C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excessive exhaust smell and smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:28 PM
My-Toy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive exhaust smell and smoke.

I need some help and input. I have 1974 350ci automatic. I have had the car for about 4 months with no issues. The motor was rebuilt about 11,000 miles ago. One time I had an issue where the right float stuck and overloaded the engine. I had alot of white/black smoke and excessive gas fumes. I cleaned the carberator and changed the fuel filter and the car ran fine for a few weeks with no smoke or exhaust smell until the fuel filter I put in took a dive on me. Element inside broke free and all the crap went into the carberator. Smoke and heavy exhaust smell on top of really running rough. This time there was so much crap in the carberator I decided to change it with a new one. Replaced with Edelbrock 4205 which was in it before. Put carb on and new fuel filter. The car ran better than ever, no smoke or excesive exhaust smell. Then me and my wife where on our way to a car show with no issues. I put about 100 miles on with no issues. I went to refuel, started up and the same crap came back to haunt me. Smoking really bad. Heavy exhaust smell and running rough. The oil is clear. I used a different brand of fuel filter and the car has a new tank at rebuilt. I think it might be the pvc valve or to much fuel line pressure (mechanical). This is starting to get to me. I made sure the fuel filter was in correct. I have not taken the cab apart and the choke is wired open. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:58 AM
hosspowerinc
Burning Brakes

Id be looking at the fuel pump....
Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
PETKAH
Safety Car

My '75 has some of the same problems - the solution was the tranny
modulator. It takes vacum from the intake manifold - if that modulator
is pluged up it can force back fluid/smoke into the intake manifold which
equals smell and smoke.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 PM
My-Toy
8th Gear

If the return line on my fuel pump plugged up could this put excessive pressure on my fuel filter and cause it to blow out?

Get notified of new replies

To Excessive exhaust smell and smoke.

Quick Reply: Excessive exhaust smell and smoke.