C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power brake booster disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Power brake booster disassembly

Ok, so I've been trying to disassemble my power brake booster for the last hour and a half or so with no luck. What I'm struggling with is getting the front and rear shells separated. Is there a special trick to this? I realize the chassis overhaul manual calls for using a specialty tool, and that the housing is spring loaded, but it seems that you should be able to do the disassemble the booster without the specialty tool (especially since the spring doesn't seem to be very strong).

I've already done a bit of hammering to try and spin the housings, but I don't want to end up damaging them. I also spraryed the hosing flanges with lubricant to try and help ease things along with no luck.

Anybody have some ideas?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Joe45
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 66 GTO I left the brake master cylinder on the booster unit. Clamped the master cylinder in the vice. On the firewall side of the booster there was a hole in both sides of the booster bracket. I put a long rod thru them and twisted it. Came apart pretty easy. Plan on doing the same with the vette, just haven't looked at it close yet.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There are 4 places on the housing that are staked to keep the housing from coming apart. This should help
Old 06-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Maine Vette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I'll give it another shot. I'll have to take a close look for those tabs. I didn't notice them before, but I may have just missed them.

Get notified of new replies

To Power brake booster disassembly

Quick Reply: Power brake booster disassembly