and it solves the problem.
The booster is only an assist device. It is a straight connection between your foot and the master cylinder. If the brake pedal is too low when the engine is running, you have a problem with either air in the system, or the master cylinder could be leaking internally. Another thing to check is the booster pushrod adjustment. You want a little free play, maybe .030 to .060 inches.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Gruber
sounds good so far.
time for test drive!
does it stop straight?
Old 06-06-2007, 02:07 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by big_G
The booster is only an assist device. It is a straight connection between your foot and the master cylinder. If the brake pedal is too low when the engine is running, you have a problem with either air in the system, or the master cylinder could be leaking internally. Another thing to check is the booster pushrod adjustment. You want a little free play, maybe .030 to .060 inches.
How do you ajust the pushrod can you do it with the
booster still mounted on the car

Last edited by TPI BOY; 06-06-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

sounds like air in the system to me.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
How do you ajust the pushrod can you do it with the
booster still mounted on the car
ttt
Old 06-06-2007, 03:58 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i adjusted the pushrod on my 69 last night......i had the seat out and crawled in head first to where the pedals are and you have to loosen a lock nut onthe push rod shaft and then turn the push rod to make it the length you want and then tighten up the lock nut.....its not technically hard but getting at those spots is really tough.....i had to use a long needle nose set of pliers to turn the push rod about 1/16 of a turn at a time to move it.....my back is still hurting ...i dont know how you could do it with the seats in
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
i adjusted the pushrod on my 69 last night......i had the seat out and crawled in head first to where the pedals are and you have to loosen a lock nut onthe push rod shaft and then turn the push rod to make it the length you want and then tighten up the lock nut.....its not technically hard but getting at those spots is really tough.....i had to use a long needle nose set of pliers to turn the push rod about 1/16 of a turn at a time to move it.....my back is still hurting ...i dont know how you could do it with the seats in
The adjustment for the power brake booster rod is usually at the end of the booster pushrod. You need to unbolt the master cylinder and move it away a little. No need to loosen the brake lines. Be absolutely sure of proper bleeding of the system before making any pushrod adjustments.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by big_G
The adjustment for the power brake booster rod is usually at the end of the booster pushrod. You need to unbolt the master cylinder and move it away a little. No need to loosen the brake lines. Be absolutely sure of proper bleeding of the system before making any pushrod adjustments.
Who's right ajust from inside or outside or can you
do it both ways
Old 06-06-2007, 05:27 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
Who's right ajust from inside or outside or can you
do it both ways
My Assembly manual and service manual list the brake pedal free-play (manual brakes) is adjusted to .25 inches. Adjustment is at the clevis under the dash. Power brake pedal free-play adjustment (.010 inches) is at the rod end between the master cylinder and the power booster.

Get notified of new replies

To Soft brake pedal when engine running

Old 06-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No one else has mentioned it, but it seems to me you're bleeding your brakes in the wrong sequence. You have the rear reversed...it should be right rear then left rear, then right front and finsihing up with the left front. You start with the furthest from the master cylinder to the closest.

It could be as simple as that...some air still in the line due to bleeding out of sequence.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:01 PM
0Corvette Engineering
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree.
Vacuum boosters are always spongy. Every car I've been in with the engine running I can put the brake pedal to the floor.

A little spongy is ok on a power system. the best test is to drive it and see how it feels then. Make some easy stops and then harder stops.

You'll know if it's working
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roughrider
No one else has mentioned it, but it seems to me you're bleeding your brakes in the wrong sequence. You have the rear reversed...it should be right rear then left rear, then right front and finsihing up with the left front. You start with the furthest from the master cylinder to the closest.

It could be as simple as that...some air still in the line due to bleeding out of sequence.
Are you sure thats right

Quick Reply: Soft brake pedal when engine running